Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game last night I had a set of 3 orange cards, but the first card in the development line was a ship, which I did not want (I wanted to get a wharf next turn).
So I just discarded my hand doing nothing for the round. Was that legal or would I have had to buy that ship?
(Both the German and the English rules say that during the development phase players "must" form sets of like or different cards, but "must" they use them?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can discard you hand, but here are other options:

1) The best option in that scenario is to elect for another player to sell cards in the Progression Phase before you (assuming you are the Trade Master), and hopefully have them pick the ship leaving the wharf for you.

2) Save some cards in a warehouse, if you have one.

3) Buy the ship anyways - ships/ caravels are super useful to you & to your opponents, so you can at least deny one going to your opponent by selecting it.

Happy Gaming!

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit that the rules that look so easy at first glance seem a little more complicated once you try to play the game. For example, the rules mention fleets, but when and how do you create them? Isn't it always better to have single caravels instead of a larger fleet? Yes, and only once you get to the "Juan Ponce de Leon" you figure out why the rules are worded like that: exactly for that one card in the game, and only that.

Are you able to do both, trade in cards for a development and get doubloons? (Consensus seems to be both, we interpreted the rules differently)

One thing that still is a little ambiguous in the rules: It says that once you achieve the perfect combination, you (might) win the game. But if you were forced to at least either trade in cards for a development or for gold, it would be very hard to keep those cards until the end of the round. Thus I am expecting that having to trade in cards is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.