Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I just ordered the game (and the Romulan expansion...ouch! Hope it's worth it!) after studying the rules, taking notes, etc. A couple things weren't clear to me from the rules. If someone could shed any light on these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

CLOAKING--Most of my questions have to do with this topic.
Say I cloak one ship (call it A) with Engine Level 5 and subsequently create a Sensor Echo.
I then cloak a second ship B with Engine Level 10 and subsequently create another Sensor Echo.
1. Can each Sensor Echo now move with Engine Level 10?
2. If I de-cloak ship A, does its Sensor Echo start moving 1 space at a time or can it still move as fast as Engine Level 10? If the former, can it only start moving normally again if and when the first ship re-cloaks?
3. What’s the point of leaving the Sensor Echo on the board anyway after a de-cloak?
4. If I re-cloak the first ship A, can I create a third Sensor Echo? Or must the number of Sensor Echoes never exceed the number of cloaked ships?
5. What if I don’t re-cloak the first ship but cloak a third ship C? Can I then create a third Sensor Echo?

DESTROYING AN INSTALLATION
The example on page 19 says that a Level 12 Weapons Test can destroy a Level 15 Shields Test with a roll of 3. I thought the Weapons test had to be greater than the Shields test to succeed in an attack. Are Installation Attacks an exception to the rule or was this an error?

SCANNING A CLOAKING TOKEN
What exactly does it mean on Page 21 when it says, “If the Cloak Token matches a cloaked enemy ship that ship immediately de-cloaks. The Scanning Ship may now take a second Action this turn (this action still counts against your three Action limit for the turn).” It's the second sentence I find confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A1 : Yes, they can.

"A Sensor Echo can move on the board just like a ship. The Sensor Echo Token can move with the Engines Power Level of any of your currently
cloaked ships. It may move independently of any of your actual ships. You may never move any Sensor Echo faster than the fastest cloaked
ship you control. This movement cannot be modified by any cards or abilities (since it isn’t really there)." - page 16

A2 : 1st Echo of A can move by using Engine Level from B. If you have no ship clocked, then Echo can move only 1 adjacent tile.

"Sensor Echoes remain on the board if the ship that created them de-cloaks, even if there are now more echoes than cloaked ships, or no cloaked ships at all. If you have no cloaked ships, your Sensor Echoes can only move to one adjacent location each turn (as if they had only one movement point). Remember that only cloaked
ships can create new Sensor Echoes." - page 16

A3 : To confuse enemy later perhaps? Let's say you move three Echo to one single area with a real ship and clock it. This could make a very good distraction, right? : )

A4 : Yes and no. According to the rule as stated below...
- If you have clocked A and B, and 1 echo of A (or B, C, D...). Then A or B can create another Echo.
- If you have clocked A and B, and 2 echo of A (or B, C, D...). Then A or B can not create another Echo.

"You can only add one Sensor Echo Token for each cloaked ship you control." - page 16

A5 : Yes, you can. Using the same rule as above answer.
- So, clocked A, B, and C, and 2 Echo. Then A, B, or C can create another Echo (It is possible that all Echo may come from one ship only).

Remember you only check the limit of Echo when adding the new one. So, it is possible to have 5 Echo with all ships declocked later. (But this mean that there is a time when 5 ships were clocked when you add the 5th Echo in the past)

Edit : Add bold and color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A. DESTROYING AN INSTALLATION:

The example is correct, usually every test only require the result to be equal or more.

"If you attack an installation (yours or your opponents), you must make a successful Weapons Test with a Level equal to the installation’s Shields value." - Page 19

"If the total of the die roll and the System Rating is higher than or equal to the Test Level, you succeed." - Page 7

The only exception is that when you test against other player ship, which require the result to be exceed only.

" The results of both tests are compared. If the active player has a higher total, he succeeds at the test. If the target’s total is higher, or if the results are equal, the test fails." - Page 9

A. SCANNING A CLOAKING TOKEN :

Hmmm, I think there is a mistake there. Nothing is important actually.
Basically they just want to say that you can do whatever action you want after that (if you still have action left (maximum 3)).

Enjoy gaming! : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has been playing it where the ship does indeed get to take a second action if it successfully scans a cloaked ship, as long as you have actions remaining.

The consensus in the group was that this is the only way you really have a chance of attacking a cloaked ship with only one ship in the area. Otherwise the other ship will just cloak again on it's turn.

The rule debate about cloaking we still haven't come to a consensus on involves the new emergency cloaking rule added in the Romulan expansion and break away. If you start your move in the same space as an opponents ship, if you spend your first 5 movement points to emergency cloak does that instigate a break away test? I mean you're not doing a cloak action, your technically doing a move, so I figured since it's a move action and your spending movement points in an opponents space it would start a break away test, however my gaming group is split 50/50 on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
My group has been playing it where the ship does indeed get to take a second action if it successfully scans a cloaked ship, as long as you have actions remaining.
The consensus in the group was that this is the only way you really have a chance of attacking a cloaked ship with only one ship in the area. Otherwise the other ship will just cloak again on it's turn.

Oh, I get it now! The SHIP gets to take a second action as normally ships get only one action each up to a 3-action maximum. I was hearing this in my head as "The PLAYER gets to take a second action as long as..." That's what didn't make sense to me. I wasn't reading the words! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Sputnik Monroe wrote:

Oh, I get it now! The SHIP gets to take a second action as normally ships get only one action each up to a 3-action maximum. I was hearing this in my head as "The PLAYER gets to take a second action as long as..." That's what didn't make sense to me. I wasn't reading the words!

I thought the rule was that the ship could immediately take a COMBAT action if they successfully pull a ship out of cloak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Rules, page 21:

• If the Cloak Token matches a cloaked enemy ship that ship immediately de-cloaks. The Scanning Ship may now take a second Action this turn (this action still counts against your three Action limit for the turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.