Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Malacoda vs flying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nuno Costa
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hello,
does malacoda aoe area effect also damages flying creatures? Acording with rules, flying does not effect non flyers and vice versa, but it does say in the card "zone".

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Malacoda affects flying targets just like non-flying ones.

According to which rules do you think that? There are specific rules about interactions between flying and non-flying creatures for some things (hindering, attacks, etc.) and there are plenty of effects that specify whether they apply to flying or non-flying creatures, but flying and non-flying creatures aren't different in principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no place in the rules that states flying does not effect non-fliers and vice versa. The closest thing to that sentiment is that "Flying and non-Flying creatures do not hinder each other’s movement." I would recommend rereading the Flying rules on page 15 of the v2.0 Rulebook.

With that said, Malacoda's ability affects all other living creatures in the same zone. That includes flying and non-flying creatures, friendly and enemy creatures, and even the mage who summoned Malacoda.

There is some errata on Malacoda that you might also be interested in, listed in the FAQ on page 16. Malacoda has the Poison Immunity trait and the type of damage dealt by his ability is poison damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Costa
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi thx for the quick reply.
The information about fly vs non flying creatures can be found in this oficial video http://youtu.be/eKT-yK4dKUo
It is clear that flying creatures affect non flying when they wish so (with an attack). Also barriers dont affect flying, that is why i was asking about other zone abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loht wrote:
The information about fly vs non flying creatures can be found in this oficial video http://youtu.be/eKT-yK4dKUo

Both official and wrong, how annoying is that wow they threw accuracy out of the window in favor of sensationalism.

Just ignore the video and read the rulebook is my suggestion. No clue how many other errors there are in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the video is correct concerning interaction between creaturs. He just doesn't say anything about AOE spells and traits like Malacoda's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturnineage wrote:
Actually the video is correct concerning interaction between creaturs. He just doesn't say anything about AOE spells and traits like Malacoda's.

As long as you define "interaction" as "non-ranged combat and movement", then yes. He certainly doesn't make it sound that way though, the video would make me think they're completely independent of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I think the video did a decent job of explaining the traits, but it's clear that his word choice is more for an entertaining introduction to the traits than it is meant as an official source of the rules, and could be misleading in a number of places. Watching the video seems like a great idea if you don't have the game (are using a friend's copy or are still thinking about buying it), however once you actually own the game you NEED to actually read both the rules and the FAQ if you want to know how the mechanics work. Do not use the videos as a resource for rules explanations. If that's what they were meant for, all it would be is them reading the rulebook and the FAQ to you. A very boring video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loht wrote:
It is clear that flying creatures affect non flying when they wish so (with an attack). Also barriers dont affect flying, that is why i was asking about other zone abilities.

Non-flying creatures also may affect a flying creature any time they wish to. The only thing a non-flier can not do to a flying creature is a normal melee attack (unless they have reach). All other attacks, including melee counterstrikes, ranged attacks, and zone attacks, will affect a flying opponent. All special actions, effects, and abilities, will affect a flying opponent. Fliers are not immune to any conditions either.

Also, flying creatures and non-flying creatures do not hinder one another.

As far as walls are concerned, flying creatures may ignore MOST walls when moving or tracing Line of Sight. However, they are still affected by the arena walls and may be bashed against those (FAQ page 15 under Force Push).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think companies should just stop doing videos that cover 70% of the rules and then stop there. Either an introduction that says "and then you read the rulebook", or a video covering all of it (which would, indeed, be boring). Things like this one will just lead people to believe they know how to play the game when they've watched it, by no fault of their own.

Of course, good intentions and marketing and all. But still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Costa
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hello
First thank you for your replies and ideas.
I would like to clear a point in here tho.
I belive i got a poor choose of words when i mentioned at the first post "acording with the rules". I did read the rules at the book and i am not trying to play this game based on video tutorials as some might sugest.
I try to search other players to have a better understanding of the game, since its a complex game and some cards/spells might not be so clear.
Saying to ignore everything that others say, and just stick with the rule book, sugests i should also ignore what you are saying. And i do value all the sugestions/clearings that have always be given to me on these forums.
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to apologize. I believe I might have also chosen my words poorly. I definitely don't want to discourage you from asking questions and seeking answers. The pursuit of wisdom is a very noble endeavor.

I don't think anybody was saying to ignore everyone and just stick with the rule book. We were simply discussing the merits of the videos, and most of us seem to agree they are not a reliable source to answer your rules questions. In the future, if you have a question, I would stick with 3 reliable sources of information:

1) The Rule Book.
2) The FAQ.
3) The Forums. Either here on boardgamegeek or the official mage wars forums. Both have active and informed members, although the official forums also benefits from having Arcane Wonders employees who can step in if someone starts leading you astray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.