United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiser Bill: Central Powers
Prince Edward the Evasive: Russia and America
Animalmother: Britain, France, Italy

This game was played with the out-of-box rules, except I did not see that Britain can build land units in India. Oops.

Kaiser Bill opened: He 1) moved all Austro-Hungarians in Illyria and Budapest, Hungary to obliterate Serbia; and 2) sent the pile of Vienna Austro-Hungarians to take Venice.

Prince Edward of Russia countered with a crushing Russian attack with every Russian unit in Poland and Ukraine, and took Galicia.

Kaiser Bill 1) sent an avalanche of Huns to crush France and 2) wiped out (with lucky rolls, missing all mines) the British Home Fleet with no loss to the Hochseeflotte. Ouch.

I frantically built new British naval units and moved French fleet elements northward. Kaiser Bill had not built transports or he might have invaded Scotland. I moved as many French Infantry to northern France as quickly as possible.

1914-1916
I saw a strategic retreat 1914-1916 was necessary. Kaiser Bill soon had a pile of 24 Hun Infantry and 8 Hun Artillery in Belgium, with more on the way. France gave up Picardy, Lorraine, and even Burgundy to avoid battle at bad odds. Italy gave up Venice and Piedmont to avoid battle at bad odds.

1915-1916
In the meantime, evil Austro-Hungarian forces crushed Rumania and invaded Sevastopol in southern Russia. Turkish forces invaded the Caucasus. However, Russia was still in the fight, as Germany had made no progress in Russia other than taking Poland. Russia had prudently avoided battle at unfavorable odds and still had a large army. Russia's army was centrally located and more concentrated than the German, Austro-Hungarian and Turkish armies in Russia.

Nothing happened in Africa, and the British-Ottoman front was quiet because I did not know I could build in India.

In 1917 the British fleet wiped out the Hochseeflotte at the Jade but took enormous losses (bad dice again). Still, one could say the sacrifice of Hochseeflotte was a strategic draw, as the German fleet, by forcing Britain to build warships rather than transports, prevented Britain from transporting Britain's infantry and artillery to the continent.

By 1917, I had enough French force to counterattack the Hun in Burgundy, and enough Italian force to counterattack the Austro-Hungarians in Piedmont. The evil CP forces took heavy losses and in their turns began a retreat.

Germany's Kill France First and Austria-Hungary's Kill Italy First strategies having failed, Kaiser Bill conceded defeat at the end of 1918, with the Americans becoming a factor and Kaiser Bill facing a two-front war.

All agreed the game was quite a lot of fun.

The CP, after initial reluctance to build them, overbuilt fighters. But the primary cause of Kaiser Bill's decline was his imprudent acceptance of battle in Galicia, Burgundy, Piedmont, and the eastern North Sea at unfavorable odds. If he had retreated one territory/sea zone and mustered more forces instead, the war would have been in doubt, as he was slowly grinding down Russia. American forces were entering too slowly to compensate for the loss of Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
May I inquire the playing time with three players? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started set-up at 1:45 pm and ended at 6:45 pm, so, five hours was playing time. Set up was probably 1/2 hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
We started set-up at 1:45 pm and ended at 6:45 pm, so, five hours was playing time. Set up was probably 1/2 hour.

Sounds good, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"When confronted with a 2-front war, hold on one front and attack the other front".

However, imho attacking the France/Italy front is the wrong choise as this leaves the Ottoman Empire very vulnerable to an attack by combined Russian/English forces. Besides this it takes way too much time to conquer Paris and Rome and this gives Russia a chance to push for Berlin.

Eliminating Russia should be the first priority for Germany, AH and Ottoman Empire; this will also generate more income to throw at the other front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.