Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got Pax Baltica to the table. Tym and I played the tournament scenario to get the rules down, then played the early war scenario, which is shown here. Tym was Sweden, I was the Coalition.

Not realizing how disastrous it would be for Saxony to lose its last block on the first turn of the game, I used said block to pin a Russian force to allow some maneuver with the Russians (I don't recall what now, but whatever it was, it wasn't worth it). Thus, I made a the fatal mistake of letting Saxony get knocked out of the war at the very beginning, and they never saw fit to reenter. I presume they didn't like being used as Russian cannon fodder. Hence, it was just Russia against the Swedes for the first four (out of the total of ten) years of the game. Denmark finally came in on my side, while the Swedes had the Ottomans come in twice (the first time, they were only in for a year, as Austria went to war with them and so distracted them, though when they attacked the second time, they stayed in the war for the whole game) and the Ukraine rebelled three times. Sigh. Events just didn't go my way.

I was able to build up the Russian army to its maximum size, but with no allies for almost half the game, and facing those excellent Swedish armies, I eventually couldn't keep up with the losses. I didn't appreciate just how much the Russians need to feint, lure, and trap to kill off one of those armies, and so I was never able to. Sweden got Denmark down to 4 RPs, but was never able (until the last turn of the game) to take the one more territory they needed to knock them out of the war; even so, that theater was a side-show. The Danes tried besieging one of the Swedish territories in Germany a couple of times, but each time was repelled, and they didn't have the RPs - nor I the spare action points - to build them back up in a timely manner.

Tym's Swedes ended up winning the major victory, holding all of their territory as well as the two Polish capitals.

It's an amazingly fun game, very fast-moving. I hope to get it to the table again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game!

I feel like I learned a lot in this first play, and feel that each of us will be much better players the next time either one of us can play.

TYM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.