Subject: "Traps 'n Treasure" (Custom Expansion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, here it is. Sort of an inoffical Expansion for the Fantasy Flight-Version of Dungeon Quest; the first one (I'm working on others). This one's easy to implement, since it doesn't screw up balance; the new cards just provide more variety. Print them out, then sleeve all the respective decks, so the custom cards won't stick out.
Have Fun and Happy Dying!

Important Rule Clarification on Determination Tokens:
You get these only for cards, which order you to keep them and encounter them every turn (until resolved). When on a "Use/Resolve/Discard"-Type of Trap Card you have to test Agility and Strength, you don't get a Determination Tokens for any failed test.

First the Trap Cards:

Perhaps some clarification will be necessary on "Infection" ...
- You roll those 6 random Attributes only once, right when you draw this card (write them down, or use coloured cubes to keep track of them).
- Starting on this turn, you then encounter this card at the beginning of each of your turns (afterwards you may continue your turn as usual). Whenever you succeed a roll, the respective test counts as resolved. When you've failed at least one of the tests, you may afterwards put a maximum of 1 Determination Token per turn on this card.
- When encountering "Infection", you may only use Determination Tokens which you've accumulated on this card. Each Token may only be used once per turn to make a roll easier (you may still distribute them as you like), but it stays on the card until it's completely resolved or you're dead.
- Once "Infection" has been completely resolved, discard Card.

And last but not least the corresponding Backside for the Trap Deck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
First 5 generic Low to Medium-Value ones, with rather odd numbers (to make a difference). These go into the Treasure-Deck. My suggestion is that you print the Highest Value ("Riches") only once, the Lowest Value ("Precious Coins") three times, and the remaining ones ("Flawless Gem", "Lovely Gems", "Shiny Sapphire") twice. This will make all the others more rare, and such more valuable.

And the corresponding Backside:

Here's some Loot with Special Setup-Rules. They are Unique Items and have alternate Values, depending on where you find them: "Deep Ember" and "Blue Ember". The ones with Lowest Value (10 + 50) go into the Dungeon Deck. The Medium ones (100 + 500) into the Catacombs Deck. And finally the Highest Value ones belong to the Treasure Deck. Now, if you encounter such a card in the game, here's what you do: Say, you find "Blue Ember" by entering a room. Then you pick up the Catacombs Deck and the Treasure Deck, pick out the corresponding "Blue Ember" cards and put them out of the game (not on the discard Pile, since they may not be shuffled back in). Finally you shuffle both decks.

And the Backsides for both the Dungeon- and the Catacombs-Deck:

And now all the rest of the Loot Cards, some of them providing you with some pretty unique traits and special effects:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Whew, and that's all Folks.

14 all new Trap Cards and 27 Loot Cards (if you take my suggestions concerning copies of the generic ones, and count all the Ember-Loot as only 2) should make for some pretty variable Gameplay.
Now have Fun, I seriously hope you like 'em. Further expansions are in the making ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great job my friend, you make my favorite game even better now, thx so much! :-) do you have pdf file of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
No, but I'm gonna do one, as soon as I myself gonna print 'em out. This is actually an important issue, cause of card-measurements and stuff. I've been play-testing with Post-Its until now.
Later today I'm gonna upload a couple more Traps and Treasure.
Great you like 'em. Makes me happy.

//EDIT:
- Maybe you've noticed, that I've edited the "Ember"-Loot. The Low Value-Ones are supposed to go into the Dungeon-Deck ('cause it's bigger), not into the Search-Deck.
- Also updated "Blood Curse" (now called "Blood Omen") and "Sneak Assault". Just minor stuff, though, didn't change their mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
These are the new cards I came up with. They're pretty straight forward, and I also added them to the initial two posts. I don't know how "Ebony Crossbow" will play in the long run, though, but it might still be a welcome item for Suicidal Gamblers. Note, that I created this solely with the oldschool Dice Combat-Variant in mind (resolved with a D10). I actually despise the new card-based combat, and will never ever use it in one of my games.

TRAPS:
Hex
Psychic Blow
Snake Bite
Vampire Curse

LOOT:
Ebony Crossbow
Golden Compass
Heater Shield
Kite Shield
Ring of Invisibility
Ring of Fire
Ring of Water
Ring of Earth
Ring of Air
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps I should be adding one important Rule Clarification for an issue, which could come up with this Expansion:

How to deal with Determination Tokens:
You get these only for cards, which command you to keep them and encounter them every turn (until resolved). When on a "Use/Resolve/Discard"-Type of Trap Card you have to test Agility and Strength, you actually don't gain Determination Tokens for any failed tests.

Anyway, I added a couple more Trap-Cards to the first post to make Dying in the Dungeon even more fun:

TRAPS:
Chained Up
Chasm
Drugged Smoke
Floor Spikes
Piranha Pit
Pit of Lava
Rabid Bats
Infection (check first post for additional notes on this card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
I thought I was finished, but I couldn't be more wrong: there's something I didn't thought about when putting together the "Loot"-Cards, and that's the Loadstones and the Staff of Light + Sun Spear-Bonus. In order to keep chances roughtly the same of encountering these very special cards (when you shuffle the original cards together with the Expansion), I'll need to make some adjustments:
- Number of New Generic Loot card needs to be increased to 15 (5x30 Gold Value, 4*80 GV, 3*160 GV, 2*275 GV, 1x 425 GV)
- I'll need to create 2 copies of Sun Spear and Staff of Light, so total of these types of cards will be 6 (instead of just 2)
- Put in 3 more Loadstones (total of 5 instead of just 2).
Now stay tuned, and wait for the .pdf, where I'll put everything up (including copies) you'll need to keep the balance.

//EDIT:
I think I'm also gonna rework INFECTION a bit; at present it's a bit too clunky and complicated for a simple game like Dungeonquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.