Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunatly, I need to wake up at least once or twice per night since I can never get a full sleep. When I woke up and went to the bathroom, my mind thought somehow about an elder sign variant and I just got back to sleep Only to remember this variant a few days afterwards.

When I saw arkham express, I Liked the dice rolling idea where the more you push your luck searching for items and clues, the more likely you are going to make an ancounter. Most express dice system consist in locking at least 1 results per turn and rolling the rest until all dice are kept.

Elder Sign seem to do the job differently which has it's pros and cons. There is some dice locking, but only once per character. Failing a roll make you lose a dice instead of forcing a die to be locked. One of the things I found un-thematic is the need to roll tentacles or skulls to complete certain tasks, I would have expected those to be bad events that happens to you a bit like Arkham Express.

--------------------------------------------------

So I came up with a quick idea which could work on not. I just want to gather comments and advices. The idea is simple:

Every time a failed roll would make you discard a die, the face of the die you discard matters. If you have at least a skull or a tentacle in your roll, you must keep one of those dice. At the end of the step if you succeed or not, the following results occurs for the discarded dice accumulated.

Terror: The number of tentacles - 1 is the nb of sanity you lose.
Skull: The number of skulls - 1 is the nb of stamina you lose.
Scroll: You get an item or a spell (maybe the player can chose)
Clue: For each different number you have, you get a clue token. (So if you have 1-2-3, you get 3 clue tokens, 2-2-3 would give you 2 tokens)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to see the impact if could have on the game. One of the impact is to avoid the paper weight syndrome where a character that flushed all his resources needs to complete a quest to get new resources. But if all his resources are flushed, he has little chances to succeed a quest.

The expansion seems to fix this issue by making the lost and found more useful, but the rule above would occur for each quest, so no need to lose a turn filling up your resources. It also seems to be self balanced since the mechanic can give you both positive and negative effects.

I have not made some rolling tests (since I do not have the game yet), so the rules above are pure improvisation. The mechanism seems interesting, I would just need to verify the odds.

Does it looks interesting?

Does it conflict other rules?

Do you have suggestions or some variations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
One of the things I found un-thematic is the need to roll tentacles or skulls to complete certain tasks, I would have expected those to be bad events that happens to you a bit like Arkham Express.

For tentacles, they often ARE bad events that happen to you: Terror results.
For skulls, they represent you successfully braving perilous situations to achieve your goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For tentacles, they often ARE bad events that happen to you: Terror results.
For skulls, they represent you successfully braving perilous situations to achieve your goals.

If I remember correctly, some task requires to roll "tentacles" to succeed.

Even monsters requires terror rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're plunging yourself into terrifying situations. Sometimes, it's necessary. That's much more risky - in a Lovecraft-influenced setting - than mere physical danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.