Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've posted an example play of my game Odd, and I thought I'd share here for those interested. This is one of my favorites among my own designs. It's also the simplest game, rules-wise, I've designed.

See example play and notes about the game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused as to what is odd about it. I could see including even or odd with the name, but not odd alone.

What I had been thinking, before I fully looked over it, was that the game involved forming groups that are odd size in number at all times. One is not permitted to have a group be even in size at the end of their turn.

Maybe there is a game in there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
I am confused as to what is odd about it. I could see including even or odd with the name, but not odd alone.

What I had been thinking, before I fully looked over it, was that the game involved forming groups that are odd size in number at all times. One is not permitted to have a group be even in size at the end of their turn.

Maybe there is a game in there somewhere.

OddandEven is a bit awkward, so I went with Odd. I know it's not the greatest name in the world. It's good it doesn't last very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
milomilo122 wrote:
OddandEven is a bit awkward, so I went with Odd. I know it's not the greatest name in the world. It's good it doesn't last very long.

Eden?

Primal simplicity... Emergence of a fundamental dichotomy... (And, come to think of it, didn't last very long either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with Odd! I like it. No name is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game. It reminds me a bit of dots and boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tckoppang wrote:
Stick with Odd! I like it. No name is perfect.

Absolutely. I was merely - 'ow you say? - farting around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mocko wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

Eden?

Primal simplicity... Emergence of a fundamental dichotomy... (And, come to think of it, didn't last very long either.)

How about Oden? :-)

If it is going to be odd, I believe it would benefit from having some weird rule in there. I did this with Even Odder. The game has a final win condition where you pick even or odd. The conflicting win conditions make it odd. I was going for weird with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Since almost every one focuses on the name (a very good name imo.) let me point out that Odd is one of those rare games where object and mechanism are so intrinsically linked as to be self explanatory. For the few who feel that ideally an inventor should watch a game explain itself without actually intervening in the process, this is a reassuring example: it still happens, occasionally, and Odd is every bit as interesting as its descendants, while fundamentally simpler and unlikely to be exhaustible any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
Since almost every one focuses on the name (a very good name imo.) let me point out that Odd is one of those rare games where object and mechanism are so intrinsically linked as to be self explanatory. For the few who feel that ideally an inventor should watch a game explain itself without actually intervening in the process, this is a reassuring example: it still happens, occasionally, and Odd is every bit as interesting as its descendants, while fundamentally simpler and unlikely to be exhaustible any time soon.

Thanks Christian. This made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Eden and Oden, but I think I'm gonna keep it as is. Too lazy, no incentive to make the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.