Bill D.
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was curious if anyone has a picture of all the introductory legend cards?

I ask as this past weekend I tried firing up the game (I got it for my friend as a gift) and from what I read starting the game on a whim should have been "easy" (it wasn't). Within 20 minutes the game was back in the box and we instead had a blast playing Pathfinder the Adventure card game and setback.

I'd like to read through the cards to really get a grip on the sequence of events that's supposed to play out. I could not stop cycling between the legend cards, "quick"-start rules, and reference sheet to figure out what we were supposed to actually do and when. I found it very irritating that there were a hundred (exaggerating) cards just to say one quip about something and wondering whether or not you're supposed to do anything, draw another card, or who knows what. I've played some heavy hitter rules game such as Arkham Horror, World of Warcraft, and Descent and never experienced the hassle as I did with this game. At any rate I believe the intro card would help "prep" for the next game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that something went awry here, as Andor is not complicated at all, especially compared to the extremely fiddly Arkham Horror and nuanced Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill D.
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I think it's me. This way of introducing a game is totally new and for whatever reason my brain didn't click with it. I don't mind a heavy manual and churning through 10-20 pages (pretty pictures help). Another downside is I just about always pre-read the rules and do a mock setup with any new board game. Since it was my friend's game we pretty much broke the plastic the same night we played. The main confusion was when drawing a legend card it tells you when to draw the next legend card but the next card didn't really mention at what point to do something. We got as far as moving to collect the tokens for the first legend card but after that it didn't really click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I've played the first legend, but the flow is something like, "Complete this goal, and then flip a card to reveal the next goal." Basically, you are working to fulfill a goal until the game gives you an alternate or secondary goal to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill D.
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually found a nice let's play through on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TragicTheBlathering/videos

Just search 'Legends' and you'll see his series.

Show's all the cards and nicely shows how to go about the intro legend (but even he got a bit tripped up and had to do some re-takes in regards to this new style of introducing a game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing it alone first. That's what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The game is vastly non-traditional, and amazingly awesome, in how easy it is to get out, setup and teach.

But if you can't relax into "read this sheet and just do everything it says" - and I mean you have no idea how many posts there are from people who skip one step and thats all they did is just not read, not follow simple instructions - well you are going to have a bad time.

I think the game is just brilliantly designed, but it is getting a mixed reception due to the sheer difference of its ingenuity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thoroughly confused by this thread.

I loved how this game does things differently and uses an introduction scenario to help players get into the game. You can start playing in 10 minutes after opening the box. We did it with complete non-gamers and had a blast.

Just take the quick-start guide and start reading. Then do exactly what is written on the guide and on all cards it refers to. I thought it was a fool-proof system, but apparently it wasnt. You sure you were not overthinking things or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.