Fabio Cambiaghi
Italy
Villasanta
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am after my first game of Cornish Smuggler, and with a lot of concerns, but with two major doubts:

1. I played with 3 other people. The winner made 48 points, the others not less than 40. The score should be the sum of gold plus reputation but in the box there is a limited quantity of counters:
52 counters for reputation
46 counters for 1 gold
12 counters for 5 gold
Total score available in the box: 52+46+(12x5)=158; an average of 39.5 points for each player. Less than our average!
Counter were not enough for us.

2. In our game no one has bribed a customs officier and the customs officiers haven't seized any goods... I'm pretty sure we played with the correct rules (even with addendum), I've re-read them several times without find any mistake.
This is a big concern for me because, even without corruption and seizures (that is supposed to be the keystone of the theme) we realized more points than the ones available in te box.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maverick Reborn
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that a lot of people have been selling from secret storehouses without the customs officers seizing I can see how that would make bribing not worth while?

Something doesn't sound quite right either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Cambiaghi
Italy
Villasanta
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sold from secret storehouses without seizing just because we did that only when customs officers was not in that port. Was clear for us that selling from storehouses from a port with a customs officer present results in a seize but we managed to avoid that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, customs should be moving when:

Goods are landed (1 move per every point over the discovery level)
Every time a goods item is sold

Assume you are playing the correctly?

Also, players can also move customs (surprised if you aren't doing that).

Each game I have played (apart from the first two 2p games), customs have seized at least 2 goods and generally been on top of storehouses owned by other players (that have goods in them). While they may not be seizing goods, they are certainly preventing the sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Cambiaghi
Italy
Villasanta
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Christopher, movement of customs officers was also clear for us:

Landing goods: one step for each point of difference between landing risk and good size plus port coefficient (minus influence if any) in the direction of the landing point
Selling goods: one step in the direction of selling point

No one of us moved customs officers, you are right, just because was more profitable to spend resources for our own interests than create problems to the others.

We had situations where the customs officers were on top of storehouses but they can not stay there if someone sells in nearby towns and they are the closest ones.
Consider also that you can spend resources to send away the customs officers and that cost is not so high in terms of gold considering that you don't have to spend any influence to do that and you can do it if you need before a selling.

Edit: let me say that even two goods seized in a full game are few for a game about smuggling, I'm wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fabio wrote:
let me say that even two goods seized in a full game are few for a game about smuggling, I'm wrong?

Not wrong, but I am in slight disagreement on this point. As you say, it is a game about smuggling, so I would expect fewer rather than more goods seized, otherwise it would be a game about customs intervention (and players would be playing customs, with the board being the Smugglers, no)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Cambiaghi
Italy
Villasanta
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, ok. I understand your point. At the end, about the fitting of the theme is just a matter of taste. But. Should I suppose that we are perfect smuggler because we never had a seizing and we scored more than the points available in the box in our first game?
That sounds strange for me but believe me, I read again the full rules yesterday night but I didn't find any error we made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be playing the game correctly. I have not run out of counters, but then I have not yet played with a full compliment of 5 players.

I wonder if the issue about lack of tokens is in part due to the scaling of the game from 4 to 5 players (originally it was a max 4 player game).

I can only speculate that when a 5th player was added, that the number of available rep/gold/inf tokens weren't increased proportionately. This really is a question that can only be answered by the games designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Jasper
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Great to read this discussion and thanks for posting.

Firstly, in terms of the number of REP counters yes, it does seem like I made a minor miscalculation on this (I knew I should've added in some 5 REP counters in there - sorry!).

For the smuggling thematic side of things, from what I have seen it all depends on who is playing the game - some players will be uber.aggressive (giving you many goods seized), other players will see this more from a euro point of view and come to an agreement between themselves about how to best 'manage' Customs.

Essentially, either way that you decide to play the game, from a design point of view Smuggler needed to accommodate both styles of play, but do it in a way where a particularly aggressive start doesn't instantly knock a single player out of the game whilst still being able to accommodate the players who wanted to have that constant back and forth, otherwise the potential for interaction would be diminished.

From the start I've view Cornish Smuggler from a historical modelling point of view, but one where a player's style isn't constrained by the morality of a ruleset - see much of the smuggling that occured in Cornwall was perfectly amicable, but not all of it and if you're after my opinion then I would probably say that opportunism had a fair amount to do with it...this is much of what I've experienced from games of Cornish Smuggler.

Personally, I'm chuffed to bits with Cornish Smuggler and mainly because I feel that these goals have been met - very happy to see this thread=D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.