Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NPR -- A Panorama of Devastation

Doubtless the article won't teach this community anything new about the Battle of the Somme. On the other hand, the unique perspective of the medium I find fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I find the drawings, and the scale, to be fascinating. Thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting.

And not to be forgotten, Charley's War, which also starts at the Somme.

Blog review
http://comics.aadl.org/node/220662

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
johnnyi wrote:
Looks interesting.

And not to be forgotten, Charley's War, which also starts at the Somme.

Blog review
http://comics.aadl.org/node/220662

Didn't know about this one -- thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have requested the The Great War for X-mas, and have Charley's War. Great Stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some earlier discussion and photos here:
Joe Sacco's The Great War (drawn book-form panorama of WW1 battle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In which Michael Dorosh bravely takes on the ignorant, yet all-knowing NPR audience. After writing an edifying paragraph on the importance of the Somme he is trumped by a pack of cards all writing "But war is bad!" I particularly love how one of his adversaries assumes he hasn't read Wilfred Owen, managing to be patronizing, ignorant, and moralistic all in one go. An NPR trifecta!

Michael, my comrade in arms, there can be no victory here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
England
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Just want to chip in to say a big +1 to Charley's War. An amazing story to come out a great comic (Battle Picture Weekly)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Defense Linguistics wrote:
In which Michael Dorosh bravely takes on the ignorant, yet all-knowing NPR audience. After writing an edifying paragraph on the importance of the Somme he is trumped by a pack of cards all writing "But war is bad!" I particularly love how one of his adversaries assumes he hasn't read Wildred Owen, managing to be patronizing, ignorant, and moralistic all in one go. An NPR trifecta!

But if he can weather this, his personal Somme, he will have learned a valuable lesson in commenting tactics against the middle-brow sanctimony of the NPR adversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
In which Michael Dorosh bravely takes on the ignorant, yet all-knowing NPR audience. After writing an edifying paragraph on the importance of the Somme he is trumped by a pack of cards all writing "But war is bad!" I particularly love how one of his adversaries assumes he hasn't read Wildred Owen, managing to be patronizing, ignorant, and moralistic all in one go. An NPR trifecta!

Your comrade in arms?

Now grant you that the whole thread has kind of a 'I read the war poets at High school so here I go' kind of vibe to it, but really, our brave Dorosh in two separate posts spouts off the internet forum equivalent of 'Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori', which is clearly why the poster suggests that Wilfred Owen would disagree with him, given that Owen wrote the most famous response to that notion in the English language.

Perhaps more relevant is that Joe Sacco's graphic novels on the Bosnian conflict are brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
And yet, Owen enlisted, accepted a commission, and even returned to fight in France when he was not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:

But if he can weather this, his personal Somme, he will have learned a valuable lesson in commenting tactics against the middle-brow sanctimony of the NPR adversary.

Astounding how every comment of the "war is bad" variety advances a century's worth of pop culture tropes as if they were Truth, and more troublesomely, as if such citation means we can snap our fingers and say history and interpretation thereof don't matter. Worst, is the assumption that any disagreement equals saying "war is good."

Andrew, really, I didn't miss why Owen was cited. I can also tell the difference between poetry, history, and comic books. As can you, I am certain. The verdict is out on NPR, however. If I refer to Michael as my comrade in arms it is because I respect what he was trying to do. Sorry that bugs you, so here's your money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb

Astounding how every comment of the "war is bad" variety advances a century's worth of pop culture tropes as if they were Truth, and more troublesomely, as if such citation means we can snap our fingers and say history and interpretation thereof don't matter. Worst, is the assumption that any disagreement equals saying "war is good."

And I would agree with you; arguing 'war is bad' is like arguing that the French Revolution was bad, or the discovery of the new world, or the Cotton Gin, or the planting of wheat.

That kind of two-second slogan approach to history is why people put up posters around my neighbourhood saying "Solidarity With Greece - Smash fascism in our neighbourhoods!" as though Vancouver, Canada and Athens, Greece are one and the same because one is outside my window and the other on CNN.

I guess my problem is one of delivery; Mr. Dorosh when explaining how the Somme led to changes in infantry doctrine, development of modern armies, and simultaneously prevented a French collapse at Verdun, which helped Britain win a necessary war is when he's at his best.

Mr. Dorosh then wheeling out notions of pro patria mori, accusing posters of being cruelly disrespectful to soldiers, (which is one of the worst crimes in N.American discourse), whilst sneeringly telling everyone they "have never picked up a history book", just makes him look like an internet forum Tom Clancy-lite; all USS Nimitz baseball caps, asthmatic chest, and a wish. Exactly the sort of caricature that those he's arguing with expect.

Andrew, really, I didn't miss why Owen was cited. I can also tell the difference between poetry, history, and comic books. As can you, I am certain. The verdict is out on NPR, however.

Sure, but you gave no context. I felt that the guy who brought out Wilfred Owen had at least put slightly more thought into it than; "World War One? I remember that guy from Mrs. Chapman's English class! I'll bust him out now and look clever against this hORRIBLE wARMONGER on the NPR forums."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
NPR'rs VS GROGnads? They'd MUCH prefer: "sand within their VA-jays-jays!";, ya think? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.