Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall the rules stating when existing laws take effect. A natural assumption would be in the Capitol Hill phase following the presidential option of revoking a law, and prior to the drawing of the two additional Legislation cards. "All existing laws remaining take effect" should be inserted between the two actions listed above.

Also, Capitol Hill is about Congress, as the Legislative branch of government is responsible for the passage of laws. Shouldn't there be a White House phase prior to the Capitol Hill phase whereby the president takes an Executive Privilege card and possibly revokes an existing law; and then the Capitol Hill phase whereby all existing laws remaining take effect, two additional Legislation cards are revealed, protests are satisfied if able to do so, and three additional pieces of Legislation are passed. If this were divided between the Capitol Hill phase and the White House phase, it would seem plausible that the player receiving the most campaign contributions would have his choice of becoming president (with its responsibilities), or becoming a member of congress (with their responsibilities). The player receiving the second most campaign funding would then become the remaining personality. This would enable "the balance of power" to take effect. Its just a thought. Thanks - Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't follow what you mean by "all existing laws remaining take effect." Existing laws are already in effect from when they were passed. What specifically would happen when they "take effect"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim - If a piece of legislation with a law symbol was passed on the first turn (for example), wouldn't that law remain in effect for the remainder of the game unless it was revoked by the president? If so, wouldn't the "effects" of the law (entertainment and media business' have a -$2 income, technology business' have a +$2 income, etc) occur at some point on turn two and throughout the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The effects of the laws are ongoing and typically have no effect that would occur during the campaign trail and capitol hill phases. The laws that affect income, for example, affect only the main street phase. So, maybe you just want to clarify that existing laws remain in effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

Laws are always in effect after they have been passed until they are revoked. For example, for the technology businesses have +$2 income law, whenever a technology consumer card comes up, all technology businesses get an extra $2*. If laws only have an effect at a specific time (like the PATRIOT Act, which is used by the president once a turn), the law specifies that.

I think you're on to something with separate Presidential/Congressional phases... I think this would make the game a more realistic simulation. I'm not sure if the added complexity would make the game more fun, though... that's something that would need to be tested. If you get a chance to try it out, please share what your experience is like!

* It's slightly more complicated than that, because whenever a technology business makes money it gets $2, even if it's making money from another industry. For example, if I have a food/technology business and the +$2 technology law is in play, I get an extra $2 when food gets consumed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've got it now. Thanks to both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.