Popular Tags: [View All]
Mingyu
China
Shenzhen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second review. Hello again!

I play with a mixed group of gamers and non-gamers. As the self-appointed CTO, I'm always on the lookout for the perfect mixed-group game, namely one with these qualities:

meeple The criteria

Shortness. Our sessions are usually 1-2 hours, and ideally we'd play at least two games per session.

Simplicity. The rules need to be simple and intuitive enough that even the youngest player can dive straight in.

Luck. Adds replayability and helps balance out the skill disparity (so everyone has a chance at winning).

Depth. Keeps the strategists happy. Also contributes to replayability.

Clarity. The iconography needs to be clear and straightforward, even for players with poor eyesight.

Interaction. Room for alliances/screwage = yes! Multiplayer solitaire = big no-no.

Theme. Adds excitement and gives us something to talk about.

meeple How did Forbidden Island fare?

[3/5] Shortness. Forbidden Island is short all right, though the down time from all the 'flood' stages makes it seem longer than it actually is.

[4/5] Simplicity. The rules are simple enough. The only issue we have is with the diver - can they go around the perimeter of the island? In the iOS app this isn't allowed so that's what we went with.

[4/5] Luck. The characters you get in the beginning play a big part in how the game will play out, as does the order of the location cards.

[2/5] Depth. There are a few difficulty settings, and you can arrange the modular board into new shapes, but that's about it. Most likely you'll find you have an obvious optimal path on every turn.

[3/5] Clarity. The artwork is beautiful but some of the tiles look rather similar to each other. Also the colouring for the Cave of Shadows is a bit too close to that of its 'flooded' state (reverse side of the tile).

[2/5] Interaction. This is a cooperative game, so there is a risk of one player stealing the show...this frequently happens in my group.

[5/5] Theme. The theme is where this game really shines: as the water rises the feeling of impending doom is palpable. Prepare for anguished cries of "SAVE THE HELIPAD!!" The exquisite statues/treasure also add to the atmosphere.

meeple Final score
[3/5] Ok game, will play again.
Forbidden Island is an interesting little game with a unique mechanism. One of our group loves it, most don't mind playing it, and one refuses to play 'that childish game' (their loss!) Play it end-to-end though and it gets stale fast, so we bring it out only on the odd occasion. That said, I'll not be getting rid of it any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out Pandemic, if you haven't already. It's a great "next step" after you wear out Forbidden Island!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Aletheia wrote:
Be sure to check out Pandemic, if you haven't already. It's a great "next step" after you wear out Forbidden Island!

Pandemic is a good game; but for a major improvement on Forbidden Island, play Forbidden Desert! It's far better than both Pandemic and Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Aletheia wrote:

Pandemic is a good game; but for a major improvement on Forbidden Island, play Forbidden Desert! It's far better than both Pandemic and Forbidden Island.

Totally forgot about Forbidden Desert! I really need to check it out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the down time from all the 'flood' stages makes it seem longer than it actually is.

I don't understand that. When we flood the island, it only takes a few seconds, and everyone is paying close attention because it's an exciting part of the game.

Perhaps we're just not as good as your group, but we don't always see an optimal path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mingyu
China
Shenzhen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Quote:
the down time from all the 'flood' stages makes it seem longer than it actually is.

I don't understand that. When we flood the island, it only takes a few seconds, and everyone is paying close attention because it's an exciting part of the game.

Perhaps we're just not as good as your group, but we don't always see an optimal path.

Not that we spend hours flipping over cards, it's just that there are often times when the next player jumps right in and we have to remind them that the drawing and flooding phases haven't been done yet.

Pandemic takes a wee bit too long, but Forbidden Desert sure looks good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.