Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Brand New. Where do I start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sunny Ravencourt
msg tools
So I was at worlds for xwing miniatures (great time btw) and I talked to a TON of people about card games, particularly this one and netrunner. So I'd like to check them both out. I know you can play them on octgn, but I'm not even close to ready for that yet. Is there some threads for a completely new player to read up on how to get started?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sunny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say grab a copy of the core set and find a victim friend to go through it with.

Out of the core set, the Jedi and Rebel faction focus on attacking frequently to constantly, while the Sith faction sits back quietly, defending against the opponent's attacks. The Navy builds up a massive force of units and steamrolls it's opponent.

More than anything else, remember it might take a couple games to get a feel for how the game plays.

As for a purchase order, I'd say pick up a copy of Edge of Darkness before doubling up on your core set, if you want to get the Smuggler and Scum factions. If you feel the game's too random, but you still enjoy it, then a duplicate core set might be in order, before adding Edge of Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend starting with these two videos:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/24209/star-wars-the-card-game...
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/27070/star-wars-the-card-game...

As Michael suggests, start with one core set and one Edge of Darkness, get a feel for it, and then go all in if you like it.

Long term, you'll want two copies of the core set, two copies of the Edge of Darkness expansion, one copy of the Balance of the Force expansion (due out in December), and one copy of each of the released Force Packs. For the Force Packs, I think it's easiest to just get them in release order. They're all really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Ravencourt
msg tools
well, I got the core set. I played a game with a guy who plays regularly.

Love it.

So now I'm attempting the real killing blow which is getting my wife to play with me. Lots of bribery involved.

Next noob question. Deckbuilding. Where do I want to go for that, and how do I even begin the process of finding decks and how they should be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of user submitted decks are on cardgamedb. You can use the Star Wars deck builder and/or card search to build your own too. The Star Wars sections of the forums there are pretty active too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some deck lists posted in the forums here, too. The problem now is that you only have one core set, and most deck lists you'll find will have utilize two core sets or at least one core set plus some Force Packs, like in these threads:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990746/light-side-losing-eve...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/996364/famed-single-core-com...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000483/simple-deck-building...

What I would suggest is that you just look through all the cards you have and try to determine what you think are the best cards (like Yoda, Han, Luke, and Vader) and include the objectives that those cards appear in.

Typically, most decks run 7-8 objectives from one affiliation (like Jedi) and 2-3 objectives from another affiliation (like Smugglers). This is sometimes called "splashing". So you might say you are playing a mostly Jedi deck with a splash of Smugglers. In this scenario, you should choose to be the affiliation of whichever affiliation you have the fewest number of objectives (in this case, Smugglers) so that you will always have a way to deploy cards that require a resource of that affiliation. (Your affiliation card generates one resource of that affiliation, remember.)

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Ravencourt
msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
There's some deck lists posted in the forums here, too. The problem now is that you only have one core set, and most deck lists you'll find will have utilize two core sets or at least one core set plus some Force Packs, like in these threads:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990746/light-side-losing-eve...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/996364/famed-single-core-com...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000483/simple-deck-building...

What I would suggest is that you just look through all the cards you have and try to determine what you think are the best cards (like Yoda, Han, Luke, and Vader) and include the objectives that those cards appear in.

Typically, most decks run 7-8 objectives from one affiliation (like Jedi) and 2-3 objectives from another affiliation (like Smugglers). This is sometimes called "splashing". So you might say you are playing a mostly Jedi deck with a splash of Smugglers. In this scenario, you should choose to be the affiliation of whichever affiliation you have the fewest number of objectives (in this case, Smugglers) so that you will always have a way to deploy cards that require a resource of that affiliation. (Your affiliation card generates one resource of that affiliation, remember.)

Hope this helps!

Yeah it does! That just answered about 4 questions I had, including what the hell splashing meant. Plus, the bit about the affiliation being the lesser of the objectives in the deck makes a lot of sense now.

So let me ask you this: I understand that 1 core gives me extremely limited options for building (I get that). If I was to then go and purchase my next few things with say, 50 bucks, would it be the edge of darkness expansion? Or another core? What would be a better investment to start building good decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunnyravencourt wrote:
So let me ask you this: I understand that 1 core gives me extremely limited options for building (I get that). If I was to then go and purchase my next few things with say, 50 bucks, would it be the edge of darkness expansion? Or another core? What would be a better investment to start building good decks?
A second core is your best option, so you can build more consistent decks. Edge of Darkness also only includes 1 of each objective set, so it adds more variety but you'd still be left with less focused decks. Also you'll find plenty of decklists posted online for 2 core sets, but relatively few for 1 core + 1 EoD.

I would definitely recommend 2 copies of Edge of Darkness as the next step after 2 core sets though, as it fleshes out the other 2 factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get another core set for $26.99 and Edge of Darkness for $19.99 at CoolStuffInc.com. That comes to $46.98, which is less than your $50 budget, but you really need two Edge of Darkness sets. That would put you at $66.97, at which point you should just throw in a few Force Packs to get up to the $100 free shipping threshold at CoolStuffInc.com.

If $50 is a hard limit, however, I'd suggest 1 core set plus the first two Force Packs ($9.99 each): The Desolation of Hoth and The Search for Skywalker. That comes to $46.97 plus shipping. Remember you only have to buy one of each Force Pack since they include two of each non-neutral objective set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Ravencourt
msg tools
there's no hard limit. I'm just curious where I should put my first investments.

Looks like no way around it, I'm getting edge of darkness, whether 1 or two, and another core.

Here's another question which may be really over the top, but here goes: Is there a lot of variance in the "competitive" decks? Or at a major tourney like Worlds, are people all basically running the same stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunnyravencourt wrote:
Here's another question which may be really over the top, but here goes: Is there a lot of variance in the "competitive" decks? Or at a major tourney like Worlds, are people all basically running the same stuff?

I thought there was a good amount of variety, especially in LS. Of the 16 finalists, about half used a DS deck called Sith Control or a close variant that just added one objective. The rest of the DS decks and the LS were all over the map for the most part. But I invite you to track them down (see other thread in this forum) and examine the deck lists yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
sunnyravencourt wrote:

I thought there was a good amount of variety, especially in LS. Of the 16 finalists, about half used a DS deck called Sith Control or a close variant that just added one objective. The rest of the DS decks and the LS were all over the map for the most part. But I invite you to track them down (see other thread in this forum) and examine the deck lists yourself.
Sith control (i.e. those without a decklist but noted as Sith control, or those with decklists including Fall of the Jedi, Counsel of the Sith and Emperor's Web) was 75% of the top 16. 3 of the other 4 Dark Side decks included at least 1 of those 3 objective sets as well, and 2 were heavily Sith.

There was indeed a lot more variety on the Light Side. Smugglers and Spies is still the most heavily played faction by a considerable margin, but there are a lot of different S&S objective sets being used in different deck types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.