E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We determined that a number of cards needed to be reined in, and we've found the following house-rules to add a little balance back to the game...

For all games:

The following card effects limited to recovering/gaining cards with cost 5 or less:
(-) The Wolves of Isengard Will Return
(-) Brego
(-) Shadowfax
(-) Peregrin Took
(-) A New Power is Rising
(-) Uruk-Hai Torch Bearer (both regular and Impossible)

For 'extended' games:

We often play with more arch-enemies, sometimes with all of them... When we combine Two Towers and Fellowship, we randomize the arch-enemies but will still often play with 2/5/5/2 of level 1/2/3/4... The following house-rules are for playing this way...

We find it necessary to add at least 1 extra Wall card per player in these extended games, and sometimes we put 2 extra per player if we want to have a stronger chance of making it all the way through all the arch-enemies...

We of course play with the above card modifications... These work particularly well with extended games for many, many reasons... A specific example is the Torch Bearer nuke, to prevent a player who has managed to get both the regular and impossible Torch Bearers into their hand being able to combo them until they can buy everything, and/or cycle their entire deck if they have even a lone "draw a card" in their hand...

We play any level 4 arch-enemies that happen to get purchased and cycled back into a hand before the game ends as being worth +4...

And lastly, we changed the typical "everyone loses if the main deck is depleted" to "the game ends if the main deck is depleted"... With games designed to be as long as ours end up, we just decided to treat the main deck like the wall deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions. I particularly like the level 4 arch enemy being +4 power, although, when you get to buy him, the game is nearly over and you have a big deck of cards by then, so it probably won't come up too often.

I have played a few times now, with various mixtures including every card from both games.

I haven't found it necessary to change the number of wall cards per player (having played 2, 3 or 4 players, but not 5 yet) - we have gone through the wall in only 2 games. We have finished the game with an intact (or at least rebuilt) wall once.

The best games are when Shadowfax/Gandalf/Treebeard and other powerful cards don't turn up until a little later in the game, so shuffling them into the lower part of the deck at the start of the game is a reasonable option without having to change their rules.

I must say I really love this game (and FotR), even the powerful cards, and I am reluctant to change the rules of any card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.