Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are attempting to solve a problem and your first roll is enough to beat the problem, can you still play cards for their symbols (in order to get them out of your hand)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biscuits409 wrote:
If you are attempting to solve a problem and your first roll is enough to beat the problem, can you still play cards for their symbols (in order to get them out of your hand)?


I don't see why not. You would, of course, take cackle counters for any magic you use, but there's nothing stopping you from ridiculously over-killing a problem.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
biscuits409 wrote:
If you are attempting to solve a problem and your first roll is enough to beat the problem, can you still play cards for their symbols (in order to get them out of your hand)?


I don't see why not. You would, of course, take cackle counters for any magic you use, but there's nothing stopping you from ridiculously over-killing a problem.


I don't think you can. Rolling high enough on the first roll solves the problem and therefore you shouldn't be able to choose to keep solving it as it's already complete.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weaselboy wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
biscuits409 wrote:
If you are attempting to solve a problem and your first roll is enough to beat the problem, can you still play cards for their symbols (in order to get them out of your hand)?


I don't see why not. You would, of course, take cackle counters for any magic you use, but there's nothing stopping you from ridiculously over-killing a problem.


I don't think you can. Rolling high enough on the first roll solves the problem and therefore you shouldn't be able to choose to keep solving it as it's already complete.


You're still required to roll the second pair of dice even when the first pair are enough to solve the problem, so rolling high on the first pair doesn't appear to actually solve the problem (otherwise you wouldn't be at risk of extra cackles).

I doubt it's going to be the right move to ditch cards for no effect very often, but allowing it is consistent with requiring you to roll the remaining dice.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Passmore
Australia
flag msg tools
As I understand it, only the first dice roll is required (regardless if you WANT to or not). If you succeed, there is no need to take any of the subsequent options (continue trying to fix the problem or run away).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rpassmore wrote:
As I understand it, only the first dice roll is required (regardless if you WANT to or not). If you succeed, there is no need to take any of the subsequent options (continue trying to fix the problem or run away).
I just checked the rules, and rmsgrey is correct on this.
Rules, solving a problem section, last paragraph wrote:
If you roll high enough on your first pair of dice, yo solve the problem, then you must still roll the second pair of dice to see if you roll any 'Cackles'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for adding cards to get rid of them, as long as you could normally use them there, I'd say you can. You can't play cards and run away, though:
Rules, solving a problem section wrote:
You now have the option to run away or continue trying to solve the problem. If you choose to continue then you can use cards to add to your total.

I think I was playing this one wrong. Basically, if you use magic and/or headology cards for their symbols, you've already chosen to continue to solve the problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
As for adding cards to get rid of them, as long as you could normally use them there, I'd say you can. You can't play cards and run away, though:
Rules, solving a problem section wrote:
You now have the option to run away or continue trying to solve the problem. If you choose to continue then you can use cards to add to your total.

I think I was playing this one wrong. Basically, if you use magic and/or headology cards for their symbols, you've already chosen to continue to solve the problem.


It's a light enough game that I'd be happy letting someone put down a bunch of cards, add them and their first pair of dice up, and then pick up the cards and run away, but, yeah, if you're running away, you don't get to throw cards away for magic/headology.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Heron
England
flag msg tools
In keeping with the theme. I think discarding cards should be allowable (at any time) during your turn... "You go home now Rob Anybody, this is haggling business" without penalty.... we did not allow this is our first game because IT DOESN'T SAY YOU CAN in the rules however it doesn't say you can't either (In order to try and find enough witches to do the power of three) "Go away you lot I'm trying to find Perdita...

What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.