Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never truely been a big fan of the quest book being completely public knowledge. It takes away some of the surprise and decision making that inherently comes with adventuring. It also leads to everyone trying to pick the easiest quest for their side to win. When I was younger, OK so who am I kidding, I still enjoy the Choose Your Own Adventure style story telling method.

I wanted to see who on here might be interested in some sort of Choose Your Own Adventure style storybook that gives the Heroes the opportunity to pick and choose what path to follow through the campaign in hopes of defeating the OL, without the knowledge of what they are walking into. The OL on the other hand should have access to the quest book to determine his choice, when he wins, as he is behind all the dastardly deeds and knows what his gameplan is.

The idea would be to develop a story for each campaign, that would be versatile enough to include the rumor quests and give the heroes limited information with which to make their decision about the next quest. The information will change based on what previous quests have been completed and who won those quests, what the heroes should know, where they may have received that information from, who they have access to as a ally, who they may have saved during the course of the campaign, etc.

Anyways, just a thought on something that might add a level of adventuring to the game, while not detracting too much from the decision making process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you just want to play D&D but with the Descent combat system. Why not just do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you're referring to the D&D board games. If they have a similar mechanic, I'm unaware of that as I don't play them.

I'm simply looking for something more than, "OK we won, which is the next easiest quest?" or "What can we get out of it if we win?" or "What are the win conditions?" Having access to all of that information prior to decided which quest to play takes the adventuring out of it. You know exactly what you are getting into.

To me, it would be more fun to have limited information (not to mention, more realistic) about the upcoming quests. Since the maps and goals are always the same, the only thing that really changes are the open groups. From what I remember of the limited Descent First Edition Campaigns I played, the maps were random in nature, no matter where you went you never really knew what you were getting into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just referring to D&D or any RPG in general. The board games are very dumbed down, I don't like them.

Basically, the overlord (DM) makes quests and the heroes run through them discovering new things and killing monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to remove hero choice when they win, why not just roll a die to determine which quest to choose? After First Blood, roll a d6...

1. A Fat Goblin
2. Castle Daerion
3. The Cardinal's Plight
4. The Masquerade Ball
5. Death on the Wing
6. Reroll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not looking to remove the choice, but I am looking to reduce the amount of information available, or possibly vary the information based on previous choices/quest results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I have been doing something similar as well, because yes I do like a little bit more story in my Descent, but not the amount that a D&D requires.
Every time that we as a group get to the second half of a campaign, we completely forget what happened in the quests before. We do know who won, who lost, what kind of stuff we had to do and what got killed, but the story behind it all... that's all long forgotten by then. Which is a shame because the second act definitely ties into what happened in act 1.

I have tried to do a little roleplaying as an Overlord when the group of heroes is in Arhynn or on the road. This does not conflict with being an Overlord at all and even engages you during a phase where the Overlord normally has nothing to do.

When they arrive or when you start in Arhynn, just paint the picture of how everything looks. The further in the campaign the worse things are for the people of Arhynn. There is of course the marketplace where they can get their items and there should also be a lot of sources for them to get info on what quests they can pick from (easiest is of course to have a young minstrel notify them of the tales of woe he has been hearing or something like that).

To give them an idea what kind of quest they are facing (hard, easy, with xp or loot at the end) I usually hint at stuff like that. If they pay attention they can make the best choice for them without a problem.

The thing I noticed is that it shouldn't take too long, because all the heroes usually just want to get going on their quest and clobber some monsters. But everyone is definitely a lot more engaged when you give their quests a little more flavour.

I usually try to come up with stuff myself, but an adventure book which gives you pointers would be a nice addition. Especially one those days where you don't really have the time to prepare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As our group plays, we never read the quests beforehand..
We even read the quest book encounter after encounter.

For example when we play a quest with 2 encounters, if the 1st says that something from the 1st encounter is important in the 2nd encounter we are all guessing how it will influence the next encounter ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
Definitely not looking to remove the choice, but I am looking to reduce the amount of information available, or possibly vary the information based on previous choices/quest results.

The problem with this is that it doesn't work after the first time. You can play once and then it's obsolete, because everybody already knows what a given quest is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand and can agree with that to a point. I would venture to guess that most folk would have an idea of what is coming from having played it before, but they aren't going to remember absolutely everything about a quest unless they have a photographic memory or have played the quest enough times, like they would if they were looking directly at the quest book going, "Ok, here's what we're looking at."

Also, I'm coming at this from the point of view of a gaming group that only gets together 1 time a month (occassionally 2 times) to play. Much more time to forget things in that time of setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Just have no one read the quests ahead of time and pick based on the quest name, or perhaps have a small text description of each quest with the possible reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What some groups do is read only the opening flavor text and choose quests based on that. That way, they have an idea for what they're getting into in a general sense, but don't have the specifics.

This gets very much into variant territory, because not providing the heroes with complete information can potentially benefit the overlord a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Quote:
This gets very much into variant territory, because not providing the heroes with complete information can potentially benefit the overlord a lot.

Why? Just don't have the overlord read the quests ahead of time either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP mentioned that he would want the overlord to have complete knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.