Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Issue an order to a number of mounted units and/or leaders less than or equal to Command."

I assume that when a Leader is ordered with this card, the foot unit he may be attached to is ordered too, since the card text does not say "lone" or "unattached" Leader. Therefore, with this card, a player could theoretically order (with five cards in hand) three Leaders with attached foot units and two cavalry units.

Please confirm if I have this correct. The "mounted" subject is making me wonder whether you can, indeed, use this card to order Leaders with attached foot units.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is right. The way I've always played it is that you can use this card to order the leader alone to move - he's on a horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This card allows you to order cavalry units and/or leaders themselves. If you order a unit with an attached leader, the leader gets to move along for free. If you order the leader, only the leader can move. So, no, this card would not allow infantry units with attached leaders to move and battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what is being said:

If a unit is ordered any attached leader is dragged along for the ride.

Certain circumstances allow a leader to detach from a unit.

(Lone) Leaders may be ordered by various cards.

-------------------

Nowhere is it allowed to order a leader and have him drag a unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, this all sounds logical. But I'm really surprised, with all multiple accumulated FAQ's, that it isn't more clear. I felt that when you activated a Leader, you also activated his unit, whether foot or mounted.

I suppose it should say, "Only mounted units need apply."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says "Order Mounted."

It shows a silhouette of every mounted type in the game, plus the helmet sign that signifies the card can be used to detach leaders.

Possibly the question hasn't shown up in any FAQs because it hasn't been asked before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:

And that's exactly what it does say. You've answered your own question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to belabor the point, but the rulebook goes to pains to distinguish leaders from units, to distinguish attached and unattached leaders, to explain how leaders can be detached and move alone, and even to specify (apart from the iconography on the cards) which sorts of cards allow the detachment of leaders, so this case does seem black-letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook also explains how Order Mounted card is implemented.

"When a Section Command card, the ‘Order Mounted Troops’ Command card or the ‘I am Spartacus’ Command card is played, a leader in the same hex as a unit may be ordered to detach from the unit and move by himself. It costs one order for each attached leader that is detached from its unit and moved separately, and the unit itself is not considered ordered (but could be ordered by spending another command). The remaining orders on the Command card may be used to order units (including the one from which a leader was detached), or unattached leaders. Section Command cards, plus the ‘Order Mounted Troops’ and the ‘I am Spartacus’ Command cards have a helmet symbol to remind players that one or more attached leaders may be ordered to move separately when playing these cards."
http://www.ccancients.net/Rules/Base-Game/07-order-units-and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
Obviously, this all sounds logical. But I'm really surprised, with all multiple accumulated FAQ's, that it isn't more clear. I felt that when you activated a Leader, you also activated his unit, whether foot or mounted.

This has been very thoroughly answered but at the risk of simply rephrasing everything that has already been said, I just wanted to specifically address what might be a basic misunderstanding here.

Ordering of a unit or leader never orders a leader or unit attached to it. A leader will be moved with an ordered unit to which it is attached (the leader itself is technically not ordered/activated, it is just carried along) but a unit is not carried along by an ordered leader to which it is attached.

Section cards, I Am Spartacus and Order Mounted all have a helmet symbol, which indicates that a leader attached to a unit may be ordered, detached and moved independently.....the unit itself would require an additional order if it were to be moved or combat separately. In addition to detaching leaders, these specific cards also allow a lone leader to be ordered.

This is what the wording on Order Mounted Troops means.....it functions in all respects like a section card except that it only orders mounted units or leaders (which may be lone or detached) anywhere on the board.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

Possibly the question hasn't shown up in any FAQs because it hasn't been asked before.

Precisely. It's a frequently unasked question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
kduke wrote:

Precisely. It's a frequently unasked question.

Haw!! Congratulations Nate! You get the George Orwell Newspeak award for "frequently unasked." You're prize is a 1.00 gold tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.