Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have watched reviews for both. Can anyone give me a run down on which expansion I should get first. Pros and cons of each? Types of spell cards that can compliment a wider range of mages? Most fun new mages to play? I have been playing with my wife mostly and she loves the game. We want to add more options.
Thanks. If there is a link to this questioned already answered could you kindly post it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get different answers from everyone who replies.

There's not much in it. Pick whichever you and your wife like the look of the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conquest of Kumanjaro gives alternate versions of two current mages and some new spells to vary their books. This expansion just adds some new options but doesn't really change things that much. It was a must buy for me because I wasn't a big fan of the Priestess or Beastmaster in the base set and I much prefer these versions.

The Forcemaster vs. Warlord expansion however adds two completely new caster types with their own styles and spells. I think adding this expansion will really keep things fresh as they play significantly different than the other mages. You could also hold out for the Druid vs. Necromancer expansion (due out soon) if they are more to your style.

Personally, I would buy either of the "vs." expansions first as I think these provide the most value and "fun" for your dollar. You even get spellbooks provided with them which you won't get with the Kumanjaro expansion. That said, Kumanjaro is a great expansion as well and well worth buying, just not before the other two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pros and cons of each?

Forcemaster vs Warlord
Pros:
1) It fills in some major gaps from the base game. Namely fleshing out the Earth, War, and Mind schools of magic.
2) Adds the most new cards out of any existing expansion.
3) Adds two new mages that play very differently from existing mages.
4) Adds two new spellbooks.

Cons:
1) The Warlord is considered the weakest mage by everyone I've spoken with.

Conquest of Kumanjaro
Pros:
1) Adds additional options for existing mages.
2) Adds two alternate mages, providing very different feels and playstyles for those mages.
3) Adds the Intercept mechanic, providing a way to defend against ranged attackers.
4) The cheapest of the expansions.

Cons:
1) Fewest number of cards. Both in type and quantity.
2) No Spellbooks
3) Will most likely have to choose between the mage versions. It would be difficult to build both a Priest and a Priestess book to fight against one another. Thus it's really replacing mages more than it is adding them.

Druid vs Necromancer
The official release date of this expansion is not until November 20th and I do not have it as of yet. Therefore, all that follows is purely conjecture.

Pros:
1) Adds two new mages that play very differently from existing mages.
2) Adds two new spellbooks.
3) Adds new nature and darks spells that the Beastmaster and Warlock will love in addition to the new mages using them.
4) Adds the Corrode mechanic, providing a counter to stacking armor.
5) Possibly makes Swarm strategies more viable.

Cons:
Can't think of any.

Quote:
Types of spell cards that can compliment a wider range of mages?

I think I would give the win for this category to Druid vs Necromancer. It provides more cards than Conquest of Kumanjaro, and it's spells are in school for both the new mages and 2 core set mages (Beastmaster and Warlock).

Conquest of Kumanjaro is a pretty decent runner up in my opinion. Although it only provides half the cards, it spreads them around to provide support for all of the mages.

Finally, Forcemaster vs Warlord fares the worst in this category. Although Falcon Precision is now a staple in my books, and the earth spells open the doors wide open for another Wizard build, most of the spells included in the expansion are geared towards the new mages and the new schools of magic. They don't really provide a lot of support for the core set mages.

Quote:
Most fun new mages to play?

This is a tricky question. Each of them provides 2 new mages that have their own style and flare. I would declare it a three way tie, but you might want to look at the individual mages to get a feel for them to base your decision.

Quote:
Can anyone give me a run down on which expansion I should get first

I think either Druid vs Necromancer or Forcemaster vs Warlord would be fine choices for your first expansion based upon your stated desires. I would probably lean more towards DvN than FvW, but to each their own. That's not to say that Conquest of Kumanjaro isn't a good product to get, and you may eventually want it as well. It does provide very nice support for everyone, I just think you'll get more mileage out of the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your time answering this question. I was kind of leaning toward Druid vs necromancer. It looks like the mages in that offer more variety. But I also heard that the force master plays very uniquely as well. I am sure I will be owning all three some day. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really think that the Warlord is SOO MUCH fun to play! But it's true that he SEEMS a bit weaker, but I'M FARRR from a pro... hope he gets buffed or the community prooves he's not weaker! But he's a blast to play, as well as the Forcemaster...

Now, Druids and Necro also LOOK LIKE SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GET THEM ALL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmoney wrote:
I also heard that the force master plays very uniquely as well.

That goes back to your question about Most fun new mages to play, methinks. All of the mages are unique. Even the alternate Priest and Beastmaster play considerable differently from their counterparts. As far as which are most fun though, that's a subjective question and can't really be quantified.

The Forcemaster Has access to a lot of great defensive spells like Charm, Mind Control, and Forcefield, that no other mage can use currently. Also has a built in Defense Roll and the easiest access to acquiring additional Defense Rolls and Blocks out of any mage. This makes for a very frustrating and difficult mage to damage (you will want Falcon Precision vs her). Those defensive abilities are to combat a huge weakness in her playstyle, which is the fact that she can only afford a few creatures in her spellbook.

The Warlord His glaring weakness is the triple cost for Arcane spells. A lot of really essential spells are Arcane, and so this forces him to think outside of the box and include fewer of those essential spells than anyone else. His battle orders ability is really nice and gets better with the more creatures you have. Unfortunately his spawnpoint (the Barracks) is one of the worst ones in the game, so a swarm of creatures is difficult. His veteran ability is nice if you are killing off enemy creatures, but generally the point of the game is to kill the opposing mage and not their creatures. Overall, he presents a real challenge.

The Priest Malakai's Fire amounts to a larger increase in average damage than other mage's Battle Skill ability, making him an amazing front line fighter. Give him a Staff of Asyra, and he'll actually do more damage to an armored target (2+ Armor) than a Forcemaster with Galvitar will (on average) plus having a great chance to Daze or Stun. Holy Avenger gives him a buddy to back him up and makes your opponent's choice in who to attack a rather difficult one. This is very different from a Priestess who tends to stand in the back and support her creatures.

Johktari Beastmaster Her best ability is Sprinting, giving her the Fast trait. She can use this to either kite or keep the pressure on her opponent. Archery Skill is unique as well. Combine it with Hawkeye and Hunter's Bow and she is doing a 6 dice Ranged Attack. Unfortunately it is a Full Action attack so it doesn't mix well with her Sprinting ability. Finally Wounded Prey makes her stronger with a swarm than the Straywood Beastmaster is. Unfortunately she is giving up Quick Summoning, so she has a very difficult time actually getting out a swarm. She is also giving up the Pet ability, so she doesn't have as big of creatures either.

The following is again conjecture as I haven't actually played them.
The Druid Has Treebond which improves her below par stats to above par. 34 Life, 10 Channeling, and the innate ability to heal 2 damage per turn is absolutely astounding. Vine Markers are her signature ability though, allowing her to take over the entire arena. Not only do they hinder your opponent (and Elusive doesn't get rid of their hinderance because they aren't creatures) allowing you to kite like a pro, but they also allow you to spring your vine spells (most of your plants) up anywhere you choose. And your plant conjurations can attack the same turn they are cast.

The Necromancer I'm not certain how would be the most optimal way to make use of this guy yet. Having two Spawnpoints and a Ring that affects Spawnpoints lends me to think he's going to be a master of swarm tactics. Especially since if you kill his creatures, he just brings them right back. Then if he kills your creatures, he'll bring them back as well. He's the only mage I think might enjoy Meditation Amulet as he gets out 2 creatures per turn and meditates to keep the mana juices flowing. We'll see how well this works in practice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome reply. Thanks this the kind of summary I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just easier to buy them all

Great replies above. Couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really suggest getting conquest of Kumanjaro. It's my favourite expansion thus far. It only brings about 20 new spells, but there are some really good ones in there, useful in many spellbooks: enchanter's wardstone, armor ward, healing charm, eagleclaw boots, sunfire amulet, wizard's tower (probably the best spell in the game), giant spider, bridge troll, that lightning deer creature...

I thought the first expansion was pretty disappointing. The forcemaster doesn't really have many deckbuilding options, pretty much everyone builds her and plays her the same way, and she's kind of a "gimmicky" mage. Extremely powerful if you lack any way to get through defenses, but a pushover if you are prepared.

The warlord is just pretty bad. He takes so long to build up, most decks will have a high level creature in his face before he's got much of anything to defend himself with.

Also, I thought the first expansion didn't bring many spells that are useful to other mages. Other than falcon precision, most of my mages don't have any cards from that expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.