Subject: Orleans Game Group - Thursday, November 14th 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday November 14, 2013.

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones!

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: The Canadian Legion, Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road.

We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks and now hot food is also sometimes available so please don't bring in something from outside.

You should also bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion.

Also, please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Please note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress and act respectfully.

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Murphy
Canada
Orleans
ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I will be there, and if plan on bringing the pathfinder adventure card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
murphjp wrote:
I will be there, and if plan on bringing the pathfinder adventure card game.

I intend to be there too, and will pre-book a spot in the Pathfinder game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH!!!soblue

I forgot to wish Jamie a happy birthday yesterday cry

So - devil

Happy
Birthday
Jamie!

Hope you had a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rjbeeth wrote:
DOH!!!soblue

I forgot to wish Jamie a happy birthday yesterday cry

So - devil

Happy
Birthday
Jamie!

Hope you had a good one!

haha - I actually felt like crap and slept through it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think I'll make it this week unless the little one has a change in sleeping habits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've got some daddy-daughter time scheduled for tonight until 8pm. I'm still hoping to make it out for some games, but I will be late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
So Cameron and I arrived 5 or 10 minutes late to find a huge bunch (10?) already there...

Table 1 had the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set(?)
Table 2 had Dixit: Journey
So Cameron and I started Table 3 with 3 games of Jungle Ascent

From there, both Table 2 and 3 went to 2 different games of Blueprints

Colin then arrived and joined Table 2 for Small World

And Table 3 had
10 Days in Europe
Tobago
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, Justin, Martin, James and I played Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set for most of the night. It was looking pretty grim for the first half of the game, but we got things sorted out and with a little luck we managed to defeat the villain in the end. This is a game I was considering for myself, so I was happy to get to try it. It's a very interesting system that creates a dungeon crawl without the board, and an RPG experience that can be played solo. Pretty cool. It's no longer something I'm considering...now it's something I want. Crap...

After Pathfinder, we also played a game of Blueprints. Since Jamie declared that Cameron figured out a winning strategy in an earlier thread, Justin set out to do the same...and proceeded to break the game. LOL. Well, it's not precisely broken, but since the winning strategy is completely counter intuitive to the intention of the game, it seems broken.

Basically, ignore your blueprint, forfeiting 6 points, and just build a tower 5 or 6 dice tall. If you can get even 1 black dice at level 4 or higher, you get 8 points making up for the 6 you lost for not achieving your blueprint.

You are attempting to get the 2 bonus vp for having a building 5 tall, and you also want to try to get one of the other bonus vp cards for a total of 4 vp. This could be easier to achieve than attempting to have the highest scoring building, which only gets you 3 vp...and...if you manage to use a good combination of dice to build your tower, you will liking end up with a vp award too.

In the first round, Justin proved his theory by building a single tower that awarded him first place, the bonus of for 5 tall, and the bonus for 5 of one colour. 7vp in one round.

Now, obviously, players need to be paying attention to one another and try to stump one another by taking dice you think they need, but then you probably aren't making the best decision for your own building.

This is why it seems broken to me, or at least counter intuitive. The game is called blueprints, but not only is there no requirement to stick to your blueprint, the best strategy seems to specifically involve ignoring your blueprint, as there is not a single blueprint with a structure over 3 tall. And if you are trying to prevent other players from doing this, you are probably making less than optimal decisions for yourself. I think the game should require you to follow your blueprint, eliminate the bonus card for 5 tall, and eliminate the scoring for black dice above level 3. It seems boring to me if everyone is just trying to build the best 5 tall tower and stump one another along the way. Ah well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The better strategy is actually to follow your blueprint but also aim for 2 bonus cards at the same time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
The better strategy is actually to follow your blueprint but also aim for 2 bonus cards at the same time

I don't think so. The blueprints are never more than 3 blocks tall, so you only get 6 points and never the 5 tall bonus, but if you can get two blacks on level 4 and 5 or 6, then that's 16 points. Plus, if you're going for the 5 tall bonus, it's much easier to get one of the other bonuses as well. The 5 tall doesn't prevent you from going for any other bonus, whereas, if you are attempting the straight, then you can't also attempt the four of a kind. And getting a straight and all the same colour would also be more difficult than 5 fall and the same colour. Or 4 of a kind and all one colour, also less likely to happen. Anyway, I don't know the math.... Ask Colin, Justin, or Cam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I suppose - but in our game, I did the 5 tower in 2 of the rounds with black on top of both (plus another bonus each) and the winner of our game always finished their building plus a couple bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suppose - but in our game, I did the 5 tower in 2 of the rounds with black on top of both (plus another bonus each) and the winner of our game always finished their building plus a couple bonuses.

Good to know. I won't give up on it then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
Basically, ignore your blueprint, forfeiting 6 points, and just build a tower 5 or 6 dice tall. If you can get even 1 black dice at level 4 or higher, you get 8 points making up for the 6 you lost for not achieving your blueprint.

This seems way too luck dependent. What if the black dice come out with low pip values? Then you can't put them on top of your current tower at all. What if black isn't available on your last turn or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

This seems way too luck dependent. What if the black dice come out with low pip values? Then you can't put them on top of your current tower at all. What if black isn't available on your last turn or two?

You'd be screwed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

You'd be screwed

The luck of the dice effect ALL strategies. All things being equal though, you can get a much higher scoring building by not following the blueprint than following it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.