Subject: Board/Card Games about (running) the movie industry? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Backstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hey guys!
New member from Sweden here.

I'm a movie buff first and foremost, so I am looking for board/card games that deal with the movie industry.
It would be fun if there are games out there where you actually run your own movie studio.
Otherwise, anything movie related and as long as it's fun, that will do to.

I've only come across one board game earlier that matches what I'm really looking for, and it's simply called Hollywood (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14564/hollywood).
And it is SO BAD!!!

It's got the essence, but it's zero fun to play.

Please, hit me with some recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been multiple versions/editions of the game, but the version I own is called Dream Factory. It's a fun Reiner Knizia auction game where you're trying to make films. This version goes the parody route by having fun with movie titles and actor names. I believe an earlier German version uses actual Hollywood movies and actors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
International Movie Maker if you're looking for something not too abysmal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
There have been multiple versions/editions of the game, but the version I own is called Dream Factory. It's a fun Reiner Knizia auction game where you're trying to make films. This version goes the parody route by having fun with movie titles and actor names. I believe an earlier German version uses actual Hollywood movies and actors.

Yes. The earlier German edition is titled Traumfabrik (at least one printing was titled Fabrik der Traume). The components feature actual Hollywood film titles, plus the names and images or real actors and directors from Hollywood's Golden Age, like, Errol Flynn, Marilyn Monroe, Alfred Hitchcock, Olivia de Havilland, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, John Ford, Clark Gable, Grace Kelly, Boris Karloff, and Kim Novak.

Apparently because of copyrights, that version could not be printed in the US, but many of us bought the import.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ShowBiz Shuffle is quick and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Cannes: Stars, Scripts and Screens which has pretty amateur artwork but decent game play.

And on the much lighter side of the spectrum, the B-Movies series of card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood Studios USA was just recently reprinted in a fancy new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.