Subject: Diversify my collection please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking to diversify my collection! Since getting into hobby gaming a little while ago I keep discovering I like games I never thought I would. I'm about to get a few more games and get rid of some of my mainstream stuff. I would love a recommendation on a game or two that fills a gap in my collection. So check out my games and let me know what you think.

Games I've tried and didn't like:

Android: Netrunner
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Il Vecchio a look. It has set collection and area majority in it. The spots where you collect resources keep shifting around the board which is quite interesting. Collected tiles grant powers which I always enjoy. Plus, it plays great at all listed number of players, including two. It also plays very fast since you only get one action per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring
Dawn of the Zeds
Dungeon Lords
Cutthroat Caverns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short on racing games it seems other than that, Vasco da Gama cause it is different. Also something with the Rondel system like Imperial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I will check these out. I'm not a big LotR fan, would I still like games with that theme? Also, I was considering Formula D, is it a great race game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some euros:

Best race game I've tried so far: Powerboats

Auction game: Ra

Martin Wallace: Any, really. But you need one.

Worker Placement: Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice collection.

El Grande Came out in 1995 and alot will say that definitively to this day its still the best area control game ever made. I cant argue this.

Citadels Great little role selection game. Just play it with the right people as it can get mean at times. Ive seen more then one blow up at the table over this game. I still love it though.

Alien Frontiers This along with The Castles of Burgundy are my two favorite dice chucking worker placment games i own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo
Seasons
Elder Sign
Ghost Stories
Galaxy Trucker
Merchants & Marauders
Clash of Cultures
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:

Best race game I've tried so far: Powerboats

Powerboats and Formula D work a bit similar (both with dice, while you can chose how many (boats) or which dice size (formula) you use).
Formula has a lot more extra details and rules and takes longer, Powerboats is much simpler and faster.

I would also recommend Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2 if you can get one copy somewhere, a very nice & clever racing game, which is also liked by some people who are not typical race game fans, and which has impressive bits also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play some of your games? It looks like you havent even played half of your own games yet...

For some recomendations some info about your taste, gaming group and length would be handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own one Martin Wallace. Aeroplanes. I love brass, I might buy that but it doesn't really diversify my collection IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pouvla wrote:
Play some of your games? It looks like you havent even played half of your own games yet...

For some recomendations some info about your taste, gaming group and length would be handy

I don't record my plays anymore these days. I could never keep up with it so I quit.

I moved this summer so I don't have a regular gaming group anymorecry
However, I have several part time groups and "in training" gamers I'm working on. Most of which are willing to try anything I throw at them.

My prefrences, well, here are my current top ten, but I'm really hoping that you all can broden my horizons. I will lose many friends over the next comment I will make. I've never really liked fantasy or sci-fi. However, I think my tastes might be changing a bit on this front. A year ago the idea of a cooperative game made me want to throw up and now I love them and cant get enough. I want to grow as a gamer and hopefully design some day.
#1: Power Grid
#2: Crokinole
#3: Trajan
#4: Caylus
#5: Small World
#6: Dominion
#7: Le Havre
#8: Pandemic
#9: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
#10: A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lots of great stuff on here guys! Thank you very much. I will be looking into these suggestions for sure. I'm definitely going to be getting a race game or two soon, as well as look into some games with fantasy themes that previously scared me away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Core Worlds too (2-5 players). It is its own game, it is not Dominion nor Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You rank Trajan and Castles of Burgundy pretty high, so you have some fondness for Stefan Feld's designs. Bruges still has Feld's tight, forced decisions, but plays quite differently and a little quicker than Trajan and Burgundy.

I don't see much stock portfolio management in your collection. How about Airlines Europe? It plays like a sibling of Ticket to Ride, but is a little deeper and is definitely a stock game. Or consider the old classic, Acquire, which looks bland but continues to ehxibit strong game play for a stock theme. Both are solid, fun games.

Are you interested in adding a railroad game? The concept of String Railways seems a little weird to me, and I see that you didn't rank it so high. A good RR game is Rolling Freight. Dice rolling makes it somewhat less hard-core than some train gamers want, but it has plenty of meat on the bones.

Finally, I encourage you to look at Village. The theme is kind of ordinary (life in a Medieval village), but it comes through very nicely in the game. The action selection and resource management mechanisms work well together. All our games have had close scoring and lots of fun decision points. I've introduced it to about ten people (dedicated geeks and newer gamers), and every one of them said they enjoyed the game play quite a bit. It's a real winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
You rank Trajan and Castles of Burgundy pretty high, so you have some fondness for Stefan Feld's designs. Bruges still has Feld's tight, forced decisions, but plays quite differently and a little quicker than Trajan and Burgundy.

I don't see much stock portfolio management in your collection. How about Airlines Europe? It plays like a sibling of Ticket to Ride, but is a little deeper and is definitely a stock game. Or consider the old classic, Acquire, which looks bland but continues to ehxibit strong game play for a stock theme. Both are solid, fun games.

Are you interested in adding a railroad game? The concept of String Railways seems a little weird to me, and I see that you didn't rank it so high. A good RR game is Rolling Freight. Dice rolling makes it somewhat less hard-core than some train gamers want, but it has plenty of meat on the bones.

Finally, I encourage you to look at Village. The theme is kind of ordinary (life in a Medieval village), but it comes through very nicely in the game. The action selection and resource management mechanisms work well together. All our games have had close scoring and lots of fun decision points. I've introduced it to about ten people (dedicated geeks and newer gamers), and every one of them said they enjoyed the game play quite a bit. It's a real winner.

I do love Feld. I plan on getting Amerigo and had Bruges behind Bora Bora on my desire list but I will give it some deeper consideration now. Thanks!!

I love the idea of stock portfolio management. I will Acquire these. (pun intended).

Yes, train games interest me very much and your right I don't have any except light stuff like TtR and string railroad. Heavy train game, check.

I have considered Village many times, I will take a closer look.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions and comments!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.