Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you guys deal with the auctioning phase when playing your two player variants?

I am not a fan of auctioning at the best of times, yet alone in a 2-player game.

The only problem I see without it is that there will be too much money in the game.

Your thoughts?

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
So far, we just deal with it the same as if there were more players; we go back and forth until one person passes, at which point the remaining player wins the auction. Of course, with two players, unless there are some really good cards on the table like RR Operator or Perfect Engineering or something, there's less incentive to pay to go first, because at worst, you go second. So I could see where there might be some house rules to change this up. I just don't know what those would be. ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we finally got round to playing this today, using the Eastern 2p variation.

Really enjoyed the game, despite it all getting very confusing and damn right difficult towards the end. I did drag on slightly, but I'm very keen to play it with more players and the full board.

Regarding the auctioning, I started the game as 1st player. At each auction stage, my partner was happy to go second and did not want to pay to start. This meant that I had to pay $1,000 every single round!

We agreed (after I'd lost quite a bit of cash!) that we would instead alternate the start player, and that player paid $1,000 to the bank instead. That eased the pressure off me and I can see that it's the only real way that the "auctioning" can work with 2 players. Kind of pointless otherwise.

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Huh. We always assumed that if the player who was going to go second didn't bid on going first in a two player game, the other player would get to keep the first player marker *without paying for it.* It never occurred to me to "charge" that player $1,000 if the second player didn't want to bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it is that the minimum opening bid is $1,000, and that is made by the previous start player.

I would have thought that in a 2p game, if the first player wasn't charged for the role, then there will be too much money in the game after a few rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Element Element
Canada
flag msg tools
we do it a it differently, I find it works smoother ... (and yes, I know this is a "houserule" ... )

At the start of a turn, we immediately pass the turn counter to the next person .. who then starts the bidding with anything they want ... (including $0). Of course, if nobody else bids, than that person gets first, at no cost ...

Very often, somebody bids $1,000 ... can't remember anytime we've ever let anyone have a "free first turn" ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
If nobody bids in the auction, the First Player token passes to the next person clockwise. This means that in a two-player game, it just alternates players when no one wants to pay for it.

The actual quote from page 6 of the rulebook:
Quote:
If all the players choose to pass then the player to the left of the previous "First Player" becomes the new First Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.