Subject: Once you're in the van? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Faldwin Bard
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do all the same rules apply to characters in the van as outside them? I know that they have the option to move the van/shoot from the van, but can they also take other actions such as those given by their character's ability? For example, could Father Micheal give one of his actions to help another character enter the van?

Also, once you are in the van, do you attract zombies the same as if you are not in it? And do you have to fight zombies in the same space as you, from inside the van? Does the van provide no protection from zombies?

And finally, can characters drive the van closer to the cabin? I know that they cannot use the radio to bring it closer, but the rules don't seem to be clear on whether it can be driven closer.

I love this game, but as many have said before the rules are a bit confusing in places. An official errata would be lovely, I think. Overall, I am looking for more clarification on what characters may do, once they are in the van.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My best guess is:

That once you are in the van you can do nothing but drive (if you are the first player into the van) or shoot (if you are the second or later player into the van).

The van only moves in the outer ring, never closer, even with a driver.

The van does not attract zombies.

People in the van do not fight zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horatio252 wrote:
My best guess is:

That once you are in the van you can do nothing but drive (if you are the first player into the van) or shoot (if you are the second or later player into the van).

The van only moves in the outer ring, never closer, even with a driver.

The van does not attract zombies.

People in the van do not fight zombies.

I'm pretty sure that in the chart in the Rulebook, there is an entry that says zombies *do* move towards the van if it is in their line of sight and no characters or survivors can be seen. I don't have the rule book in front of me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatqueerpoet wrote:

I love this game, but as many have said before the rules are a bit confusing in places. An official errata would be lovely, I think.

This. A thousand times this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faldwin Bard
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the response. I am really hoping that Justin will jump into this thread as he has others, but in the meantime let me ask a clarifying question to your response.

If the players in the van do not attract zombies, do they also not get the bait token passed to them? Because if they do get the bait token, but don't attract zombies, then the person to the left of the person in the van essentially has the bait token for two rounds in a row, which seems an unfair disadvantage given merely for where they chose to sit. And if you don't give them the bait token, then they never go first in the round.

The rules state that zombies in the cabin, with no characters in the cabin, will go for the rescue van. So when I played, I expanded on the spirit of that rule and took it to mean that the van did attract zombies.

When the van attracts zombies, but the person in the van doesn't fight them, it creates this horde of zombies around the van that makes it harder and harder to get to the van the longer you wait. The last game I played, I died right outside the van, which was very dramatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatqueerpoet wrote:

The rules state that zombies in the cabin, with no characters in the cabin, will go for the rescue van. So when I played, I expanded on the spirit of that rule and took it to mean that the van did attract zombies.

good catch, I missed that. There are two options. One is that the van is just as attractive as a person and will attract closer zombies. The other is that zombies have a set of priorities, seeking first a person, and if there are none, then heading for the van.

The problem with fighting from the van is that as soon as you enter the van you discard all of your cards. If you fight then all you can do is push them back. That makes me think you are not suppose to fight from the van other than shooting your rifle during the player turn.

the bait token might skip players in the van. This would not create a double round bait as the token would just pass over player(s) in the van.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.