United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
What SUX most in wargames?
I Hate setting up. I have 2 FtF opponents that are good at setting up and VASSAL sets itself up most of the time. But I hate setting up and putting stuff away.

Edit: I am not taking any responsibility for my self in this thread. I am in a strange place at once whimsical and antagonistic. Its like somebody else is doing the typing. But I'm already taking a whole mess of medication. And I would rather spend my money on GMT games that on therapy. So srry if this thread SUX!!!

Edit: I had a good nights sleep with nice dreams so I am all better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BacktotheFront
United States
Bel Air
flag msg tools
Veni Vidi Vici Qua Patet Orbis
badge
Rhodesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Never enough time for all the games I like to play, scenarios, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
BacktotheFront wrote:
Never enough time for all the games I like to play, scenarios, etc.

But is that a SUX of your life? Or a SUX of Wargames????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sux"?! I tell you what sucks, young folks using words that need disambiguation and a search in an urban dictionary. Now get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
"Sux"?! I tell you what sucks, young folks using words that need disambiguation and a search in an urban dictionary. Now get off my lawn.

Lawn SUX IT has pupes from dawg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting up a game - especially a monster wargame - is the ZEN of Wargaming.

Comtemplate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Grogs
APO/FPO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you what sucks - people who undertake to act in my name but don't deliver.

If that happens this year I'll be getting my elves to gift wrap a punch in the nuts and delivering it personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa Grogs wrote:
I'll tell you what sucks - people who undertake to act in my name but don't deliver.

If that happens this year I'll be getting my elves to gift wrap a punch in the nuts and delivering it personally.

I hear you saying someone needs a punch in the nuts? How do you feel about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Santa Grogs wrote:

I hear you saying someone needs a punch in the nuts? How do you feel about that?

See! I told you all! LanceRunolfsson is nothing but an Eliza program.

What sucks? Not anyone in town who plays Combat Commander. Bunch of ASL weenies, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Setting up a game - especially a monster wargame - is the ZEN of Wargaming.

Comtemplate...

Tru dat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Fnar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What SUX most?
Bad rulebooks / scenario books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleanup on large games is the worst. "How are we dividing these up? Unit? Order of entry? Unit? OK, what level? Wait, I can't find 352/24. Did somebody already get him? Maybe, what color is he? Where was he on the map? Did you check under the table? Everybody, check your sleeves. Do the air units go together, or are we separating the fighters, bombers and transports?

Headache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebooks.

I hate having to read, for example, under movement that a unit cannot enter a hex if it lacks the movement points, and that it cannot save or transfer movement points, etc, etc...

But if I skip the section, there will be a tiny blurb that is unique to that game, and by missing that, I either screw up the balance in my solo game or hose myself in a F2F game.

Multiply this phenomenon across numerous rules for hexsides, card play, line of sight, etc, and it makes reading rules a boring chore.

I wish there were a set of wargame standards, like GURPS (General Universal Role Playing System). And then your instructions could have these rules written in color, so I know I could pass them over.

By the way, I don't mind "Sux". I call Boston's baseball team the "Red Sux" or "The Sux". I thought that was what your post was referencing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Rulebooks.

I wish there were a set of wargame standards, like GURPS (General Universal Role Playing System). And then your instructions could have these rules written in color, so I know I could pass them over.

That's why I like to stick to games that are part of a series or are at least a quad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Rulebooks.

I hate having to read, for example, under movement that a unit cannot enter a hex if it lacks the movement points, and that it cannot save or transfer movement points, etc, etc...

But if I skip the section, there will be a tiny blurb that is unique to that game, and by missing that, I either screw up the balance in my solo game or hose myself in a F2F game.

Multiply this phenomenon across numerous rules for hexsides, card play, line of sight, etc, and it makes reading rules a boring chore.

By the way, I don't mind "Sux". I call Boston's baseball team the "Red Sux" or "The Sux". I thought that was what your post was referencing.

This was my one issue with the France '40 rulebook. I think its warranted to call Mr. Simonitch's "'4X" games a series. I was sorta hoping France '40 made that step and had "Series Rules" followed by "Unique Game Rules"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Rulebooks.

Makes sense to me. We'd have what used to be a 36 page rulebook starting off with "This game uses Standard Hex Game Rules IIa", and then go off for the next 32 pages of specialized rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barber
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of local opponents!
I live in a college town so I figured there would be more historically minded nerds around. Finding people to play any board game with complexity beyond Settlers is tough, finding someone to play Red Winter or anything more advanced is neigh impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
thatsmybarber wrote:
Lack of local opponents!
I live in a college town so I figured there would be more historically minded nerds around. Finding people to play any board game with complexity beyond Settlers is tough, finding someone to play Red Winter or anything more advanced is neigh impossible.

Have you tried the Geek user search for your area? Even in Medford Oregon I find a few!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Have you tried the Geek user search for your area?

Not trying to criticize an otherwise good suggestion, but having a gamer "in the area" doesn't necessarily equate to that person being someone you can actually game with. They might not be interested in the same types of games you are, might not have a schedule that's compatible with yours, or might have a personality that you can't abide (I've run across all three in my quest to find locals to game with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
Punching counters.

It would not be so bad if the counters were big enough to use my whole fist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Have you tried the Geek user search for your area?

Not trying to criticize an otherwise good suggestion, but having a gamer "in the area" doesn't necessarily equate to that person being someone you can actually game with. They might not be interested in the same types of games you are, might not have a schedule that's compatible with yours, or might have a personality that you can't abide (I've run across all three in my quest to find locals to game with).

All true Lance. But you have to kiss a few frogs:^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a love/hate thing with the learning curve in wargames. Love it because the exploration of the game and system is most enjoyable. Hate it because with so many games vying for my limited availability, I don't get the repetition I need/crave on the heavier games (I am looking at you Axis Empires....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Caught myself humming happily and all so serenely while bombing Kassel, 8 HE and 12 incendiary.
If were not by me, might have appeared evil and sinister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Caught myself humming happily and all so serenely while bombing Kassel, 8 HE and 12 incendiary.
If were not by me, might have appeared evil and sinister.

Some things are ok to hum while playing wargames ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.