Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Coatney
Norway
Flateby
Akershus
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

We had a first playtest of this in the Oslo Norway Ares club Wednesday, 16Oct13 - LOTS of GDW Europa grognards therein - and the outcome was informative.

Recent computational science masters graduate Adrian was the southern German commander, and in the 2 or 3 turns we played, he (historically) annihilated the Bryansk Front and was driving on Orel.

Meanwhile, as the northern German commander I decided to concentrate my infantry against his up in the Valday Hills "vacation land" which was REALLY stupid. Although I opened up that front, the terrain made it slow and costly. Around Smolensk I therefore had a smaller-than-historical breakthrough and Rokossovsky pounced on it and wiped out 6. PzDiv, blunting what schwerpunkt my 3.PzGp had.

Indeed, "Get Rokossovsky!" may become a major German operational objective in this, which will be difficult, since Russian generals can be flown out of pockets.

Russian losses were historically heavy: About 5 generals, half the tank brigades, some cavalry divisions, and about 25 (mostly pocketed) rifle divisions.

To play this in one evening, you'll have to play FAST. Better to start right after lunch of a weekend day to play leisurely/enjoyably and finish it up at a reasonable time in the evening. With setup and going over the rules with them, this first game took about 5 hours after only a few turns. With better pre-game organization and experience, I would guess a half hour for each of the 12 gameturns of the German offensive.

Against the odds, "Red Air Ace" Jan's Bryansk Front Aviation unit shot down Adrian's VIII. Fliegerkorps (for 2 turns) on the first turn - air-to-air combat has been changed to avert that, unless the German tries something at extended/double range - and I had to loan him my II.FK.

Adrian experimented a little with the Combat Odds Round Off and Expansion Rule and had some good luck with it ... which compensated luck-wise, I suppose.

I have since refined the rules further, providing customized German vs. Russian combat results tables.

The little Battle for Tula sub-game should be playable within an evening, even including the Russian Winter Counteroffensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Coatney
Norway
Flateby
Akershus
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 07:14:41 -0900 Subject: Barbarossa Climax questions To: elcoat@hotmail.com

Greetings from Alaska!

Thanks for designing Barbarossa Climax.

A couple of questions/requests for clarifications:

Disruption - "If they are being attacked, a "-", AD, or AE result from the attack/combat recovers the defending unit from Disruption as the unattacked units were." Could you clarify this? "..were." what?

- Like the *un*attacked units were recovered from Disruption *prior* to attack resolutions.

"STACKING" LIMIT: There also appears to be a hexside attacking limit. Is this correct?

- It's for the hex, with an additional limitation attacking across a hex-side *into* a swamp or other stacking-limiting kind of terrain.

ZONES OF CONTROL: "However, it may not do so if leaving or entering the EZOCs of 2 German divisions." Two in one hex? One each in two different hexes?

- Either. Perceptive question.

Russian Army HQs: "...but when they move, they must always be closer to a Russian unit or friendly city or town than to German." Could you clarify this? Is this "remain closer...than to a German unit"? How about equidistant?

- Closer, like figuring a supply line.

"Index" A and B columns on several tables are not defined. Does the player rollling the die do the choosing? Is it one of your signature design features?

- Yes it is, Nelson. If you like 1s, use the index where 1s are best. If you like 6s, use that one. Feel free to switch at any time ... and watch your rolls go opposite to what you want anyway.

It appears PANIC! in Moscow is a two diice roll action. (I'm listening to the audiobook "The Greatest Battle" by Andrew Nagorski - this rule is a nice touch)

Which units comprise the Siberian Reserve Reinforcements?

- They are from the replacement pile - equal to normal turn replacements, except they are the strongest units available and they come in as reinforcements - Undisrupted. This is under the Siberian Reserve rule.

I'd use rules numbers but there aren't any

- Yeah, yeah.

Feel free to post replies on Consimworld.

Thanks again.

- Thank YOU, grognard Nelson, for your interest in BC. Do you have anyone to play it against over there?

Nelson Isada Anchorage AK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.