Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M:tG Booster drafting is relatively expensive, but players can generally expect to recover a good fraction by selling off expensive cards to constructed format players.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how that works out in an LCG, where the upper limit for cards (outside core set) is 5 dollars (data pack price / 3), and the expected value is like.. 25 cents.

Is anyone expecting a singles market to appear? I see Team Covenant has a store (http://teamcovenant.com/store/netrunner-lcg/singles.html?dir...), so it's clearly plausible, but it's a pretty sparse list, and I'm not so sure anyone's actually paying 5 dollars for Melange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
I think it's certainly conceivable that a singles market will develop for:

a) any alt-art cards that look really good (and thus far every alt-art card except Eli has been quite good)
b) Core Set one-ofs (most notably SanSan, Desperado, Grimoire, and Troubleshooter) or maybe two-ofs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Fetterkey, and I can also see myself paying a few dollars to pick up 3-sets of staple cards that I want in lots of decks - like Kati Jones, Plascrete, Ice Wall, Hedge Fund, etc. New players may be interested in this as well as an alternative to buying all the data packs released to date when they really only want a few cards from some packs.

Even with that, I don't think the singles market will be a huge, and I don't expect ANR drafting to be massive either.

But I'm expecting and hoping that Netrunner drafting will be a format that has some success and sticks around. Luckily it doesn't need to be hugely popular to be a success for FFG, as development costs must be minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we'll find a way to make it more cost-effective for players and then, yes, it will stick around. It will be a part of regionals and worlds would be my guess.

My son and I have been playing around doing mock drafts with our extra core set cards and as much of the algorithm as we could figure out and it's a blast. Really fun way to play Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Berr wrote:
I agree with Fetterkey

I think Fetterkey couldn't be more wrong about alt art Eli and alt art Crypsis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
etherial wrote:

Hah! OK, you're both wrong! Alt-art Eli and Crypsis are both fine looking cards.

Maybe we can set up some alt art card trading as people swap the alt art they don't like for one they prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berr wrote:
etherial wrote:

Hah! OK, you're both wrong! Alt-art Eli and Crypsis are both fine looking cards.

Please explain to me what Alt-art Crypsis actually depicts? I sure don't know.

I don't like Eli because it's not the greatest composition: you're seeing it from the side. Having the presented in profile lessens the dramatic impact. Compare the original art: he's facing the viewer, he's making eye contact, and he looks intelligent. Alt-Art Eli looks vacant and disengaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
back on topic. I don't see drafting to take on a life of its own as it has in Magic. I see ANR Drafting as an entertaining way for my group of friends to challenge each other but with different decks than we have been playing.

We recently had a similar idea just to switch up the game a bit. Which was to have a mini-tournament in which each player brings all of their card pool with them. Then we distribute faction identities randomly. Each player gets 30 minutes to build a deck for their identity. Then play the tournament, allowing swapping of up to 6 cards in between rounds.

I thought of this as a way to inspire deck building. To see potential decks and give them a try quickly. and to step out of our regular habits in building and playing.

I think drafting will have a similar effect. When it is available my group will probably gather together to get several packs to form a cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think drafting will help new players. the more total cards there are the worse the initial investment becomes.
the LCG format is great because it is reasonably cheap to get into and play in. but in few years, getting all of the datapacks might be out of people's price ranges.
but sniping some of the key cards off draft single fallout will let people build a deck for cheaper.

I imagine you could probably charge a little under a third of the cost of the relevant datapack and people would buy em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.