Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:

This is the book you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have La Grande Armee (I don't know how to embed a picture of the book) by Georges Blond. I would be curious how that stacks up to Chandler- I cannot imagine it is nearly comparable (I think it lacks something in the discussions of specific battles) but I am curious how well it does on the discussion of the overall campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
I just found out that my local library has a copy of Chandler. w00t!

Yay, libraries! And yay, Inter-Library Loan!

(Though it does irk me a bit when I go to the library to request a book on ILL and they say, "you know, this does cost us money." And all this time I had no idea what my taxes were for!)

I just checked, by the way, and the iPad version costs $64.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
I just found out that my local library has a copy of Chandler. w00t!

Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions would also be most welcome.

My local library has a copy in excellent condition. I've checked it out from there several times. I'm probably the only person who has done so in the past 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shockey
United States
Arbutus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed 'War of Wars' by Robert Harvey. Mr Harvey puts the war into the perspective it should be viewed in: as the REAL First World War. The explanations of the early causes of the war are concise and presented in a very enjoyable format. One of the best volumes in print covering the Napoleonic Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really the Chandler book is a great investment. I have read it twice (mine is actually signed by the man himself)
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danjay1 wrote:
Really the Chandler book is a great investment. I have read it twice (mine is actually signed by the man himself)
Dan

Signed by Napoleon! Well, that will be worth a pretty penny someday... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
I agree with everyone else that posted favourably on the Chandler book.

Before you read it I would consider picking up the West Point Atlas series for the Wars of Napoleon. I am pleasantly surprised that it is still in print. Mine is from the eighties.

Makes reading the book much more enjoyable.

http://www.amazon.ca/West-Point-Atlas-Wars-Napoleon/dp/07570...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Would suggest "The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon by Gunther E. Rothenberg. After Chandler my second most read book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
Would suggest "The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon by Gunther E. Rothenberg. After Chandler my second most read book.

Both of these books are very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I would also recommend Chandler. However, he does come with a caveat. First, he does have some minor axes to grind (but who doesn't). But also, be aware that this is literally "the campaigns of Napoleon". You are not going to read about any campaigns that he wasn't in except as a sidenote for why he had to send troops of elsewhere etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, I would highly recommend A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars by Esposito and Elting.

You may want to get it through an inter-library loan if your library doesn't have a copy. I bought my copy decades ago when it was in print but it's very pricey now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has used copies in hardcover of Chandler starting at 39 bucks.

Funny that I've had this book new since high school when it was offered thru the military book club - a long time ago - and have only read portions of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
brozo wrote:
I agree with everyone else that posted favourably on the Chandler book.

Before you read it I would consider picking up the West Point Atlas series for the Wars of Napoleon. I am pleasantly surprised that it is still in print. Mine is from the eighties.

Makes reading the book much more enjoyable.

http://www.amazon.ca/West-Point-Atlas-Wars-Napoleon/dp/07570...

Agreed, maybe it's fond memories of his goaltending in the 70's but Esposito's work is excellent, and for my money a better introduction to Napoleon than Chandler. The maps ... simply the best on Napoleon's campaigns in the world.

PS - the older the edition, the better.

A review is here:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/reviews/military/c_elting2.ht...

Again, it's not cheap. But watch eBay and you can eventually get a copy for about $50US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a least 150 books and counting on this subject. Just go to the the library and grab what ever appeals. The The choice is colossal.
Heres what I'm reading at at the moment:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
kenosha_kid wrote:
Another Elting book that I've come across on Amazon is 'Swords Around a Throne'

I assume this is also worth a look?

Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a lot of replies suggesting The Campaigns of Napoleon. However, you mentioned you are looking for something like Battle Cry of Freedom.

I wonder about anyone who has actually read the two because there is no way I would recommend The Campaigns of Napoleon to someone who is looking for the Napoleonic equivalent of Battle Cry of Freedom

MacPherson's book is as famous as it is because it weaves two decades worth of military, political, social, and economic history into a tale about a war that lasted one-quarter that length of time. It covers voting data, party affiliations, and so on.

The Campaigns of Napoleon is many things but it is not the same type of book as Battle Cry of Freedom. Ellis' The Napoleonic Empire is a closer (but still imperfect) match, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Try "The Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars" by Chandler. It's obviously not as deep as "The Campaigns...." but will provide heaps of cross referenced reading. It contains an overview of everything important in the period and is a one volume purchase so cheaper than the other title. After this you will have a good idea of what period or personality or campaign or battle within the period you want to read further about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
M St wrote:
I would also recommend Chandler. However, he does come with a caveat. First, he does have some minor axes to grind (but who doesn't). But also, be aware that this is literally "the campaigns of Napoleon". You are not going to read about any campaigns that he wasn't in except as a sidenote for why he had to send troops of elsewhere etc.

This is true. For example, Chandler has nothing on the Peninsular Campaign. For that, you have to go to Charles Oman and "A History of the Peninsular War 1807-1809".

Oman is a bit deep for a beginner. I'd recommend Years of Victory by Arthur Bryant. This has a good précis of the war in Spain and more besides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This book has an excellent section on Napoleonic warfare. Plus, you get all the history leading up to it! You can find a used copies at cheap prices. This book is a wonderful resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
M St wrote:

This is true. For example, Chandler has nothing on the Peninsular Campaign. For that, you have to go to Charles Oman and "A History of the Peninsular War 1807-1809".

Actually it does, in the section titled "Peninsular Intrigues". However, as per Markus' comment, the focus is on the period of Napoleon's own participation. It thus fails to cover much of the Peninsular Campaign, during which Napoleon was, of course, absent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any opinions of this book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Schuthof
Netherlands
Zandvoort
flag msg tools
I recommend David Gates' Spanish Ulcer on the Peninsular War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
Anyone have any opinions of this book?

It's a short narration of the Napoleonic wars with some insights on strategies and maybe tactics (I don't remember for sure) of the period. A good first read, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.