Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Making a game table cover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda Meeks
msg tools
I want to get my husband a game table cover for Christmas, but I'm not finding anything in a size that suits our dining room table. We've been using felt, which has worked fine and held up well for us, but it would be nice to have a non slip backing (I also considered baize, but it's not very readily available).
My idea is to attach a non slip rug pad (something like http://amzn.com/B003UV3FJ4?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20) to felt and then bind the edges, but I'm wondering if it would create a good gaming surface or not be very smooth. Anyone tried something like this? Any other suggestions? I need to keep it economical and would like to be able to roll or fold for storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
what size is the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually use a non-slip mat for my gaming surface - without felt. I love the non-slip surface for holding boards (especially multi-part boards such as Arkham Horror and Belfort). It's great for card games where you lay out a tableau or have to pick up cards - awesome in fact unless you are trying to do that flashy deal where you slide the card across the table. The mat I use isn't quite the same as yours, which I think is supposed to be a little more hard-wearing. I use stuff similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/NON-SLIP-GRIP-GRIPPER-MAT/dp/B00780J...

Your design isn't a million miles away from the "mouse-mat material" gaming table covers that I've seen from some US suppliers (Boards and Bits for one). UndeadViking reviews this sort of thing here /video/3852/outside-the-scope-of-bgg/avraw-46-boards-bits-pr....

Another source of similar material is http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Meeks
msg tools
Thanks! I had looked at the mats on boards & bits. I think we'd really like the surface based on his review, but unfortunately they're out of stock of all but one size/color. I might email them & seen if they'll have more in soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Meeks
msg tools
Oh, and we have a new dining room table coming, all the more reason for a new cover. I'm not 100% on the dimensions since we don't have it yet, but I think I'll want a mat around 40x60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I made for one of my tables:

This is a sheet MDF (medium density fibreboard) cut in a circle to fit the tabletop. The backing is a non-slip material and the top is green felt. Perfect for gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Adams
United States
Pine Bluff
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game club uses a high density foam, was cheap, bought it from a poker table supplier. I then went to the local goodwill and bought an ugly green table cloth that fit the table we use. I then screwed some flat metal plates to the underside of the table and bought some molybdenum magnets on ebay, like $10 for 50 of them (something like that), we use the magnets to hold the table cloth to the table, this works really well (does have to be adjusted ever so often, about once a month or so). I do not have pictures of this but I could make them if any is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

gamerwife753 wrote:
Thanks! I had looked at the mats on boards & bits. I think we'd really like the surface based on his review, but unfortunately they're out of stock of all but one size/color. I might email them & seen if they'll have more in soon.

I hope you have not bought anything from B&B yet, there is an issue with that company since a couple of months ago. Search the B&B forum for threads related to it, there are plenty.

LG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.