Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cardwarden [+] [View All]
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found a place on BGG (or anywhere for that matter) where people are discussing the ins and outs of Card Warden. I'm hoping this can be a mixture of an FAQ, feature requests and creative dumping ground for this amazing app. I'll start.

General Questions:

- I saw someone had created tokens using the mage knight tiles and was able to shuffle, draw and place the tiles on the table. Awesome! Is there a way to define the table size and/or pan the table around? It seems like you'd quickly run out of space with a normal sized mage knight map.
- Is there a way to move decks around? I imported a handful of T-Stone heroes, weapons, items, spells, villagers and monsters into the box. Now if I import more, they won't be all grouped nicely. Not a big deal, but wanted to check to see if I'm just not seeing this.

Feature Requests:

- 3 and 4 player multiplayer? I love that I can play 2 player, but most of the games I play are best with 3. If we could get 1 or 2 more players into the game, this app would jump from amazing to stupendous. I was just curious if there are any plans for this.
- 120 decks and 1000 unique cards per box still seems limiting (silly, I know), but more would always be better. I think a good number to shoot for would be 1 deck for each unique dominion card out there. That maybe 12 dominion games X 25 cards? 300 would be a pretty nice upgrade.

Creative:

- Escape: Curse of the Temple? I might have to try that tonight.
- Licensed boxes? I'm not sure how much demand for this there would be, but what if AEG or some company talked to Card Warden about licensing their cards for the app. Companies spend a bazillion dollars creating an app for the app store to make some extra cash on their fantastic games. For FAR less money, they could create a Card Warden box/pack/set/expansion of cards that download directly into the app for $2, $5, $10 or whatever. Everyone wins, more people use Card Warden, the games get more exposure which means more people want the physical version and the companies get a lot of benefit for very little investment. Obviously, some work would have to go into making sure the assets were locked down and not share-able, but it's totally doable. Oh well, just brainstorming.

Praise:

- Card Warden is awesome. It might be the best 2 dollars I've ever spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still trying to understand how its different than Lackey? Been looking for good general info beyond the homepage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here tonight to basically start a thread just like this.
This app seems amazing and would like to know how to use it better
to prototype my games.

Tokens: I don not know how to stack or shuffle tokens.

Card Size: Can you multiple sizes for different cards.
By this I really mean I have playing card size cards but I
also have some larger player aids and mats. (I did think if you could have background
images for the side tables would be a work around for my issue)

Odd shaped cards/aids. I have a couple long rectangular tracking sheets.

I wish you can lock different side boxes/chests for multiplayer. The problem I face is that I cannot make a
traditional one player on top/ second on bottom
without the bottom chest that hides cards in multiplayer block the very cards I want to put in there.

Will update later with more questions/requests.

Love the app. Amazing how quickly it was to get to 80% were I want it.

Thanks for the designer of app (also designer of card importer program too!) and any who help this thread/ project.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Repeating Kits
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Better inform the designer of the existence of this thread.

@mike_azzara

http://cardwarden.com

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/imakegames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ni L
msg tools
badge
Snappleman wrote:
I haven't found a place on BGG (or anywhere for that matter) where people are discussing the ins and outs of Card Warden. I'm hoping this can be a mixture of an FAQ, feature requests and creative dumping ground for this amazing app. I'll start.

General Questions:

- I saw someone had created tokens using the mage knight tiles and was able to shuffle, draw and place the tiles on the table. Awesome! Is there a way to define the table size and/or pan the table around? It seems like you'd quickly run out of space with a normal sized mage knight map.
- Is there a way to move decks around? I imported a handful of T-Stone heroes, weapons, items, spells, villagers and monsters into the box. Now if I import more, they won't be all grouped nicely. Not a big deal, but wanted to check to see if I'm just not seeing this.

Feature Requests:

- 3 and 4 player multiplayer? I love that I can play 2 player, but most of the games I play are best with 3. If we could get 1 or 2 more players into the game, this app would jump from amazing to stupendous. I was just curious if there are any plans for this.
- 120 decks and 1000 unique cards per box still seems limiting (silly, I know), but more would always be better. I think a good number to shoot for would be 1 deck for each unique dominion card out there. That maybe 12 dominion games X 25 cards? 300 would be a pretty nice upgrade.

Creative:

- Escape: Curse of the Temple? I might have to try that tonight.
- Licensed boxes? I'm not sure how much demand for this there would be, but what if AEG or some company talked to Card Warden about licensing their cards for the app. Companies spend a bazillion dollars creating an app for the app store to make some extra cash on their fantastic games. For FAR less money, they could create a Card Warden box/pack/set/expansion of cards that download directly into the app for $2, $5, $10 or whatever. Everyone wins, more people use Card Warden, the games get more exposure which means more people want the physical version and the companies get a lot of benefit for very little investment. Obviously, some work would have to go into making sure the assets were locked down and not share-able, but it's totally doable. Oh well, just brainstorming.

Praise:

- Card Warden is awesome. It might be the best 2 dollars I've ever spent.

It's great to see other people finding out how wonderful this $2 app really is.

With regards to Mage Knight tiles, they behave like other tokens, except that the app still treats them as having a small token size, so you have to tap them in the right spot. Depending on how you created the transparent png, you should aim for the center. Tokens should stack into decks and shuffle just like normal cards, since they are basically cards with transparency enabled and a smaller area of "touch".

To pan, tap on load and on the left side, you'll see a checkbox with Enable Card panning. This will slide all cards at the same time, including off screen. Personally, I just sized my tiles so that everything fits on the given screen. Also, make sure you enable single card selection (right below panning) to avoid moving your tiles when you move units around.

There's currently no way to delete cards or neatly move decks. You could delete all cards in one deck and recreate the deck, but that's a little too fussy for my taste.

My focus has been on solo games, so I have no multiplayer comments.

I too need more everything. More card space (for Sentinels, Runebound and Hornet Leader), more decks (if I get more Thunderstone) and more game boxes. Right now I get around by shuffling backups, but I wouldn't mind carrying around more games (or restoring without using iTunes)

The main difference between CardWarden and Lackey is that the latter is not available on iPad. (Even though it was promised more than a year ago). If either Lackey or OCTGN were available on iOS, we'd have a decent platform for multiplayer card game like Android or Mage Wars. Also, these allow to hide certain cards from players and to automate certain actions via script. Neither is possible with CardWarden.

I wouldn't hold my breath for licensed content just yet. I created a PNP module with the blessing of its designer, but from what I can see, sharing modules entails sharing images with no way to drm it, and publishers are loathe to do that.

With regards to card size, the only way I've thought of adding larger sized cards is to incorporate them directly into the background.
Pathfinder example

This is not ideal for every situation. Another way is to scan player aids, like resolution tables or sequence of play as play and tap on them to zoom when you need to refer to them. Clunky, but best we got for now.

I've got a bunch of tips I've posted around the boards, I could consolidate them here if any are interested. Until then, back to creating more modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rookism wrote:

I've got a bunch of tips I've posted around the boards, I could consolidate them here if any are interested. Until then, back to creating more modules.

Yes please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I posted this in another thread but this might be more relevant here :

Hello,

anyone having some issues with the latest version?

I have finally added Ascension DU to CW and created the decks, but when I want to add some decks to the Game Table, it crashes.
What is weird for instance, is that I can add 1 deck (depending on which one I select) but when I want to add another copy of this same deck, the app crashes...
Sometimes, it crashes just after I add a single deck.

I really wanted to try DU :-(

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - I felt this was an appropriate place to put a question on CardWarden use.

Is there support for non-poker sized cards? I'm trying to set up Friday, which has narrow cards.

Thanks in advance
Luke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mullins

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing I can say is to stretch the cards to fit. I had to squish down one of the Aether Pirates games, and it looke a little funny, but did fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread somewhere a outs that specifically talks about importing Friday to card warden. It gives useful tips on which orientation you should import the cards in to make the game flow more smoothly. I know I referenced it a bit when I was first trying to do this. Scour the forums a bit and you will find it, sorry I'm too tired this late on a Sunday to do it, but rest assured the info is out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas salley

Alabama
msg tools
Is there a PC/Mac program with this same functionality? I've looked at vassal, but it's too complicated. Most of the card programs seem better designed for single deck per player game (I want to play Pathfinder). I want cardwarden, just with a lot more real estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas,

Sure, there are quite a few alternative virtual tabletop programs for Mac & Windows PCs.

Take a look at Battlegrounds Gaming Engine. I suggest watching this tutorial video to quickly get an idea of how the program functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have online multiplayer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graffspree wrote:
Is there a PC/Mac program with this same functionality? I've looked at vassal, but it's too complicated. Most of the card programs seem better designed for single deck per player game (I want to play Pathfinder). I want cardwarden, just with a lot more real estate.

+1

If CardWarden was Kickstarted for Android and PC/MAC, it would be a massive hit.

I've tried all the other PC options (Vassal, Lackey, OCTGN, etc.) and they all have an exponentially higher learning curve and require way too much coding.

They're great if you're trying to automate game functions but for the simple tasks that CardWarden can do they are just too much work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please post the image sizes that need to be used fort he following?

Game Table

Card "outline" i.e. what dimension would a box drawn o the table need to be to fit a card? I want to make backgrounds with setup areas for games like Thunderstone, etc.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have started a Cardwarden User Group here on BGG using the guild feature. Not sure how it will all shake out, but should be a helpful reference.

Cardwarden User Group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.