Subject: A game like Downfall of Pompeii rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oceluna (jueguetistorias)
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I open this thread in order to ask for your advice.

I was happy because of the second edition of the game, Downfall of Pompeii... but I´ve heard that its components are really really poor quality
For this reason, I´m looking for a boardgame with a similar mechanic. Do you know any? Or, is it still worth to buy it even with so bad components?

Thanks a lot!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the new edition, and I don't see problems with the component quality. It's not like "FFG wow," but I wasn't expecting it to be. I also never saw the first version, so I don't have that for comparison. As far as an alternative, the closest would probably be Survive: Escape from Atlantis!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bag for the lava tiles are low quality, but the components of the 2nd edition are not. Escape is okay. The two games are kind of the same, but I find that the decisions in Escape are not as interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pompeii is pretty unique in what it does, but if what you like is covering other players' pieces with lava: Taluva

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is good for "throwing other people under the bus".
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown also has a bit of this as you can send opponents' ships off the edge of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers!! Likely, I thought components were worst than really be, so sunner or latter I´ll get the game (May be in the Secret Santa wishlist... hummmm ninja

Because of your commentaries, I can guess that Pompeii is a little better than Survive, Isn´t it?

What I don´t know if Taluva is a great game too for buy so many games... Now, it is in the cart of my next order, but I go on excess of my budget because the cart is so filled!!! I don´t know what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oceluna wrote:
I can guess that Pompeii is a little better than Survive, Isn´t it?

Entirely subjective. Survive is higher ranked with a better rating. It has also been out for 30+ years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just bought the second edition of Downfall of Pompeii the other day, and I have to say I didn't think the components were any worse than other games in its price range.

Beyond that, my wife and I had a blast playing it. It was easy to learn, and it played quickly which is a big plus for us.

Personally, I suggest giving it a chance if you think the gameplay is something you would enjoy in spite of what you've heard about the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all you again!

At last, I've decided to buy Pompeii, although without hurry By now, it's in my wishlist

BTW, I ended up buying Taluva, and we played our first game yesterday!! It's a bit different than I thought, quite abstract, I need more plays to know, although it looks like a good game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.