Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 20 scenarios now, mostly single player with 2 or 3 characters (Only a few with 2 other friends, 1 character each).

The first thing I'll say is that this game is definitely better with friends, than solo. Some of the choices and card grabs that come into play with other players adds a level of gameplay that is missing with solo play. For this reason, if you are going to judge this game, I think it only fair it's judged off multiplayer, not solo games.

All in all, it's the basic and proven character advancement mechanic that makes this game appealing. Yes it gets addictive levelling up, especially when the trades happen between plays (During or after the scenario) or certain people demand to go after a certain location because it has the most of the card type they are chasing for instance.

The various characters also play extremely different, which is a plus in my books, as it creates that personal replay value.

Ok, now what I'm not liking. After awhile it becomes a very roll these dice type game. Does the flavour of beat the ogre or zombie really matter? Yes and no. The effects on the card for fail and win change depending on character/creature, however to beat a monster etc always just comes down to generating dice. I'm at a point now, where the thematic difference of the creature I'm trying to defeat is irrelevant. It's just about being able to generate the appropriate dice pool.

In fairness RPG's from a tactical sense have all headed that way, however the flair of story does a great job of actually hiding that. Pathfinder the card game doesn't deliver the RPG story quite so well to help hide the dice rolling imho.

The character and pseudo level advancement (Both in challenge with new deck releases and mechanics) in this game really work, but the RPG/Adventure side does not seem to deliver longer term.

I think this is a great game, but the formula still needs some work to deliver the same wow factor D&D delivered back in the day when I first discovered it. Yes this is a card game, but it is attempting to plug the void for RPG fans that don't have the time or DM to play.

Anyway I'll give solo a 7/10 and Multi an 8/10 on enjoyment level.

I know some people are really loving or hating this game, please don't hesitate to share your opinions of difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I'm an enormous fan of this game, and would shout its praise from the rooftops if it didn't get me arrested, I can't disagree with your assessment of the merits of game. I feel them more or less strongly in places, but largely what you say is true.

However...
Bearhug78 wrote:
For this reason, if you are going to judge this game, I think it only fair it's judged off multiplayer, not solo games.

I feel this is in error. There are many people that are buying this game entirely for solo play, and it's meant to be played that way as much as any other (i.e. solo is not a variant here, like in other games). If you buy the game for solo play, and play it for that, rate it for that... just as if you're considering buying the game for solo play, you're really going to want to see the solo ratings and commentary more than anything else, so it's just as useful for them. If we had a ratings per player number, that'd be different; but, we don't.

Even the rules suggest playing with two characters if you're going to play solo, which provides you some of that decision making element. I didn't really want to play with two characters, but Lem getting through AP2 by himself may be a bit tricky; but, I digress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 100%.
I enjoy the game, and feel addicted by it, especially the level up, and the "lets see what loot I gain this scenario" thing, but I agree that, a of now, wether you're fighting a goblin or spider, or a skeleton, all you need to know is that COMBAT value.

Though, my guess is that, as future adventure packs come, we'll see more variety, both in banes and boons.

Is this wishful thinking? indeed it is.
Will I wait and see? of course I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the fun I have (and have seen others post) is not just "rolling dice for a COM 8 check" but rather laughing when the Bunyip comes up in the General Store, or when it seems ALL of the monsters coming out are Zombies or Goblins or ... Thus finding some thematic story value (zombies are attacking sandpoint), or creating one that doesn't exist (Bunyip is holding his breath for a really long time or has been enchanted).

I agree that in the end it is flipping a card and dice rolling to make that check, but for some reason I am not tired of that after many plays (25+ solo, testing custom characters, different multiplayer groups). And I haven't even started AP2 yet in any of those sessions. The character progression and excitement of picking up the Deathbane and being able to whoop a skeleton even with the +3 disadvantage just makes me happy.

When I play Caylus, it's basically the same concept over and over each turn as well - maximizing my resource gain, favor strategy, victory points, etc. but those are just the mechanics of games to me, as is the card-flipping & dice rolling of PACG.

Maybe I'm just an unknown closet RPG gamer (only played D&D once or twice and very minor at that).

EDIT: I don't have many games in my collection I have played as frequently (or certainly as recently!) as PACG. It has quickly become my favorite in a very short amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deekow wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
For this reason, if you are going to judge this game, I think it only fair it's judged off multiplayer, not solo games.

I feel this is in error. There are many people that are buying this game entirely for solo play, and it's meant to be played that way as much as any other (i.e. solo is not a variant here, like in other games).

Yeah, if I had more people I'd just play D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vsevolod Vodonenko
msg tools
Played it for the first time yesterday, with a group of friends that have never played Pen & Paper RPGs. One of them is completely against it, and I'm trying to start up a Pathfinder game with the other two.

In the end, we lost our scenario since a few of us explored closed locations for extra loot a few too many times, and it came down to making a difficulty 10 Combat check on 3d4, then lucking out and drawing the villain, and trying to make another Combat check of 10 on 3d4.

Despite the fact that we lost, and it took us a while to figure it out (in my excitement to play the game I didn't real the rules ahead of time) everyone is really looking forward to playing it again, and advancing their characters. The fact there's so many different characters with different interactions makes me think we're gonna be able to enjoy it for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dib
msg tools
Quote:
Even the rules suggest playing with two characters if you're going to play solo, which provides you some of that decision making element. I didn't really want to play with two characters, but Lem getting through AP2 by himself may be a bit tricky; but, I digress.

I'm playing it solo with a party of four characters, which seems to me to be more or less optimal for solo play. More would be too complicated; fewer, and it doesn't feel like a proper party of adventurers, and there's less scope for interaction. But, as with all things, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Vsev88 wrote:
In the end, we lost our scenario since a few of us explored closed locations for extra loot a few too many times,

Normally there are no cards left in closed locations so you shouldn't be doing this.

Can't be arsed to quote from the rules, but it does say that when you close a location after defeating a henchman or the villain that you remove all the cards from that location.
There are a couple of exceptions though so just read the location cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.