Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Restructuring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have not really organized these thoughts prior to making this post, so sorry if I end up rambling a bit at times.



Of all the cards in Second Thoughts, I think Restructure is both the most powerful, and the most likely to significantly shift the meta-game. It is not a card that can merely swap in for whatever Corps are currently doing for economy, the way Daily Casts and Dirty Laundry largely removed Armitage Codebusting from Runner decks when C&C came out. Corps did not reliably hit 10 credits in the past; sure, you would sometimes be cash rich, but over the course of an average game you would often find yourself unable to play a 10-cost card, if you'd had one. Restructure demands a different kind of deck, and a different kind of playstyle, but provides ample rewards for both. The sudden infusion of capital that Hedge Fund provides to Corps is something most players are well aware of; the immediacy and ease of the reward makes it possible to leverage the advantage it provides in a way other economy cards do not. Restructure promises to provide that same tempo advantage, only more so.

Of course, there is also the issue of having a deck that can actually make good use of 15 credits. If you are spending those credits inefficiently, such that you only get, say, 4 credits worth of utility from the extra 5 credits Restructure gave you, then you are functionally playing Hedge Funds 4 to 6, except with greater restrictions on them. That's nothing to sneeze at, but it also is not using the card to its fullest potential.

When a new card of this nature comes out in Magic, deck designers like to look at the card from two angles; what decks which currently exist want this card, and what new decks are possible, that were not possible before, now that this card exists. I think the answer to the first question is fairly obvious; Weyland Tag and Bag loves this card. Restructure is a Transaction, and is thus relatively stronger in Building a Better World than elsewhere, but it is also better there for another reason; Hedge Fund's providing 5 credits, rather than 4, means you can go directly from 5 credits to the 10 necessary for Restructure, without having to take the relatively inefficient "click for a credit" action in between. Not only that, but Weyland can absolutely leverage a large stockpile of credits; if nothing else, it forces the Runner to constantly play with a bank account that they can never spend, for fear of getting Sea Scorched. I do not consider myself especially qualified in regards to Weyland, so I am not going to attempt a decklist, but I would be shocked if the majority of Tag and Baggers did not wind up playing this card.



The second question is the one I find more interesting, and more able to talk about intelligently. If we are going to build around Restructure, we want to take advantage of every aspect of the card; we want to reliably play it, we want to make good use of the credits we receive from it, and we want to make good use of the influence it provides us by being a neutral economy card. The first faction which comes to my mind here is Jinteki; the faction has very few strong cards in the ICE and economy departments, so freeing up influence to spend on better ICE is of great value. Not only that, but one of Jinteki's few economy cards, Celebrity Gift, immediately brings you up to 10 credits; a turn of Gift, Restructure is extremely explosive. We can also make good use of Restructure's magnitude by getting a lot of cash out of relatively few economy cards, meaning more room for cards that do not fit into the ICE, Economy, or Agenda categories.


I normally prefer to test a deck before posting a list, however Second Thoughts is unavailable both on OCTGN and at my FLGS, so I will have to make due for now. Just keep in mind that this is a first draft, and the numbers likely need quite a bit of work.


Restructured Jinteki (49 cards)

Jinteki: Personal Evolution

Agenda (10)
3 Braintrust
1 False Lead
3 Fetal AI
2 Nisei MK II
1 Priority Requisition

Asset (3)
3 Snare!

Upgrade (4)
1 Ash 2X3ZB9CY
3 Hokusai Grid

Operation (15)
3 Celebrity Gift
2 Green Level Clearance
3 Hedge Fund
3 Neural EMP
3 Restructure
1 Scorched Earth

Barrier (7)
1 Bastion
1 Eli 1.0
2 Ice Wall
1 Wall of Static
2 Wall of Thorns


Code Gate (3)
3 Datapike

Sentry (6)
2 Ichi 1.0
3 Neural Katana
1 Swordsman

ICE (1)
1 Chimera


This deck uses the Hollisian idea of work compression, however it does not do it in a way that ignores credits, as previous iterations have. With this economy set-up, I think you are much more capable of fighting an economic war with the Runner, especially since you only need to be ahead for one turn each time you want to score an agenda. Not only that, but it makes more use of cards like Hokusai and Fetal, which have economy-war effects on them already. Those cards are better used in a deck that pressures the runner's bank account than one which only pressures their hand, because now the 4 credits to trash Hokusai, or the 2 credits to steal Fetal, are resources the Runner really cares about.




Ichi is a card that I've always wanted to try in Jinteki, but have never had room for, both because at 5 it is rather expensive, and because 2 influence a pop is awfully difficult when you require Out-of-Faction economy. With Restructure, we have both the cash to pay for Ichi, and the influence to include it in our deck. The reason I want it in Jinteki is three-fold; first, by its very nature Jinteki pressures the runner to play out her breakers; discarding them to net damage can seriously hamper you for the remainder the of game, particularly when you lose your only copy of a card. This means your Ichis will be "turned on" faster than they might be elsewhere. Second, the trace on Ichi is actually quite scary, especially if you have a Restructure-fuelled economy lead, in Jinteki. There is significant pressure to break the trace subroutine along with the trash subroutines, pressure which simply does not exist when Ichi is played in HB. Finally, if the Runner clicks through your Ichi, then that means they may not have clicks left over to draw up and tag shake after hitting a Snare!, opening them up to Scorched and/or EMP kills.


I have more thoughts on the deck, but I imagine those will come out in the comments, should people have questions. I am eager to try it out to see what works and what doesn't, and hopefully tinker from there. Help me, Db0-Kenobi, you're my only hope.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Restructuring is definitely an auto-include in Building A Better World and GRNDL, and a very good contender for other ID's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can definintely see this in Jinteki.

But why Ash? Don't get me wrong, I love Ash, but I'm not sure why you want one in this deck over other nice options (like Cerebral Overwriter or other punishing cards).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Yeah, I can definintely see this in Jinteki.

But why Ash? Don't get me wrong, I love Ash, but I'm not sure why you want one in this deck over other nice options (like Cerebral Overwriter or other punishing cards).


I think it fits beautifully with the idea of work compression; Ash forces them to run through your Ichi or your Wall of Thorns twice, in addition to spending an extra click, which is going to hinder their ability to steal a Fetal without dying. Not only that, but it is cute with Hokusai Grid; you can make it appear as though an Asset is in a server by putting them together, and if they don't beat your Ash trace, then Hokusai hits them, but is not trashable, which means they will have to take net damage again the next time they run that server. I haven't actually tried it out, but it felt promising enough that it was worth experimenting with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for Sundew and NAPD Contract, then I want to build this deck in RP with Successful Demonstration.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For Weyland Core being able to go from 1C to 16C in one turn and 3 clicks is pretty impressive recovery (If you have Beanstalk+Hedge+Restructure). And as you say with Celebrity Gift its pretty effective too. It might work well with Melange, if you use the melange to get up to 8C+, then the runner spends a turn trashing your melange, and you restructure to 15C.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Suied
msg tools
mb
I've been brewing something similar, only with clone retirement, grim, archer and midori to just swap in some program trashing ice. Interested to see how the deck pans out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
running_bear wrote:

Ichi is a card that I've always wanted to try in Jinteki, but have never had room for, both because at 5 it is rather expensive, and because 2 influence a pop is awfully difficult when you require Out-of-Faction economy. With Restructure, we have both the cash to pay for Ichi, and the influence to include it in our deck. The reason I want it in Jinteki is three-fold; first, by its very nature Jinteki pressures the runner to play out her breakers; discarding them to net damage can seriously hamper you for the remainder the of game, particularly when you lose your only copy of a card. This means your Ichis will be "turned on" faster than they might be elsewhere. Second, the trace on Ichi is actually quite scary, especially if you have a Restructure-fuelled economy lead, in Jinteki. There is significant pressure to break the trace subroutine along with the trash subroutines, pressure which simply does not exist when Ichi is played in HB. Finally, if the Runner clicks through your Ichi, then that means they may not have clicks left over to draw up and tag shake after hitting a Snare!, opening them up to Scorched and/or EMP kills.


I have had good returns on using Ichi in a Jinteki deck. It definitely suits the playstyle of both PE and RP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I happily replaced Succ Demo with Restructuring in my Weyland deck ( much more solid, 2 influence to spend somewhere else ) , but I'm not planning to use it in other decks so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
I build my list with the assumption the runner knows what I have, and this makes me think anything advanced is going to be an agenda. But then between operation cash and Ash means you can leverage that money in the ice and trace to keep them from stealing something under Ash. With Houksai to add an extra sting. And since nothing is being advanced sitting on the field don't need to bother with ToL.

I should try and put in that 3rd Celeb Gift though. My other econ was considering 2 asset ones. Pads were working for me, and I think Sundew will pull that same weight when it comes out, but Melange just has better burst comparatively. Since I have asset traps, I feel the need to have more things to bluff with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Not including Jackson Howard in the Jinteki deck? He seems to have good synergy with what you have posted.

Maybe I'm not counting right but you seem way below influence limit. Also, I'd absolutely drop False Lead for a single Clone Retirement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
OddCrow19 wrote:
Not including Jackson Howard in the Jinteki deck? He seems to have good synergy with what you have posted.

Maybe I'm not counting right but you seem way below influence limit. Also, I'd absolutely drop False Lead for a single Clone Retirement.


2 Ice wall
4 SE
2 Ash
2 GLC
4 Ichi
1 Eli
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
AsteriskCGY wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:
Not including Jackson Howard in the Jinteki deck? He seems to have good synergy with what you have posted.

Maybe I'm not counting right but you seem way below influence limit. Also, I'd absolutely drop False Lead for a single Clone Retirement.


2 Ice wall
4 SE
2 Ash
2 GLC
4 Ichi
1 Eli


Holy shit I'm so blind I didn't even see the massive ICHI card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figure Hedge/Gift/Restructure is the default starting econ package for Jinteki now. And Beanstalk/Green Level are also likely splashes to get up to $3 for Gift.

I think Jackson fits the Gift plan pretty well, as you can overdraw and dump some of the Gift-revealed cards back to R&D. And of course the econ ops can be reshuffled, too.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
dangerouslycheesy wrote:
Yeah, I figure Hedge/Gift/Restructure is the default starting econ package for Jinteki now. And Beanstalk/Green Level are also likely splashes to get up to $3 for Gift.

I think Jackson fits the Gift plan pretty well, as you can overdraw and dump some of the Gift-revealed cards back to R&D. And of course the econ ops can be reshuffled, too.




Course now my problem is I don't have enough room for all my pretty traps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
This might be a little off topic, I would just like to point out that Red Herring is an option over Ash. Ash combos with Hokusai Grid, and Red Herring combos with Fetal AI. I feel like the Red Herring Combo is better, but I haven't actually tested either one. The advantages that stick out to me are when it hits it deals 2 damage instead of one, one cheaper to rez and the combo is easier to set up because only one upgrade is required instead of two. The disadvantages are it doesn't protect cards other than agendas in the server and it is two cheaper to trash.

A lightly iced remote with Red Herring and Fetal AI is just beastly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.