Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Cruel Necessity» Forums » General

Subject: Wow, it has Hull on the playing map. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am from 'ull (not a typo) originally. It is a place that is on the receiving end of a lot of ridicule in this country and is often described as a depressing place to live. It certainly isn't a Venice, but it is ignorance of Hull's history that people so easily dismiss its rundown appearance. There is a reason it looks a little shabby.

Hull was practically levelled during WW2 with 95% of houses damaged or destroyed and half of the population were made homeless! It was the second most damaged city in the UK.
To this day there are still 'temporary car parks' in the city centre that occupy the spaces of buildings that were destroyed by bombing raids during WW2. My parents born some time after WW2 talk of playing in 'bombed buildings' that were left derelict for years following the war. This is testament to the lack of investment and help Hull received following the war. And it is only in the last year or two that the national media has begun to acknowledge the devastation that Hull suffered.

So having grown up in a forgotten city it always seems novel to see or hear its name. I still get excited if ever I see Hull labelled on the TV weather map. So to see it as a significant location on a Victory Point Games board game map, I gotta say I became quite faint. I had already read about the game on the VPG website and on BGG and was lining it up as my next VPG purchase when I saw the map. At that point it suddenly became a 'necessity' to own this game.

Hull played a major part in the civil war closing its gates to Charles I and preventing him access to a substantial arsenal. To this day monarchs seem to suffer a similar level of respect in Hull, as all the statues of Kings and Queens are situated above public toilets.

25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are happy to see that 'Ull is suitably represented in the game, whenever I see a game that features the British Isles, I always check to see if Bristol is featured predominantly enough for my liking. Both 'Ull and Bristle get plenty of action in Cruel Necessity.

If you want another game that also features Hull, check out Unhappy King Charles!. Hull is a key fortress in the North and a tough nut to crack.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl - thanks SO much for posting this, it made my day! Hull is a great city and I'm sorry to hear it gets neglected as it has been such a critical part of England's history. I had to make Hull one of the fortress cities that gives the player that much needed Zeal!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Does it also have 'ell and 'alifax?

But applause for your justified local pride; I don't suppose I will ever see Greyabbey on a gameboard unless I design it myself.

And I miss HKR...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdsholm Ferret
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hull is also one of nine English cities in the epic Napoleonic game "Empires in Arms".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to put it on record that I have nothing against 'ull, a great northern city, birthplace of William Wilberforce who was instrumental in the abolition of slavery and Amy Johnson, aviator who was the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia.

It's great to see a game that doesn't think England and London are the only names on the map.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
Glad you are happy to see that 'Ull is suitably represented in the game, whenever I see a game that features the British Isles, I always check to see if Bristol is featured predominantly enough for my liking. Both 'Ull and Bristle get plenty of action in Cruel Necessity.

If you want another game that also features Hull, check out Unhappy King Charles!. Hull is a key fortress in the North and a tough nut to crack.


nerdsholmferret wrote:
Hull is also one of nine English cities in the epic Napoleonic game "Empires in Arms".


Uh oh, I feel a geeklist coming on and november becoming an expensive month. I will have to have a look at these games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
professorwelch wrote:
Karl - thanks SO much for posting this, it made my day! Hull is a great city and I'm sorry to hear it gets neglected as it has been such a critical part of England's history. I had to make Hull one of the fortress cities that gives the player that much needed Zeal!


I am very much looking forward to playing your game, I love the idea of managing all the different aspects from politics and economics to the battles and revolts etc. I studied the civil war at college some years ago and it is all a little hazy so I plan to dust off a few books before getting it.

I may actually ask for this as an xmas present so it is sat under the tree up in Hull when I go home for christmas.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NikTheRake wrote:
Does it also have 'ell and 'alifax?

But applause for your justified local pride; I don't suppose I will ever see Greyabbey on a gameboard unless I design it myself.

And I miss HKR...


A rovers fan?


Punk Reaper wrote:
I would like to put it on record that I have nothing against 'ull, a great northern city, birthplace of William Wilberforce who was instrumental in the abolition of slavery and Amy Johnson, aviator who was the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia.

It's great to see a game that doesn't think England and London are the only names on the map.


Two very worthy mentions there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Father Christmas takes care of this for you :-) I look forward to your comments on the game and a picture of you and the game in 'ull (see - I'm getting the proper spelling)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiminy
msg tools
"Folktales tell of the great flocks of robins and early birds that may be found nesting within the King's town..."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Morley
United Kingdom
Hastings
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they actually placed Hull in the right location?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed they have Roger - though given that all the cities are (understandably) the same size, Hull's western suburbs are heading off towards Leeds laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And now Hull is set to be the City of Culture in 2014!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Go 'ull!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.