james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, the scenario is difficult. I try it solo and get stuck after the dwarves go down. Here are my questions.

1. When the two separate stages are created, does everything stay as is? One person deals with everyone being exhausted while the other person deals with the spiders glade.

2.The spiders glade is actually not possible until the person with Bilbo gets out?

3. Could I put Narvi's belt on a character to create Bilbo's resource?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
philosophant wrote:
3. Could I put Narvi's belt on a character to create Bilbo's resource?

Narvi's Belt has errata now to address this. You can only pick from the standard four resource icons.

(I don't know about anything else.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
1.a) Yes, everything stays as is. Cards in the staging area remain in the staging area (stage 4) while a new staging area is created for the first player (stage 3). Enemies engaged to the players remain engaged to the respective players.

1.b) Yes, the first player must deal with stage 3 with a lot of unconscious characters while the other players deal with stage 4 which has the Spider's Glade drawing spiders into the stage 4 staging area every round. It's nasty! Note that using Bilbo's Magic Ring allows you to ready one unconscious character every round.

*Note that there is errata for stage 2B in the FAQ:
"Lost in the Dark 2B OtD 68
Should read: "When Revealed: Reveal stage 3 and create a separate staging area for the first player using that stage. If there are no other players in the game, discard this stage and each card in its staging area. All other players advance to stage 4." "

2. You are correct. The first player must complete stage 3 and advance to stage 4. Then you must exhaust Bilbo Baggins to travel to the Spider's Glade. Then you must explore the Spider's Glade and complete stage 4. It takes a lot of time and you have to be well prepared.

3. No. From the FAQ:
"Narvi's Belt KD 3
Should read: "Action: Exhaust Narvi's Belt to give attached hero a (Leadership), (Lore), (Tactics), or (Spirit) icon until the end of the phase." "

I agree, it is a difficult scenario. The best advice I can give is to take your time on stage 1B and prepare your player areas well. When you complete stage 1B be sure that the first player has characters that can contribute sufficient willpower for questing. Also note that the Beorn hero cannot contract poison because poison cards are considered to be Condition attachments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorn doesn't get poisoned? Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so this post is over 5 years old, but hopefully someone out there can answer this for me...

We played last night, and got wrecked over a very slow period of 3 hours. Kind of like being poisoned, so thematically...A+!

I know our player one had his own board to deal with, and the rules specifically state that the other three players cannot interact with that player's cards.

Are encounter cards considered part of the first player's cards?

For example, if I used sneak attack and put out Core Set Gandalf, can I use his ability to damage a monster in the first player's area? Or is it totally separate? Like a brick wall is between us and player one and we're playing our own distinct games?

When I look at the rules sheet, it makes me believe that user controlled cards cannot be affected in any way while the first player is on their own.

Thoughts? Advice? Link to a post that talks about this?
Thanks, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find an explicit ruling, but given that the encounter cards in the separate staging area have no effect on you, it seems wrong for you to have an effect on them. The rules aren't explicit on this point, but if you can't interact in any way with the separate player, I would think taking out one of their enemies with Gandalf's enter-play response might count as affecting or interacting with them...

On the other hand, maybe indirect interaction is still possible. While the staging areas are separate, there is surely only one victory display. If the players had completed Rally the West (from the Black Serpent, gives +1 willpower to each hero when in the victory display) before splitting, surely all players would enjoy the boost. But if one of the *separate* players finished the side quest while still separate, I would still think it would benefit each player, since both parts would see it in the same victory display. (Side quests that provide a one-time boost to each player would only benefit those in the staging area that completed it, of course). So indirect effects are at least possible.

But I'd still go with the other staging area as being invisible, and any encounter cards there not being considered "in play" from the POV of player cards in a separate staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perfectly reasonable. I think we're going to handle it like a brick wall between two sets of players. Thanks for replying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.