Paul Denning
msg tools
Hey,

I've a few questions, hopefully someone here can help.

Does the purple key mean that when you reach the door tile you can open the door as an action? Does that require a weapon that can open doors? (Ie why would you need the key if so )

The mission descriptors all specify 6+ survivors. The rules don't mention anything about having more than 6 players/survivors. What does it mean? We played the tutorial today with 4 players and thus per the rules 4 survivors. That also seems a bit wrong. Why do 4/5 player games get handicapped? Seems it should say something like 'share the remaining players or take it in turns to play them each turn'

Lastly, the main rules say that the game is lost if all survivors die. But the majority of the missions state 'all survivors' must exit/do something. Is this short for all remaining survivors (ie players win but alive players are better winners ) or does it really mean that just one death means the game is over?

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: M00 door question + num survivors for any misson
According to the TCM rules, you add a additional spawn token for every 2 surviors past 6 (round up).
You will also have to handle starting equipment issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
Podbod wrote:
The mission descriptors all specify 6+ survivors. The rules don't mention anything about having more than 6 players/survivors. What does it mean?

Yeah, as mentioned, the Toxic City Mall expansion has some explicit rules for that, though they're pretty basic. You can grab those rules here: http://guillotinegames.com/en/gamerules - it's on page 14.

Quote:
We played the tutorial today with 4 players and thus per the rules 4 survivors. That also seems a bit wrong. Why do 4/5 player games get handicapped? Seems it should say something like 'share the remaining players or take it in turns to play them each turn'

I think they're written that way just so they don't have to say "pick two people two control two survivors." We almost always play with six, regardless of how many people are playing the game, unless we're in the mood for a bigger challenge.

Quote:
Lastly, the main rules say that the game is lost if all survivors die. But the majority of the missions state 'all survivors' must exit/do something. Is this short for all remaining survivors (ie players win but alive players are better winners :)) or does it really mean that just one death means the game is over?

The scenarios which explicitly state that "all" survivors must escape does, in fact, mean that any survivor death is a mission failure. Fortunately that's a little bit easier with the new Zombvivor rules. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the number of survivors indicated for each mission is mostly to let you know at which number its played best, if you play with less, you might want to decrease the difficulty, or if you play with more, you may need to increase the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Podbod wrote:
Does the purple key mean that when you reach the door tile you can open the door as an action? Does that require a weapon that can open doors?

In this scenario, the key is the only way to open the door, as an action by the holder of the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shockey
United States
Arbutus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure wish I had my KS copies so I could answer your question. I can't get a tracking number or a response to any of my emails!angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
In this scenario, the key is the only way to open the door, as an action by the holder of the key.

Did you have a source for that? Like all the other previous official Zombicide scenarios involving keys, the wording's just "When this token is
taken, the violet prison main entry door can be opened." There's no actual mention of key ownership or not needing to use door-opening tools, only that the door in question can only be opened once you find that objective.

I agree that having a survivor carrying the key (and therefore the holder of the key having to be the one to open the door) often makes more sense, as it would in this one, which is why our group typically house-rules that keys are inventory items. I'm pretty sure that the as-written rules don't actually do that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that any survivor can open the door, using the normal door-opening rules regardless of who picked up the key.

remember that the "key" could be something like flipping a switch to activate/release the power to a door which would disable part of its security system and thus allow it to be opened.
its not necessarily a real key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
I think that any survivor can open the door, using the normal door-opening rules regardless of who picked up the key.

remember that the "key" could be something like flipping a switch to activate/release the power to a door which would disable part of its security system and thus allow it to be opened.
its not necessarily a real key.

That's how we play it. In fact, that's roughly what I was going to say by way of an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pike
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you open the purple door at the end of that mission, does the inside area spawn zombies (the basketball court area inside the barbed wire is divided into about 8 different yellow squares - I assume those are movement squares)? Zombies would not spawn there when the purple door is opened would they? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King_Custard wrote:
When you open the purple door at the end of that mission, does the inside area spawn zombies (the basketball court area inside the barbed wire is divided into about 8 different yellow squares - I assume those are movement squares)? Zombies would not spawn there when the purple door is opened would they? Thanks

It's not really clear what the official stance is on the basketball court. Personally, though, I play it as an outdoor area (so no zombies spawn if you open a door into it), and that the yellow squares are indeed individual movement zones.

I'm pretty certain this was one of the questions in my 'big Questions' threads (which you'll found in the Rules sub-forum), so hopefully we'll get an official answer on how it works soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco C
Brazil
Rio De Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the not officially answered questions raised in this thread, I have a few of my own regarding this mission:
1 - Assuming the purple door is closed and there's no LOS for the zombies that spawn in the basketball court area through the barbed wire to any survivors, where should they accumulate? At the barbed wire adjacent to the spawn zone or at the purple door zone?
This regards the rule in page 16: "If they can’t see anybody and there are no open paths to the Survivors, they move toward the noisiest Zone as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them." That situation usually leads to zombies piling up at a locked door. But should the barbed wire be treated as a locked door in this case? Both can be opened at some point, even if the barbed wire can only be torn by an abomination...
My bet is that they should pile up at the purple door...
2 - Does the brown door have to be opened by a weapon capable of opening regular doors before any survivor can escape? I'm assuming yes.
3 - The mission text says: "Any Survivor may escape through this Zone at the end of his turn, as long as there are no Zombies in it." Does that require an action? Considering the wording of the sentence and the fact that it doesn't mention that requirement, I'm assuming no, even though it looks a lot like a movement action to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macurvello wrote:
Besides the not officially answered questions raised in this thread, I have a few of my own regarding this mission:
1 - Assuming the purple door is closed and there's no LOS for the zombies that spawn in the basketball court area through the barbed wire to any survivors, where should they accumulate? At the barbed wire adjacent to the spawn zone or at the purple door zone?
This regards the rule in page 16: "If they can’t see anybody and there are no open paths to the Survivors, they move toward the noisiest Zone as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them." That situation usually leads to zombies piling up at a locked door. But should the barbed wire be treated as a locked door in this case? Both can be opened at some point, even if the barbed wire can only be torn by an abomination...
My bet is that they should pile up at the purple door...

From page 24 of the rules:
Quote:
Barbwire fences have a special effect on Zombie movement. Zombies still follow the shortest route to the noisiest Zone or visible Survivor, as if there was no barbwire fence. They pile up at the barbwire fence until a shorter path is defined or the fence is destroyed.

So, it depends on where the Survivors are, or the noisiest zone is, and what the shortest route from the Zombies to that zone is - for example, if the Survivors are over on the right hand side of the map, making lots of noise, then the Zombies in the basketball court will move towards the right-hand end of the court.

Note that this is likely to also cause them to split (because of the layout of the zones in the basketball court).

macurvello wrote:
2 - Does the brown door have to be opened by a weapon capable of opening regular doors before any survivor can escape? I'm assuming yes.

It doesn't say otherwise, so yes.

macurvello wrote:
3 - The mission text says: "Any Survivor may escape through this Zone at the end of his turn, as long as there are no Zombies in it." Does that require an action? Considering the wording of the sentence and the fact that it doesn't mention that requirement, I'm assuming no, even though it looks a lot like a movement action to me.

I agree. Not an action. The brown door just needs to be open, and the Zone containing the Exit marker clear of zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.