Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kent
United States
Houston
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Rounds 2 and 3 draft monsters:

a) Turn over # monsters = to the number of players.
b) The player with the lowest XP chooses a monster first. Next lowest chooses from the remaining monstors .. and so on.
c) All players get to look at and consider their initial deck of 6 equipment cards as choosing a monster.

It helped the player in last survive rounds 2 and 3.

2) Mind tap copies - DOES NOT EXHAUST.

This card utterly devastates your target and is the only card that does this.

3) No loss of skill on death.

All this does is prevent the last place player from getting kicked while he/she is down.

4) After all monsters are exhausted from the supply, instead of one more round for all, everyone can finish fighting their current monster.

Allows players to be on a more even XP footing for rounds 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want a co op game.

If anything it just needs to go back to the original design of no preview monsters

It's not the only one, the copy weapon one allows you to use their weapon and discard it to kill a monster of a certain type in round 3.

There should be a penalty for dying. This is not a euro game. Not all games need a catch up mechanic or have even scores at the end. Who is doing best should win, and if they are doing it better than everyone else they should win by alot. This game is short enough it's not a big deal if one person is having a rough game or another is running away.

This is to prevent high armor turtling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

It's not the only one, the copy weapon one allows you to use their weapon and discard it to kill a monster of a certain type in round 3.

Copy Weapon doesn't work that way.

I would hardly call Mike's suggestions a catch-up mechanism, you aren't killing monsters and you are getting less gold, but to further set people back just makes a long game even more frustrating if you get a bad early round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I would hardly call Mike's suggestions a catch-up mechanism, you aren't killing monsters and you are getting less gold, but to further set people back just makes a long game even more frustrating if you get a bad early round.

Why doesn't it? Says use it as if you own it. I'm guessing it was designed that was so someone just doesn't dump into skills to boost the damage of them to crazy levels.

Yes it's really hard to come back if you have a terrible first round, but not impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Why doesn't it? Says use it as if you own it. I'm guessing it was designed that was so someone just doesn't dump into skills to boost the damage of them to crazy levels.

Yes it's really hard to come back if you have a terrible first round, but not impossible.

It doesn't because the card clarification sheet that comes with the game says it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I personally don't care for the game, but you are playing copy weapon wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
certainly missed that, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kent
United States
Houston
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

If anything it just needs to go back to the original design of no preview monsters

There should be a penalty for dying. This is not a euro game. Not all games need a catch up mechanic or have even scores at the end. Who is doing best should win, and if they are doing it better than everyone else they should win by alot. This game is short enough it's not a big deal if one person is having a rough game or another is running away.

No, I do not want a co op version. My suggestions are designed to make the game not suck when you fall behind. I primarily play games to have fun. Getting hammered early results in an unenjoyable hour and a half for that player.

Regarding mind tap, there are 2 in the deck. That makes it largely luck on who gets to attack another player with it. It is the only card that allows for a direct attack of another player.

There is already a penalty for dying. You don't get XP for the rest of the round. Basically, if you die, you won't win. Why should it get worse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikus42 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

No, I do not want a co op version. My suggestions are designed to make the game not suck when you fall behind. I primarily play games to have fun. Getting hammered early results in an unenjoyable hour and a half for that player.

Regarding mind tap, there are 2 in the deck. That makes it largely luck on who gets to attack another player with it. It is the only card that allows for a direct attack of another player.

There is already a penalty for dying. You don't get XP for the rest of the round. Basically, if you die, you won't win. Why should it get worse?

If we are not playing with 5, we take Mind Trap out of the deck. Simply hate that card.

I think what you have suggested for Mind Trap is acceptable and will be our house rule.

Like you said, we play games to have fun. Not to sit for an hour and half of misery knowing you've no chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikus42 wrote:

I have been thinking about how to improve this game. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I also don't like that it is mostly chance that determines your trophy points... one way to counteract this a bit is to give one point for every trophy CARD you have as well, that way you aren't killing monsters and getting NO points for it. It is still a bit unbalanced and based on chance though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember you can always pass 1 monster on your turn, even if you just drawn it. unless of course no one has an open spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
remember you can always pass 1 monster on your turn, even if you just drawn it. unless of course no one has an open spot.

You can actually pass up to two monsters if you take the blind draw. Your first pass must be the monster you already have at the start of your turn and the second can be the first monster you get on a blind pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can't pass twice.
it says "if the player passes the monster, he must draw a new monster from the pile and attack it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
you can't pass twice.
it says "if the player passes the monster, he must draw a new monster from the pile and attack it."

I know, that's why I said if you pass two, the first must be the one you already have at the start of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
you can't pass twice.

I know, that's why I said if you pass two, the first must be the one you already have at the start of your turn.

no you can only pass 1. if you pass one you had in front of you at the start of your turn you must fight what you draw. you can't pass again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried having 2 or 3 monsters on display instead of the standard 1?
This would give players more options when choosing to draw a new monster, thus removing some of the monster randomness. Having only 1 visible, or draw a blind one, seems pretty limited and very random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig kennedy
United States
East Berlin
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE how mean Mind Tap is. This is one of the games we pull out when we want something mean and dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind Tap is also quite expensive, so you're not buying something else when going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.