Subject: À light an easy game? NOT! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played our first game of citrus (with two players) expecting this was i light and easy tile placement game (like carcassone) you can play in 30-40 minutes or 50-60 minutes long game.
So it states on the box.

After two and a half hours the game was over! This was not "carcassone"light at all!

Okay we struggled with the bridgetile rules for about 15-20 minutes but the rest of the time was gameplay, and we are no slow players.

The first part of the rules are easy,

build a plantation or harvest. Easy
When building no plantation of the same color can start at a fincaroad. Easy
Plantation regions of the same color owned by different players cannot be adjacent to each other. Still easy

Merging:
Two regions of your own. Easy

To a neutral region of the same color, provided that your region is at least as large before the merging. This one is where it gets harder.
If players start with large regions to score more points and to get a lot of field when scoring the fincas, after they score the finca and harvest the plantation in the next turn. These plantations are very difficult to merge with.

Maybe our tactics where wrong but we found this game not so light at all.

The bridgetile rules are very confusing.
I think if it would say

You may build on top of a rock space or
build on top of a neutral region of the same color that is smaller than yours
or on top of a neutral region in a different color.

That the game was heavier than we thought is not a problem. We liked it but I think 30-40 minutes is misleading!

If you play without the merging rules so that you can always connect neutral regions to your regions of the same color and that you can always have more plantations of the same colors at a finca this would be much family friendlier and faster.

If you expect a light game you would be surprised it is nothing like that at all! Just a warning.

If you want a long and heavier tile placement game Citrus is the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30-40 minutes is for the smaller board (remember to remove plantation tiles before the game starts).
My first 2-player game took ca. 50 minutes. My first 4-player (with one slow/not understanding player) took ca. 75 minutes.
I think the time on the box is appropriate, but you are right with it not being lite as Carcassonne! It takes some plays to grasp the flow of the game.

PS I know I'm a fast player (but not all my co-players are), but 30-45 minutes for a 2-player game of Carcassonne is slow IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Stockhausen
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
"..and that you can always have more plantations of the same colors at a finca this would be much family friendlier and faster."

This is exactly the rule for the family version. (There are some variants in the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know but not the murging rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying the game!

In regards to the merging rules: if you could merge into ANY neutral region of the same color, that would break the game. As soon as someone scores a large region and abandons it, the next player would join it with a region of one or two plantations, then score it again, etc.

The merging rules comes from this situation: players sometimes started a region with a single plantation tile, then abandoned it without expanding it in order to collect income. This also blocked the Finca spaces with many small, 1-plantation neutral regions. When other players with large regions are allowed to merge with smaller ones, it makes it more of a tense decision to abandon and score a smaller region without protecting it (making sure it can't be merged by your opponents). There's a great tension there in a very simple rule.

I do understand that the rule for the Bridge tile could be written better.
Basically, you use it to cover a rock space (usually not allowed) or a neutral plantation of a different color. If the neutral tile is of the same color, you could merge with it as long as your region was bigger--than the bridge is not needed. The bridge cannot really help you with merging.

Hope your future games go smoother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
I like the game dont get me wrong, its just that we expected a light tile placement game and it turned out to be much more heavier.

We just had the feeling that after some large plantations are build its very hard to do something about it, or after they are harvest to own them again.

Maybe the next time we will play diffrent tactics.

Thanx for the response and the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Stockhausen
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you, Yves. You are right, it's not a light game. I think, there is a lot to discover and many tacticts are possible. Hope you enjoy the game more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.