Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if this has been asked already. I'm new to the game and this is my main question after my first play (following the tutorial):

One way to decrease enemy morale is if the Pueblo Revolt Card #41 is removed from the game during Passage of Time with less than three red cubes in the Subjugate NM box.

Three red cubes remove this card automatically. My question is: How else is it removed? Is it only by another card such as Apache Wars or is there another way I'm not seeing?

Secondly, does this mean during EVERY Passage of Time following the removal of Pueblo Revolt Card #41 enemy morale is reduced by one if there are less than three cubes in the Subjugate NM box?

Third, how else are red cubes removed from the Subjugate NM box? I've just ended my first play (following the tutorial) and know it's rare because it never happened. Once they got there, they just sat there.

And Lastly why would you ever choose Good Medicine? It seems that adding black cubes to the Subjugate box which raises enemy morale at the end of the game guarantees defeat. Is there any way to remove these cubes?

Victory Checks main drawback, if you don't have enough VP's, is to reduce Military (which gets raised up by the number of men anyway) and costs you pop counters in Passage of Time. The rest is beneficial. It seems to me there's NEVER a good reason for choosing Good Medicine unless I'm missing something (which being new, I probably am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Three red cubes remove this card automatically. My question is: How else is it removed?

That's the only way. Note that while the card's in play, all enemy APs are spent on Subjugate actions until the third red cube is drawn.

Quote:
Secondly, does this mean during EVERY Passage of Time following the removal of Pueblo Revolt Card #41 enemy morale is reduced by one if there are less than three cubes in the Subjugate NM box?

Yes, but that's not all that common: see below.

Quote:
Third, how else are red cubes removed from the Subjugate NM box?

Per Joel in the thread Subjugation of New Mexico - A fresh look at what those red cubes are representing, only by events such as Apache War In NM.

Quote:
And Lastly why would you ever choose Good Medicine?

If Morale is higher than Military, you lose Military points. If you run out of Military points, you lose Culture points at double rate. If both hit zero, you lose the game. Good Medicine is bad but not immediately game-losing, and you might be able to come back.

Quote:
Is there any way to remove these cubes?

Not at the moment; I think there's been mention of some possible variant rules that might allow you to remove the cubes in the campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Three red cubes remove this card automatically. My question is: How else is it removed? Is it only by another card such as Apache Wars or is there another way I'm not seeing?

No.

Quote:

YES! The key is the perfect tense. Every time that you do a Passage of Time after the Pueblo Revolt has been removed from play previously, if there are < 3 red cubes in the Subjugation box, reduce Enemy Morale by 1.

Quote:
Third, how else are red cubes removed from the Subjugate NM box? I've just ended my first play (following the tutorial) and know it's rare because it never happened. Once they got there, they just sat there.

See the Major event on cards 02, 03, and 04.

Quote:
And Lastly why would you ever choose Good Medicine? It seems that adding black cubes to the Subjugate box which raises enemy morale at the end of the game guarantees defeat. Is there any way to remove these cubes?

No way to remove these. It's a desperation measure to forestal catastrophic defeat early on. It is a gambit that can work during the campaign.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joel. That helps immensely. It saves me wasting time on unproductive concerns. I'm obviously just getting the hang of this game but I can already tell it's special. The design notes show what a labour of love it is and validates my purchase which was motivated by learning something about a period of history I knew almost nothing about.

As a Canadian I'm more familiar with the Huron and Iroquois Confederacy. (I own Wilderness War). But I'm a big Western fan and the ability to play and learn something meaningful about the "other" side of one of my favorite periods is well worth the price of admission. History it would seem is no longer only written by the victors. Thanks for a unique take on an old theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.