Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
When you sell trade goods as an action (and have no cube in Lisboa at all), could you use the cubes that you just returned, as a banker to mark your wealth?

I'm pretty confident the answer is yes, but just to make sure everyone thinks the same as me.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, the rules say so. It is a good rule I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely 'yes'.

During you turn you can convert 'hired' markers into historians or bankers at any moment you desire, and this does not cost you an action [and vice versa, but they return to Lisbon].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
yes, the rules say so. It is a good rule I think.

moorwild wrote:
Definitely 'yes'.

During you turn you can convert 'hired' markers into historians or bankers at any moment you desire, and this does not cost you an action [and vice versa, but they return to Lisbon].

Perfect, just what I thought. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned this at my local bar's game night... great game! Another one I have to buy now.

I have to say, though, it was probably the most frustrating game I've ever played, just because we were all learning it, and, even though I was the one who read the rulebook beforehand, the other 3 (well, 2 of the 3... 1 was just along for the ride it seemed) were fighting me on every rule... and because they were 2 against 1 they were rolling their eyes like "ugg, he just doesn't get it", and I'm like "no, you just don't get it", and we'd scour the rule book, and every time... every... single... time... I was right. You'd think after 4 or 5 times they'd start taking my word for it. But, no.

Anyway, the one (1) rule that I couldn't definitively prove was how I said it was was this rule... if you have no (zero) cubes on Lisbon, and no (zero) cubes on your banker track, can you sell some goods and immediately use those cubes you just removed from the goods spots to mark your money on the banker track?

I said you could, but again they argued me on it, and since I couldn't find an explicit sentence in the rule book that said you could (and they couldn't find one that said you couldn't) they just said "okay, let's vote on it... whatta ya know.. we win".

So, I'm just interested in the official ruling. The replies to the OP here said "yes, it says so in the rule book", but, I can't find it. Where does it state this?

I'm fairly confident we played incorrectly also because the disputed rule made any kind of engine building a lot slower than it should have been. The guy who won the game did practically nothing but race to the end, gathering VPs by discovering cities. The game was over before anyone could jumpstart an economy. There was a total of 1 market bought by all 4 players combined before he ended the game. And I'm thinking, this is not how the game should be played, but I can still see a good game here, if played correctly.

Anyway, just looking for clarification of the rule. Sorry for the extra, extra, extra long-winded, overly verbose post... just blowing off steam from the most frustrating first-play ever. NOT the game's fault though, in any way. Fantastic game. I WILL buy this. Well, unless you say I'm wrong though.

Just kidding.

Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
zenpunk wrote:
Sorry for the extra, extra, extra long-winded, overly verbose post... just blowing off steam from the most frustrating first-play ever.

Don't apologise. It was enjoyable seeing a posting and an avatar in perfect sync.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Scherker
United States
Odessa
Florida
flag msg tools
Omni
badge
Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally I don't think the cubes involved in an action should be able to become the banker or historian to record the wealth/points gained by that action.

I elaborate on this in my reply in the VP/Bank Rules post. But I play that free actions must happen before an action or after it, but not while it's executing.

I'd really like to see an official clarification on this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Scherker
United States
Odessa
Florida
flag msg tools
Omni
badge
Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I geek mailed the game designer and got the following answer:

HISASHI HAYASHI
(okazuhyper)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Subject: Re:Sail to India
rscherker wrote:
Hello,

Sorry to bother you, I was wondering if you would give an answer about the Sail To India rule issues in this forum thread.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180428/vpbank-rules

The questions are: 1) can you use a trade good cube that is returning to Lisboa to create a banker/historian to record your wealth/vp?

AND

2) If you have only one cube, a ship, and it discovers a new coastal town. Can you use a free action to turn that ship into a historian, so the VP is not lost?

Thank you for your help.

Russell

Thank you for playing our game!

I answer questions.
1)Yes.
2)Yes.

Regards,
Hisashi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mr Hayashi!

Moral of the story..."any time" really does mean any time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.