Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be looking to buy a 10" tablet soon, ideally for playing games, reading books, watching movies.

I've read the reviews. I'm a web developer with some experience in mobile so I know the hardware differences.

I'm looking for anyone with such tablets for their personal experiences finding apps for each. I have an iPad 1, so I can see all the apps that I can't use (iOS version on iPad 1 is too old), but I'd like to know some of the small gotchas I might not see in reviews.

A big plus in the iPad column are the board game offerings. Does anyone see a shift over to Android happening anytime soon?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play boardgames on your device then you should go with an iPad. That's where the majority of board game apps are being released and there's nothing to indicate that that's going to change in the short term future, i.e. the next two to three years. Certainly not for the games that are currently being developed. I suspect it will stay with iPad for longer than that... but you never know what will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin T.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I switched from an iPad2 to a Nexus 7 last year thinking that the two platforms were reaching some kind of parity soon and it was a terrible decision. It does not seem like we will see a sea-change anytime soon.

You cannot beat the games availability and frankly the performance of iPads at this point (it seems like developer spend more time optimizing their iOS versions than their Android versions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read books and watch movies on all devices equally well. If you want to do some serious work, I would definitely go for the Nexus. If your primary purpose is gaming, as people said, iPad is probably the way to go, at least for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin T.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would say about the iPad is that the 30 Pin/Lightening chargers are a pain, especially if you are not heavily invested in the iOS environment. There is something to be said about being able to charge your device off of a standard micro USB.

@Pieter- I found it interesting that you mentioned that the Nexus is a better device for work. Why do you think that is the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
A big plus in the iPad column are the board game offerings. Does anyone see a shift over to Android happening anytime soon?

No. The developers are on iOS because that's where the money is. Android has gotten its market share by being cheap, and users who buy based on price don't want to spend money on apps. Per-user revenue on iOS is many times higher, so that's where the developers focus.

Exavier126 wrote:
You cannot beat the games availability and frankly the performance of iPads at this point (it seems like developer spend more time optimizing their iOS versions than their Android versions).

It's not just app developers. There's fundamental OS design decisions, namely ARC vs garbage collection, that affect OS responsiveness, and Apple has put a lot of effort into ensuring that the animation APIs provide a smooth experience. It's just plain easier to write a app that feels great on iOS, so people do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin T.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the fragmentation and piracy problems with Android probably play a bigger role in keeping developers away from Android. The massive success of the S3 and S4 phones suggests that there are Android users out there who are looking at more than just price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just swapped my ipad 2 in and got a ipad air. I was blown away. I've had an ipad since the first one and I remember back then being blown away at how they can fit such a great ecosystem and software into such a thin a flight device. Once having a tablet for awhile you become desensitized to that fact. And I found myself saying, how can this be improved. Well with the ipad air, that feeling of being blown away has returned. I am still beside myself and how light and thin this device is wit even more power. I absolutely recommend an air. Keep in kind I'm partial to apple and am a developer. I'm a web dev by day too though. But the quality of the apps and apples hardware and software got me interested in developing for apple ( plus the fact that there's more revenue there). There's so many great apps for ios, it trumps android and as others have said it's probably because that's where the money is.

I've gotten out if the "tech space" sort of speak now. Not so interested in building my own computers and I'm not a system or network admin but I have found that many people in the tech industry tend to favor android. Most likely due to the flexibility of rooting their phones and the widgets and that it's open. If that's your interest that's fine. But if you want something that just works and have the biggest selection of board games and apps in general and is more on the luxury side of computer hardware, stick with apple. You will not he disappointed with with the air. Don't get me wrong, androids are nice and so are the new windows tablets but I'm telling you my opinion from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike6423 wrote:
I just swapped my ipad 2 in and got a ipad air. I was blown away. I've had an ipad since the first one and I remember back then being blown away at how they can fit such a great ecosystem and software into such a thin a flight device. Once having a tablet for awhile you become desensitized to that fact. And I found myself saying, how can this be improved. Well with the ipad air, that feeling of being blown away has returned. I am still beside myself and how light and thin this device is wit even more power. I absolutely recommend an air. Keep in kind I'm partial to apple and am a developer. I'm a web dev by day too though. But the quality of the apps and apples hardware and software got me interested in developing for apple ( plus the fact that there's more revenue there). There's so many great apps for ios, it trumps android and as others have said it's probably because that's where the money is.

I've gotten out if the "tech space" sort of speak now. Not so interested in building my own computers and I'm not a system or network admin but I have found that many people in the tech industry tend to favor android. Most likely due to the flexibility of rooting their phones and the widgets and that it's open. If that's your interest that's fine. But if you want something that just works and have the biggest selection of board games and apps in general and is more on the luxury side of computer hardware, stick with apple. You will not he disappointed with with the air. Don't get me wrong, androids are nice and so are the new windows tablets but I'm telling you my opinion from my experience.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not just based on Mike's experience, looks like I'll be getting an iPad Air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the money I'd swap my 32GB iPad 2 for an iPad Air in a split second. Like Michael, I was also blown away by the improvements they've made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin T.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be picking up one later this week (I can't take it anymore, I need to play Battle of the Bulge); does it make sense to ignore the 16GB version and just go for the 32GB Air?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Target last week had $200 trade-in for ipad. A lot of people were trading in and getting air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exavier126 wrote:
I might be picking up one later this week (I can't take it anymore, I need to play Battle of the Bulge); does it make sense to ignore the 16GB version and just go for the 32GB Air?

I picked up the 32GB version, JUST IN CASE I end up needing it. Unless you're pretty frugal or delete apps frequently, the 16GB will likely get used up fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
32G is bare minimum. My next iPad will be 64G (if not 128G). It's so incredibly frustrating when you can't even update apps because it says you don't have enough space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just got my hands on an iPad Air this afternoon. VERY nice. I own a 3rd Generation iPad, the first with Retina, and this just blew it out of the water in terms of speed, weight, and size. I wasn't expecting much of a change at all and am really skeptical of the Tick-Tock release schedule that many tech companies are headed towards or are already on like Intel.

Apple is still heads and shoulders above everyone else in the tablet game.

Why?

Developer support. They've built a fantastic model...

Developers flock to it because there are so many rabid customers who will buy for pay apps. Customers flock to it because there are so many developers releasing fantastic apps that are both paid and for pay. So ... more developers join the fray and the cycle repeats.

The problem I've seen with Android is that:

1) You get great manufacturer support for iterative OS updates for about 8 months then it vanishes.

2) The hardware isn't nearly as nice in terms of smooth touchscreen, and battery life.

3) Everyone wants everything free. There's so little money in Android that you get only the biggest developers selling in the marketplace rather than a more even spread of SMB app shops like you get on the iOS devices.

They're cheap which is great. You get a big bang for the buck on paper which is misleading. You're left in 8 months with a device that doesn't run the new hotness from Android unless you're buying from Google directly.

I've not recommended Android tablets to anyone and don't think I will in the near future. I've not recommended many incremental upgrades to the iPad, but the Air is worth the money. The difference between 1 and 2 was pretty big so I recommended that. This is really the first upgrade in 2 years that's been worth the money IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
32G is bare minimum. My next iPad will be 64G (if not 128G). It's so incredibly frustrating when you can't even update apps because it says you don't have enough space.

Yeah, I'm on a 128GB Air, as I was out of room on my old 64GB 3rd-gen iPad. No one ever says "Man, this computer is just too fast and has too much room; I wish I'd pocketed those extra $100 instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.