Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am designing a board game and am trying to develop a real time combat system that enables strategic/tactical and meaningful choices. Everything I have come up with does not work in a real time environment. There are too many attack types and unit types to resolve combat at a glance (15 seconds or less). If I start stripping it away, the strategy peels aways with it.

My goal is to allow the player to assemble squads with units of varying strengths and specialties. Strategy will need to be changed on the fly depending on what the opponent is using. Combat is non randomized in most cases, and needs to be resolved in 15 seconds or less.

Has anyone attempted this with any degree of success? Right now I have pages and pages of notes detailing unit types, tiers, attack and damage and aarmor types, damage formulas, etc... but again, it all seems like too much for a real time system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love real time combat games.

Brawl and Frenzy handle the concept well, but each is tactical where you seem to be looking strategic level.

You should muddle through those and steal what bits work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've heard good things about Brawl. I will look into both, thanks for the suggestion.

Basically I am looking for a system that will allow players to play a hand of 1 to 5 units, and at a glance be able to decipher the symbols, numbers and outcome. Anything so simple removes the elements of strategy I am trying to crib from RTS video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might you be able to set up something like 1st & Goal, where each card lists the possible opposing cards and the corresponding result?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
matt_k wrote:
Might you be able to set up something like 1st & Goal, where each card lists the possible opposing cards and the corresponding result?

This is one of the ideas I need to playtest more. I need to make sure I cover all the unit types I'll need so cards will not need to be ret-conned if I ever expand the game.

I'll look at 1st & goal when I get home. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Dealer has a unique mechanism using hour glasses (if the sand has run through, the action is completed and you startd the next one and turn the hour glasses around!), maybe take a closer look at this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I already decided on sand timers, THEN discovered Space Dealer :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games worth looking at are JAB: Realtime Boxing and Maximum Throwdown.

JAB is a 2 player boxing game played in real time. It has a lot of sub mechanisms, but everything is simple on its own (there's just too much to track at one time, which is the point - you focus on one thing at the cost of another). It uses symbols/shapes and names to distinguish punch types and everything hinges on that. It's really really well done.

Maximum Throwdown isn't real time, but it does use symbols as an "at-a-glance" resolution mechanic. Might be inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.