United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We played our first game tonight. By mid-game, it was somewhat tricky to figure out what islands we each still needed, and which islands the other needed, to know which ones to booby-trap, and where to go next. By the time we had 6 or 7 islands, it was hard to remember the island(s) we still needed. We ended up getting out some colored cubes and adding them to the islands we'd explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a great idea. My wife and I had some trouble remembering which islands we had explored and kept having to spend several minutes looking at our discovered cards and the island tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our second game went much more smoothly with the cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty cool idea as a helpful visual aid. Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reitz
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No move is forbidden except the forbidden move.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you explore, aren't you putting that island's card in front of you with a token on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it means looking back and forth to see which ones still need to be explored, and looking across the table to see what islands the other person still needs, when deciding what cards to put in their way. This is easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have enough table space, you can also (or instead) arrange your explored islands to match the layout in the center. This can be done in a smaller area than the center layout because you don't need to leave gaps between the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmbe wrote:
If you have enough table space, you can also (or instead) arrange your explored islands to match the layout in the center. This can be done in a smaller area than the center layout because you don't need to leave gaps between the cards.

This would also work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reitz
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No move is forbidden except the forbidden move.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just don't see the point in making a game more fiddly than it needs to be. I appreciate the simplicity of it and think that paying attention to what's going on with the other players is part of the game. But, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cornelius
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's how we play too. Something that should have been included in the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmbe wrote:

Brian,

Just wanted to let you we played this way a few times when we had a big enough table. Works quite well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted to add cubes, how many would I need per player? 9? (Haven't played the game yet)

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.