Subject: PBF Kibitzer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
Questions and Comments on 18OE PBF Oh Boy are welcome here. No guarentee of a response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in following along, having been one of 3 to play the full monty @ GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools

We are just getting started. Mark has just finished up the Cyberboard updates.

I will be creating a seperate dropbox for graphic prints which should track the game. PM me an address for a dropbox invite. It will be a couple of days before it gets up and running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be following your game here. I think I follow all 18xx PBFs actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Still waiting on BGG to approve the file uploads, and Kickstarter is giving me fits with adding images right now. Ugh!

Anyway, it's worth stating that there are some minor graphical glitches (that do not affect the functionality) that I'll have to straighten out in the Gamebox - my focus is first and foremost on the printed game, so I'll have to ask everyone's patience until I can squeeze the time in to fix the Gamebox.

Again, the glitches are not functional, merely visual - the tiles have a goofy blue square outline around them. I'll get that fixed ASAP.

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving non-game chatter to this thread, Mike wrote:

AbnRgr wrote:
Gareth_Bryne wrote:
Guys, it's quite interesting to follow you here, but by any chance can you also place screenshots of your progress? I think that would be nice not only for me but for other people as well, not to mention gaining more attention?

At this time we do not have a good graphic of the auction. We have been non-diligent in updating the spreadsheet to shown the three new companies. Right now the map would only show home tokens of the regionals and minors. However, we should have that up in a day or so ready to start the first OR.

As far as posting screenshots of game status, what is the preferred methodology?

I was planning on using a public dropbox link.

That would be a good solution. No mod approval waits, etc. I look forward to seeing the operations get underway in this behemoth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really think the dropbox solution would be best; the map board is too detailed to be constantly posting copies of the game state into this forum (not to mention, large enough to likely draw the ire of BGG's admins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
Re: PBF Kibitzer ISR
Possibly jumping the gun just a bit, here is the current state of the mapboard and Initial Stock Round. This is practice to see how it works out. Comments (perferably suggestions) are welcome.

This does not include a spreadsheet view which will be a more familiar view of game Status.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34146563/OE%20ISR.pdf

Note that it is 6 pages.

The ISR is not done as additional Majors may float.

Mark, you may want to add some token blanks to place over the unstarted regionals. I suspect the home tokens may create some confusion on the Cyberboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Brooks
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the game status!!!

P.s.: As a side note, please note the Baltic area near St. Petersburg and Helsinki would do with the same recoloring as the Aegean Sea. And is it really possible to traverse the Bosphorus near Smyrna?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gareth_Bryne wrote:
Thanks for the game status!!!

P.s.: As a side note, please note the Baltic area near St. Petersburg and Helsinki would do with the same recoloring as the Aegean Sea. And is it really possible to traverse the Bosphorus near Smyrna?

Nice catch with the Baltic; I'll fix that for the next gamebox release.

As for the Bosphorus, can you be more specific? The cyan-colored arrows are there to show that the Aegean is not split in game terms; is that what you mean?

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Brooks
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for the Bosphorus, can you be more specific? The cyan-colored arrows are there to show that the Aegean is not split in game terms; is that what you mean?

No, the "60" water crossing two hexes northwest of Smyrna was and is very improbable. A red line between the Europe and Turkey hexes would be nice. The only real way to Turkey from Europe should be through Constantinople. And, by the way, the hexes for Constantinople should reflect the need to ferry to the other side - although that may be asking too much)), besides, they now have a tunnel there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gareth_Bryne wrote:
No, the "60" water crossing two hexes northwest of Smyrna was and is very improbable. A red line between the Europe and Turkey hexes would be nice. The only real way to Turkey from Europe should be through Constantinople. And, by the way, the hexes for Constantinople should reflect the need to ferry to the other side - although that may be asking too much)), besides, they now have a tunnel there.

Gareth,

A few things need to be borne in mind when looking at the Cyberboard version of the game map.

I yanked the underlying artwork out of the cyberboard version for multiple reasons, none of which are worth enumerating. This has the effect of making some hexes look a bit odd without the outline of land to show how and why they are set up the way that they are. Another example of oddities directly relates to Mike Calhoon's question about the seemingly missing white dashed line between Sardinia and Corsica - the outline of the land on the "real" map makes it obvious why I didn't have the dashed line there, even though it's needed on the Cyberboard map.

Now, that said, while I can't argue that perhaps it would have been best to put a red line two hexes northwest of Smyrna, I think you'll find in practice that it's simply a non-issue: nobody has ever built in that hex in any playtest sessions that I'm aware of; it's extremely expensive to do so and far more efficient to simply build straight to Constantinople.

Getting a good look at the "real" mapboard if/when your copy arrives (assuming you backed the project) should illuminate any serious discrepancies.

As for Constantinople itself (and the requested ferries), a read through my pre-Kickstarter blog will show my true colors when it comes to realism vs. playability: I'll immediately throw realism out the window when it conflicts with playability. After all, it's first and foremost a game.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Brooks
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, thank you for your detailed answer, it is more than I deserved . Sorry for being such a stickler, totally agree with you on the playability vs. realism question. Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gareth_Bryne wrote:
Mark, thank you for your detailed answer, it is more than I deserved :). Sorry for being such a stickler, totally agree with you on the playability vs. realism question. Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the community!

Deserved has nothing to do with it - I can appreciate that you live much, much closer to Istanbul than I do! It's natural for you to be much more familiar with the geography.

Happy Holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ganraeln wrote:
Gareth_Bryne wrote:
Mark, thank you for your detailed answer, it is more than I deserved . Sorry for being such a stickler, totally agree with you on the playability vs. realism question. Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the community!

Deserved has nothing to do with it - I can appreciate that you live much, much closer to Istanbul than I do! It's natural for you to be much more familiar with the geography.

Happy Holidays!

Actually Mark and Gareth, I think the map does an excellent job of addressing realism.

Not seen at this scale and injecting a little bit of my personal opinion and quickie internet research, the tile in question actually appears to represent the straights at Marmara, the 1ocation of the first alleged intercontinental bridge, Xeres' pontoon bridge across the straights.

The Internet does reveal "The first project for a permanent bridge across the Bosphorus was proposed to Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II by the Bosphorus Railroad Company in 1900, which included a rail link between the continents.[4]"

The 1st Bosporus bridge was completed in 1973 and was over capacity immediately. I went across the bridge many times in the 80's and have spent some hours on the bridge and approaches backed up in traffic.

It was good to hear from Gareth that the tunnel was finally opened. At the time I was there in the 80's the 2nd Bosphorus bridge was still being debated and the Euro Chunnel was still on the drawing books. How times have changed. I am embarrass as an Engineer and 2 year resident in Turkey to have not noticed that milestone this year.

My one gripe, now that I am paying attention is that the two sea hexes are labeled the Aegean Sea rather than the Sea of Marmara. Clearly a defect which invalidates the Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
Since most of the moves refer to .gmv files instead of describing the track lays each company turn consists of buying a 2+2 train.

In addition during the 1st OR we do not stay in strict player order usually adding several minor companies out of order.

OR 1a Maps

OR1a Start Map & Stock Market

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34146563/18OE%20Oh%20Boy...

OR1a Mid In Process map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
We have made it through to the end of OR 1B. One of us will post the entire compiled move soon but we are still catching up from Chattanooga.

OR 1B End Map and Stock Chart

And the End of OR1B Spreadsheet

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34146563/18OE%20Demonstr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.