Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many of the labels on Amazon actually have pnp reviews. This one does not. Does anyone know if they're thick enough to hide whatever text/pattern is underneath? I believe so, but no one specifically says that in the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/OnlineLabels-com%C2%AE-Full-sheet-Ship...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Reading the reviews, it looks like they are actually commenting on 2 different brands of labels. One with scoring on the back & the other without.

I'm going to stick with the Avery ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Markell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you're concerned about the scoring (or lack thereof) on the back, you can order directly from OnlineLabels.com for the same price. They have 5 kinds of full-sheet labels, with the only difference being how the back is scored (or not):

http://www.onlinelabels.com/standard.htm?ShapeID=-2&ExactSiz...

I haven't used them myself, so I can't comment on their thickness, but once you get that information you should be able to get the scoring that suits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, the thickness is really all I'm worried about. If no one can comment on them I may just run with Avery. At the price I could afford to double layer them and still come out ahead though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Markell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Are you in a rush? If not, OnlineLabels.com offers free samples:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

You could get samples of those labels and see if they're thick enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No I'm not. And I completely missed this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Markell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
No problem. Just be sure to report your findings! Full-sheet labels are an important tool in the PnP arsenal; if these are a good alternative to Avery, it would be nice to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kellvyn wrote:
Full-sheet labels are an important tool in the PnP arsenal; if these are a good alternative to Avery, it would be nice to know.

I don't know if you have them in the US, but in the UK I've found Deca-Dry to be pretty good. But this is largely in terms of general quality and printability, I always use bright-white card/board so I've never been bothered by blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First I will say that the price and customer service is awesome. These are down in the cheapest range of labels I could find. I had reservations as a result but as kellvyn pointed out, they offer free samples (with free shipping).

Their customer service department is setup to work quickly and they have not sent me any spam to date. They only sent me two emails. One to say the order was in and another to say the labels had shipped. I received the sample today, two days earlier than estimated at "checkout".

Positives:

1 The labels were just as sharp coming out of the (B&W laser-jet) printer as Avery labels. There is no obvious smearing and the design looks good. The paper continues to hold the ink after handling.

2 They have a variety of scoring options for a full page sheet. I chose the middle split since it's the flagship product. I had no problem getting the sheets to separate.

3 The labels adhere well to paper, cardboard, and plastic.
For the cost, these work very well.

Not-So-Positives:

1 There is almost no distinction between the front and back other than the split. I can see myself putting it in the printer the wrong way.

2 The labels are fairly thin. They look fine over solid colors, but do not hide text or patters. I could use enough to hide anything and still be cheaper than Avery though.

3 They do not have as nice a textured feel as Avery. This is probably due to how thin they are.

tl;dr version: Nice labels but on the thin side.

EDIT: For clarity. Twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
kellvyn wrote:
Full-sheet labels are an important tool in the PnP arsenal; if these are a good alternative to Avery, it would be nice to know.

I don't know if you have them in the US, but in the UK I've found Deca-Dry to be pretty good. But this is largely in terms of general quality and printability, I always use bright-white card/board so I've never been bothered by blocking.

It appears Deca-Dry is only on your side of the pond. Thanks for the tip though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.