Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all done it, we've all seen it I'm sure. Your opponent fires 3 shots on a cloaked vessel with 3 hull, scores 2 hits and a crit. You roll one evade out of the whole lot, and the crit is "DIRECT HIT!" You've been oneshotted! Usually its due to a donatra/martok/Klingon shenanigans with Drex or Spock, but when it does happen it severely swings the game state.

So I started thinking... what would it take to one-shot just about any ship? I'm started thinking about month 3, and how I would say 99% of folks will move ahead to just within planet range, drop all shields and beam down either mines or troops. It can't be possible for a ship to get within range to shoot, or can it?

At first, I was tinkering with a 3 ship build, with the Elite Attack Die because I figured if it was going to be viable you had to have a chance at the planet too. It started as Enterprise, Vor'cha, and a Romulan warbird with cloaked mines. I couldn't *quite* get into range with the enterprise and the romulan captain - you would be banking on your opponent going forward 2 or 3 from the getgo and getting further along than they needed. I had so many off faction upgrades on the enterprise that Khan was the only choice. And, in the end, it wouldn't be a guaranteed working fleet. However, it might still be viable so I'll test it against a live player and see

So I tinkered some more and came up with a build that should be able to one-shot any ship that is within range 2 of the planet. Here it is:

IKS Negh'Var (30)
Kirk (6+1)
In'Cha (5)

Enterprise-D (28)
Picard (6)
In'Cha (5+1)
Romulan pilot (2+1)
Breen Aide (2+1)
Barrage of Fire (5+1)

Elite Attack Die (5)

99 points, most likely giving you initiative against even fed fleets that move last. This is VERY important as your placement will be in relation to where your opponent sets up.

The theory: Negh'Var uses In'cha to move 4, then 4 again hovering right next to the planet but putting everyone on the other side in range 3 - important for B.O.F.
Enterprise D moves forward 5, then In'Cha forward 3, then Romulan Pilot for another bank 1 to the positions shown. I believe picard's free action should be to target lock:

The blue dashed line behind the green base is the opponent's starting area, and the green base has moved to be within transporter range of the planet. Any ship who's initial move is to get within range of the planet on turn one can be a target!

Your dice:
Elite attack die: 75% chance to hit = .75 hits
BOF: 8 attack dice, 50% chance to hit/crit, 75% with target lock spent = 6 hits
bof misses/battlestations with target lock: 2.25 dice x 25% chance to miss (breen aide)= .5625 hits
Total = 7.3125 hits on average!

Please forgive me if my math is off, I rolled a bunch of dice and it was a very consistent 6+ hits/crits after target lock re-rolls and breen aide. Not to mention that the first attack the defender is rolling one less defense die, and most likely their shields will be down anyway. You may not need to use B.O.F. and could get lucky enough to one shot two different ships! I think target lock is better than battlestations in this case, you need the chances to roll those hits.

Can you imagine if your best ship was knocked out by two beefy ships before you even got to attack with it? Would you still go with the ground strategy first turn if you saw this happen and your other shots came up?

At any rate, this was just a thought exercise. I seriously doubt the viability of this build to actually win an OP3 with. But I will be EXTRA cautious of anyone that's showing a fast ship (Enterprise D or Kraxon) and In'Cha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
We've all done it, we've all seen it I'm sure. Your opponent fires 3 shots on a cloaked vessel with 3 hull, scores 2 hits and a crit. You roll one evade out of the whole lot, and the crit is "DIRECT HIT!" You've been oneshotted! Usually its due to a donatra/martok/Klingon shenanigans with Drex or Spock, but when it does happen it severely swings the game state.

So I started thinking... what would it take to one-shot just about any ship? I'm started thinking about month 3, and how I would say 99% of folks will move ahead to just within planet range, drop all shields and beam down either mines or troops. It can't be possible for a ship to get within range to shoot, or can it?

At first, I was tinkering with a 3 ship build, with the Elite Attack Die because I figured if it was going to be viable you had to have a chance at the planet too. It started as Enterprise, Vor'cha, and a Romulan warbird with cloaked mines. I couldn't *quite* get into range with the enterprise and the romulan captain - you would be banking on your opponent going forward 2 or 3 from the getgo and getting further along than they needed. I had so many off faction upgrades on the enterprise that Khan was the only choice. And, in the end, it wouldn't be a guaranteed working fleet. However, it might still be viable so I'll test it against a live player and see

So I tinkered some more and came up with a build that should be able to one-shot any ship that is within range 2 of the planet. Here it is:

IKS Negh'Var (30)
Kirk (6+1)
In'Cha (5)

Enterprise-D (28)
Picard (6)
In'Cha (5+1)
Romulan pilot (2+1)
Breen Aide (2+1)
Barrage of Fire (5+1)

Elite Attack Die (5)

99 points, most likely giving you initiative against even fed fleets that move last. This is VERY important as your placement will be in relation to where your opponent sets up.

The theory: Negh'Var uses In'cha to move 4, then 4 again hovering right next to the planet but putting everyone on the other side in range 3 - important for B.O.F.
Enterprise D moves forward 5, then In'Cha forward 3, then Romulan Pilot for another bank 1 to the positions shown. I believe picard's free action should be to target lock:

The blue dashed line behind the green base is the opponent's starting area, and the green base has moved to be within transporter range of the planet. Any ship who's initial move is to get within range of the planet on turn one can be a target!

Your dice:
Elite attack die: 75% chance to hit = .75 hits
BOF: 8 attack dice, 50% chance to hit/crit, 75% with target lock spent = 6 hits
bof misses/battlestations with target lock: 2.25 dice x 25% chance to miss (breen aide)= .5625 hits
Total = 7.3125 hits on average!

Please forgive me if my math is off, I rolled a bunch of dice and it was a very consistent 6+ hits/crits after target lock re-rolls and breen aide. Not to mention that the first attack the defender is rolling one less defense die, and most likely their shields will be down anyway. You may not need to use B.O.F. and could get lucky enough to one shot two different ships! I think target lock is better than battlestations in this case, you need the chances to roll those hits.

Can you imagine if your best ship was knocked out by two beefy ships before you even got to attack with it? Would you still go with the ground strategy first turn if you saw this happen and your other shots came up?

At any rate, this was just a thought exercise. I seriously doubt the viability of this build to actually win an OP3 with. But I will be EXTRA cautious of anyone that's showing a fast ship (Enterprise D or Kraxon) and In'Cha

I've already thought of a similar fleet, but scrapped the idea because while it would be great to pull off, it does have some flaws. Namely putting all the eggs in one basket. Anyone seeing this coming could easily adjust and by playing more cautiously, could really mess up the strategy. Still, having this out there could really hurt Cloaked Mine strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
IIRC In'Cha is a unique card.

If I had a 4 ship fleet and saw a build like this, I would only move forward 1" the first turn and see if you came to my firing line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csimian wrote:

If I had a 4 ship fleet and saw a build like this, I would only move forward 1" the first turn and see if you came to my firing line.

You would have to start at the very back and only move forward 1. In my picture the blue dashed line is the other side of the starting zone, a 1 movement from there would be in range of this. However, its all moot anyway:

Andrew Parks wrote:
After we reached a certain point in development and started exploring various combos, we made a conscious decision going forward that all Elite Talents in Wave 1 and beyond would be Unique.

This has allowed us to grow the game without allowing certain possible combinations to get out of hand as time goes on.

Andrew

Only 1 in'cha. But that doesn't change much, you can still use another enterprise or Kraxon, the Romulan Pilot, and do the exact same thing with one less die.

I also agree, this isn't a winning fleet and very easily disruptable. Just a fun thinking exercise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
csimian wrote:

You would have to start at the very back and only move forward 1. In my picture the blue dashed line is the other side of the starting zone, a 1 movement from there would be in range of this. However, its all moot anyway:

Andrew Parks wrote:
After we reached a certain point in development and started exploring various combos, we made a conscious decision going forward that all Elite Talents in Wave 1 and beyond would be Unique.

This has allowed us to grow the game without allowing certain possible combinations to get out of hand as time goes on.

Andrew

Only 1 in'cha. But that doesn't change much, you can still use another enterprise or Kraxon, the Romulan Pilot, and do the exact same thing with one less die.

I also agree, this isn't a winning fleet and very easily disruptable. Just a fun thinking exercise!

The thing with this strategy is that it *might* one-shot a ship. If they see it coming and don't lower their shields (or cloak) then there's a pretty good chance that it might not even be destroyed and then those 3 or 4 ships can return fire. They could also win the planet easier than you could with only two ships. Not to mention, Romulan Pilot is the prize for the month, so it'll be harder to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:

The thing with this strategy is that it *might* one-shot a ship. If they see it coming and don't lower their shields (or cloak) then there's a pretty good chance that it might not even be destroyed and then those 3 or 4 ships can return fire. They could also win the planet easier than you could with only two ships. Not to mention, Romulan Pilot is the prize for the month, so it'll be harder to come by.

Yeah, there's plenty of chances it could fail. My original goal was to see if there was a way to do this, but it seems that it would be very difficult without the Romulan Pilot - which was just in my binder. I had totally forgotten that it was part of the prize for OP3!

At any rate, you CAN get a ship in range with two forward 5 movements on the enterprise, but BOF won't do a whole ton of good without the extra die roll from Donatra with a 2nd In'Cha. Or without the blank->hit from the breen aide, with the scan token from Romulan Pilot.

I'll just have to go back to the drawing board for more OP3 madness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In'Cha is NOT a unique card.

I want to do something similar but still have a well rounded competitive fleet. I've found out that a Galaxy of Galor class ship with In'Cha can start in the middle of the board behind the planet and get just past the planet with two Straight 5 moves. It probably wouldn't one shot any ship, but it could easily take out those small Romulan science vessels that are showing up as troop transports this month.

But these tactics are easy to counter by just setting up further away from the planet or moving faster/slower/banking on Turn 1. I still want to try it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at this build, my immediate thought is, "why Kirk?" You're not using his second elite talent slot or his discount for Federation elite talents that you keep hidden until you use them. Why not use a less expensive captain, perhaps one who could add +1 attack die to the Ent-D's attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Z
msg tools
I pulled this trick off with
Enterprise D
Picard
Spock
In'Cha
Cyrano Jones (Tribbles!)

Galor Class
GenKhan
In'Cha

Romulan Science Vessel

Command Bar Resource
99pts.

Turn 1, Picard and Khan warp ahead 5, Incha and go 5 again. It is just enough movement that you can put yourself on the opposite side of the planet from the front of your starting zone. Picard's free action is either a target lock or a scan and he takes a command token to get the other.

In testing it out and actual tournament games I was averaging 5-6 hits with Enterprise. Khan was there for clean up incase they rolled good defenses. I would have preferred a second Galaxy class so I was sure I was shooting first with both of them but I ran out of points to make it fit. Romulan ship is there just to manage the planet.

If they didn't see it coming and dropped shields to beam troops they were dead. One game I oneshotted TWO ships on turn one and chased their last ship until I won the planet and finished them off.

The game I lost was a close one. 9Martok and GenKhan on Klingon ships (two ktinga's I think) with Donatra on a science with a cloaked mine and Clark on a B'Rel. I one shotted Martok even through the cloak but he focused fire on Khan and took him out first round. My full ahead warp messed up his mine placement but he still managed to peg Picard for 2 shields with it. In those initial rounds, Tribbles made the difference with the extra attack and defense die. Picard nailed Donatra in one shot and over the next two turns took out Clark terrel in the B'Rel who could not get Picard in his firing arc at all. Khan was in behind and whittled the enterprise away to nothing, BUT not before I was able to beam a tribble onto my science vessel. The Science vessel put up a valiant fight against Khan, got in close and rolled 4 attack dice thanks to the tribbles and the command bar, dropping Khans shields and cutting his hull in half. It came down to sudden death, whoever scored the next hit won and Khan shot first and rolled awesome. C'est la vie. Even with all that, I managed to win the planet, no help to my score but at least I had that going for me in such a close game; if I had won I would have bolted ahead to points leader at the venue even after missing month 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
Looking at this build, my immediate thought is, "why Kirk?" You're not using his second elite talent slot or his discount for Federation elite talents that you keep hidden until you use them. Why not use a less expensive captain, perhaps one who could add +1 attack die to the Ent-D's attack?

I used Kirk because two federation captains at skill 9 with a 99 point build will almost always place their troops last, and almost always shoot before any other skill 9 captains.

I hadn't thought about the 5's and moving *through* the planet, good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarimy Springer
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure I'm reading things wrong, but when you say "You score 2 hits and crit hit" on a cloaked ship with 3 hull, that rolls 1 evade - how are they one shotted? Wouldn't that end up leaving them 1 hull left?

I know I'm missing something, I've just read it a few times and can't understand how it has been one shot killed.

I'm still new and learning the game as well, so please be kind hahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarimy123 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm reading things wrong, but when you say "You score 2 hits and crit hit" on a cloaked ship with 3 hull, that rolls 1 evade - how are they one shotted? Wouldn't that end up leaving them 1 hull left?

I know I'm missing something, I've just read it a few times and can't understand how it has been one shot killed.

The crit you will get to know well, its "Direct Hit!". You apply another damage, then flip direct hit face down. 3 hits in total

That and Warp Core Breach... banes of the cloaking community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarimy123 wrote:

One possible answer is that many of the Crits result in additional damage points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarimy Springer
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
jonnyd76 wrote:
Jarimy123 wrote:

The crit you will get to know well, its "Direct Hit!". You apply another damage, then flip direct hit face down. 3 hits in total

That and Warp Core Breach... banes of the cloaking community!

Oh ok! I thought I completely missed something in the rules hahaha.

Yea my first game I ever played I got a warp core breach. That sucked!

I've not played enough to really get to know the critical hit cards yet. But I'm really enjoying the game, so I'm sure I'll be on the wrong end of the damage deck soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gareth hebbron
msg tools
Better for less:

I.K.S. Ch'tang: 22
+Khan Singh: 5
+Joachim: 4
+Barrage of Fire: 5
Klingon Vor'cha : 26
+Donatra: 5
+Defense Condition One: 5

Total: 72

Ch'tang 4 attacks + 1 Donatra + 5 Barrage attacks = 10 total.

Action: Ch'tang does a scan action so one less defence dice for target.
Action: Vor'cha does Defense Condition One giving Ch'tang battle stations.
Attack (10): Coming out of Cloak with Ch'tang can re-roll misses (free target lock). Khan turns all those battle station rolls into crits. Joachim lets you pick which crit cards the target suffers.

Goodnight sweet prince.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gazie101 wrote:
Better for less:

Attack (10): Coming out of Cloak with Ch'tang can re-roll misses (free target lock). Khan turns all those battle station rolls into crits. Joachim lets you pick which crit cards the target suffers.

Goodnight sweet prince.

Only problem is Ch'Tang cannot Scan, but that can be fixed with Command Tokens. Other problem is with an 8 skill he might get killed before pulling this off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
gazie101 wrote:
Better for less:

Goodnight sweet prince.

Only problem is Ch'Tang cannot Scan, but that can be fixed with Command Tokens. Other problem is with an 8 skill he might get killed before pulling this off.

All true. I would also add Interphase Generator to both ships to increase survivability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my store plays 115pts, faction limited to federation/klingon and roman/dominion

so my team was
vorcha+martok
neghvar+nudaq
ktinga+terell
ktinga
and command tokens..
i roll 18atk dice base

if you follow the same skeleton crew build and u push for max dice you should win...

as long as your ships can roll 4-6dice.. it kils everything.. cloaked ship rolling 8def.. not a problem..

I won all my games and the only thing i lost was my most basic ktinga!
I fought 3 man ships loaded to the teeth with upgrades and destroyed them like nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
I almost brought a fleet to op3 with 2 Galaxy class ships (ent d and generic) with the ability to reach the enemy 1st turn and hit hard, but its too easy to counter IMO if they see what you are doing. You end up with some good ships still even if they see it coming but I just don't think that the pair of ships you are left with are good enough to beat a good Romulan fleet.

The other idea of a Klingon fleet with a good 1-shot hit is something that I am still working on...
so far, I have been able to create a ~14 dice with battle-stations and re-roll for the dice that has a good chance to hit first however it is too situational ... IE: if they have a cheat death or inter-phase I am stuck ... too much gets built into that one hit that can be countered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.