Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
5-player session at the TRW game club in El Segundo, California yesterday. All participants (except 1) were primarily wargamers, and all were newbies to this game (except me).

One player opened with Durant, and ended up with the lowest mid-size cars. He tried to spread himself out but seemingly was in a bind for money most the time. Once he got stuck with a large stack of over-produced mid-size cars that didn't sell, so when they went to the junkyard he accumulated even more Loss cubes (which haunted him all game). With two Loans to pay off, his final tally was only around $1,700 (less than he started with), for last place.

Another player had money shortages too, and was buried in Loss cubes. During the course of the entire game, he used only 1 Salesman. He likewise took out two Loans, and tried to be the technology leader (Kettering), but was still conservative with production of his mid-size and then luxury vehicles. He finished in 4th place with about $2,800.

The third place player had a unique strategy - a mega site (3 Factories and a Parts factory) for economy vehicles. Howard was his favorite Character. On two different turns he produced twice in the mega-space, loading 20 cars. One time he sold them all but 1, and the other time he got stuck with 9 cars (Pintos!) unsold because he refused to Discount. He didn't take out any Loans, and tried to diversify at the end, but it was too late; final cash was around $3,700.

I tended to avoid the competitive mid-size market, instead focusing initially on luxury cars (using salesmen) and then expanding into economy models. Ford helped me expand my automotive empire, plus going first. I took out 2 Loans to maximize production, and often used a Discount strategy on the economy cars to force some of my opponents into having stacks of unsold vehicles. I finished in 2nd place with about $3,800.

The winner managed his money very well, and didn't take out any Loans. His balanced strategy of leapfrogging technology and closing old Factories for their reduced cash value worked rather well. He took advantage of Chrysler's last move in the Turn order, and also used Sloan plus closed Factories to reduce his losses (no Loss cubes at game's end). He never got into luxury vehicles, but made a killing on mid-size models; his final money was around $4,400.

We maxed out the board, from the mid-size Duryea to the luxury Cord. R&D cubes were expended often for technology and advertising, which made the Executive Decision rounds interesting.

Three players (me included) really liked the game, and the other two players thought it was good. All-in-all, a fun session amongst 5 friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never not be involved in two of the three types of car, and typically all three. Leapfrogging factories is critical up to a certain point, that point being where the losses will be less than the closure loss (when converted to cash).

I'd expect final scores to be higher with experience.

(The Durant opening is often used, but he's not my choice in the first turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
I would never not be involved in two of the three types of car, and typically all three. Leapfrogging factories is critical up to a certain point, that point being where the losses will be less than the closure loss (when converted to cash).

That's precisely what the winning player did.

Dearlove wrote:
I'd expect final scores to be higher with experience.

Yup, we all made some learning mistakes. Mine was not producing enough luxury cars on Turn 3 when I had too many Salesmen and then the 1 luxury demand tile was pulled.

Dearlove wrote:
(The Durant opening is often used, but he's not my choice in the first turn.)

The player (who was our lone eurogamer) skipped the Duryea space (paying 3 R&D cubes) because he didn't want to be the lowest mid-size vehicle, but that happened anyway. I'm thinking Durant should place in Duryea if he opens the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.