Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I really enjoy this game. Working together with 2 other players who are themselves working with other players (against me) all at the same time makes for an interesting game.

There were a few things in the base rules that I found caused issues though. The game went a bit long for what it was, the x2 scoring led to single-boat focusing, and the way action cards and energy cards worked seemed a bit off, swingy and can make the game drag (after some bad rolls). So here is my variant...

1. Each player is given only 2 Energy Cards (the bunny cards).
2. At the start of a players turn, all unlocked Action cards and both Energy cards are reset.
3. Using an Energy card can unlock one of your locked Action cards, and/or reset a used Action card (or a partner's Action card in the same boat as you)
4. There is no "Rest" action. You cannot reset an Energy card once it is used that turn. (it refreshes on your next turn automatically)

With these 4 small changes, it makes the game much faster.
A standard turn (no locked cards) now gives you 6 actions to use, instead of the normal 4.
It also balances actions between both boats. No longer can you take 2 actions from 1 boat to spend all 4 actions on the other (a 4-0 ratio). Instead, the most you can do is 4 action on one boat and 2 on the other. So both boats will always get activated.
This also solves the x1/x2 scoring problem. While you may still focus more on the x2 boat, it's no longer a game-breaking issue.
This also solves the issue with hazzards being too swingy and dragging the game on at times. Once both boats are locked it takes aaaaaaages to come back. With this variant, you always have 2 Enegery cards to reset your Action cards. So getting hit with bad dice rolls won't completely destroy your game or slow the game to a crawl.

I've already played with the variant and can confirm it plays a lot quicker, and even though players tried to focus a bit more on their x2 boats, it was still fairly close in the end. It also meant that those who were capsized, weren't out of the game or stuck playing 1 card each turn for half the game.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your variant suggestion. I will surely try it soon and give you my feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else tried this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this variant again and it worked great!

I'm still not convinced with the x1 & x2 scoring, but the gameplay was fast and interesting.

I'll always be using this variant in future, but will continue to look for a better scoring system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.