Hide
6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First TI3 game, all newbies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel R
msg tools
First off, I'll just say, we enjoyed ourselves a lot, and I just wanted to share our first game. I regret not taking any photos.

We played with all expansion races (we randomly picked), techs, distant suns, frontiers, artifacts, SE strategy cards. It was a 3 player game (our 4th failed to show), with Fed of Sol, L1Z1X, and Ghosts of Creuss. The humans, had this terrible corner of space with very few planets, while the L1Z1X and ghosts had many rich planets to exploit.

The one advantage the humans did end up with, was 2 artifacts on the planets in their region of space. And after a quick raid on the ghosts (had a prelim. objective to attack another player) they found themselves in a very weak position. Their fleets were decimated, and the ghosts and the L1Z1X were amassing huge fleets of dreadnaughts. It looked like it would come down to the L1Z1X and the Ghosts battling over the revealed objectives. The humans were in the lead thanks to their artifacts, but if they lost even 1, the L1Z1X would be even with them. With 2 armies poised to snatch their lead from they, they did the only thing they could; play the bureaucracy card. The game over card came up and he placed it, ending the game, and winning it by the skin of his teeth.

While it ended anticlimactically, it was still fun. We actually like the fact that it ended the way it did. The underdog won, despite the deck being stacked against him. I was playing the L1Z1X, and would have taken an artifact and an objective by the end of that turn, securing victory for me, had he not ended it.

We came to the conclusion that this is not a game to play with sore losers due to situations like how ours ended, or "slow" individuals as the number of rules might simply overwhelm them into inaction (it's not fun to feel overwhelmed and get beaten because you literally don't understand what you can do).

Over all was a good game, we plan on playing again! Thanks for reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly can be fun as well. I was set to win by a huge margin, I had all my forces circling Mecatol Rex wrapping up a sure win. Someone drew a political card, I think it was "Artifact". Which if activated has a 50% chance of destroying all forces around Mecatol Rex. I'd already spent all my resources. It of course was voted for activation, the dice roll came and booom! I was out. That was an awesome sudden end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
A popular variant rule on the old TI3 Wiki was "Delayed Imperium Rex"; when Imperium Rex is drawn, the game will end at the very end of the round in which it was drawn, if no-one wins in the relevant Status Phase. This leads to a bit of sudden-death overtime over the Artifacts, but more importantly it tends otherwise to be the case that almost all the gameplay on the final round was irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bowser
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just play without the Imperium Rex card. The only way the game ends is by someone getting to the required number of victory points. Now my group doesn't mind if the game takes 8 hours. The game can still end suddenly when someone manages to get 5 VPs in one round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel R
msg tools
I think we'll continue playing with the Imperium Rex card. It adds a bit of extra tension to later rounds, because the game could end at any moment, so you have to focus on getting those VP now instead of later. That said, we might pull up the variant, that the Imperium Rex game over doesn't take effect until after the qualify for objectives portion of the Status Phase. You get the same sudden end, with out invalidating the rest of everyone's actions during that round.

I suppose if left as is, and you know you're going to score some objectives this round, it makes the Bureaucracy card extra attractive. As it will allow you to insure that if the Imperium Rex card is one of the next 2 objectives, you can make sure it's not played until you're ready.

As for our game, the way we looked at it was as follows; The humans were the rightful rulers from the beginning, and we were trying to secure ourselves before they were declared as such. And so the humans delayed our war machines just long enough for the galactic senate to get it's act together. And so they won through the power of bureaucracy rather then dreadnaughts. A satisfying end in our opinion.

I'm really looking forward to the next game, and I already have more people lined up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.