Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Credit Dumping / Tollbooth Dodging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You run a server. They rez tollbooth at 2.3. You know you are not going to break it and the run will end. If you proceed to 3. on the chart you will have to pay 3 credits to tollbooth, bringing you down to 0 credits.

If you could somehow go down to 2 credits you would not have to pay Tollbooth at all. You have the paid ability window at 2.3 to spend credits. Obviously you could install a cheap program with a Clone Chip or take token off Personal Workshop. That will get you down to 2.

But what if you don't have that? You just have a Corroder on the table. Can you uselessly pump it during 2.3 just to get rid of a credit, and in effect save two credits? Are there other useless ways to spend a credit to dodge Tollbooth's wrath? Is there any other card besides tollbooth you would want to dump credits to avoid? I guess Datapike. Any others?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment Lukas has said you can pump the corroder's strength, even though it will have no effect since its not in an encounter. I don't know if you can pay to break a subroutine which isn't there, since there is no currently encountered ice.

You can certainly use PW/Clonechip etc to lower your money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
At the moment Lukas has said you can pump the corroder's strength, even though it will have no effect since its not in an encounter. I don't know if you can pay to break a subroutine which isn't there, since there is no currently encountered ice.

You can certainly use PW/Clonechip etc to lower your money.


Do you have a link to that feedback from Lukas? That's interesting.

I was thinking about this same thing the other day: In regard to a breakers paid abilities, where does it say, "You can only do these paid abilities when the breaker will be used against encountered Ice"?

It came up when I was explaining paid abilities to a new player and I didn't have an answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah its not in the rules that you can't use breaker's at other times... just that Strength boost/decrease only lasts for the current encounter, and you can only interact with the currently encountered ice if its Strength is the same or less than the icebreaker's strength. This means there is nothing useful to do with icebreakers outside an encounter (other than DeusX prevention ability) and so no point using their abilities outside an encounter.

Question on Corroder:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13818021#13818021
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to check if I can spend money on cards on Personal Workshop when the Corp player rezzes Tollbooth so that I don't have to pay the credits into icebreakers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
I'd like to check if I can spend money on cards on Personal Workshop when the Corp player rezzes Tollbooth so that I don't have to pay the credits into icebreakers.


Absolutely. The rezzing ice step is referenced in the OP (Step 2.3) That step is not only limited to the rezzing of ice as other items can be rezzed and paid abilities can be used (by both sides).

Once the corp has rezzed the ice (and any other items), the priority would shift back to the runner to utilize any paid abilities they wish.

The Tollbooth toll does not happen until the encounter begins so there is a small window there for dumping credits into something like Personal Workshop.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. As an observation, there's a very narrow window where this would be useful. You'd have to have 3 or 4 credits, and you dump down to 2 credits, so you can save 1-2 credits. Or I guess, if you have stuff to spend it on PW, you can have more.
But saving the ~3 credits by dumping them into PW seems awfully costly since you lose tempo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrthefter wrote:
Interesting. As an observation, there's a very narrow window where this would be useful. You'd have to have 3 or 4 credits, and you dump down to 2 credits, so you can save 1-2 credits. Or I guess, if you have stuff to spend it on PW, you can have more.
But saving the ~3 credits by dumping them into PW seems awfully costly since you lose tempo.


I actually had exactly 4 credits in the last game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:
You run a server. They rez tollbooth at 2.3. You know you are not going to break it and the run will end. If you proceed to 3. on the chart you will have to pay 3 credits to tollbooth, bringing you down to 0 credits.

If you could somehow go down to 2 credits you would not have to pay Tollbooth at all. You have the paid ability window at 2.3 to spend credits. Obviously you could install a cheap program with a Clone Chip or take token off Personal Workshop. That will get you down to 2.

But what if you don't have that? You just have a Corroder on the table. Can you uselessly pump it during 2.3 just to get rid of a credit, and in effect save two credits? Are there other useless ways to spend a credit to dodge Tollbooth's wrath? Is there any other card besides tollbooth you would want to dump credits to avoid? I guess Datapike. Any others?


We've already debated this and received the ruling from Lukas L. here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13818021#13818021
2 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Apreche wrote:
You run a server. They rez tollbooth at 2.3. You know you are not going to break it and the run will end. If you proceed to 3. on the chart you will have to pay 3 credits to tollbooth, bringing you down to 0 credits.

If you could somehow go down to 2 credits you would not have to pay Tollbooth at all. You have the paid ability window at 2.3 to spend credits. Obviously you could install a cheap program with a Clone Chip or take token off Personal Workshop. That will get you down to 2.

But what if you don't have that? You just have a Corroder on the table. Can you uselessly pump it during 2.3 just to get rid of a credit, and in effect save two credits? Are there other useless ways to spend a credit to dodge Tollbooth's wrath? Is there any other card besides tollbooth you would want to dump credits to avoid? I guess Datapike. Any others?


We've already debated this and received the ruling from Lukas L. here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13818021#13818021


Excellent - thanks for the link.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.